Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Battery issues in AM DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned
Immanuel has a spectacular aura aboutImmanuel has a spectacular aura aboutImmanuel has a spectacular aura about
Battery issues in AM DB9

How many onwers have dead or low battery issues with AM DB9? Just trying to figure out something.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 AM
rick-dms- is on a distinguished road
a common fault with high battery drain is to do with the bluetooth module, so may be worth mentioning if you have had battery problems if you have this item, i seem to remember a similar problem in the us with the sdars module as well,

Old 07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Banned
Immanuel has a spectacular aura aboutImmanuel has a spectacular aura aboutImmanuel has a spectacular aura about
Working on a project that will help stop this know AM DB9 problem.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned
After doing the reseach I made a retro fit the Otima Yellow top battery. I have been testing it for 2 months now and great battery performance. I custom built a extended 4gauge neg. battery wire and clamps and a extention bolts for the mount.
This is a way better way to solution that the $600 wet cell AM crap, low CCA, bad amp producing Battery. I can build kits of this cheap than one AM Battery.

Last edited by Immanuel; 08-08-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned
A pic.

Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned
<P>
Originally Posted by biggreen
Ther is a fix for both draw issues that the dealer will perform for free if your vehicle has the issue. The real key is correct vehicle storage. If the battery off switch is used and the tender is used generally you wont have an issue with the battery. On the newer cars there is a access hole under the cussion to remove the ground completely but you will need to reset the seat and window memory. I recomend this for long term storage. like any product there will always be a certain percentage that will be faulty, 90 percent of the time it is lack of maintenance that will lead to product failure. We replace an equal amount of Ferrari batteries if not more... completely different brand them Aston.
</P>

And thats why the dealer OWNS you!!!!!! Aston Martin (David Brown's) charging/battery system design is bad. Thats why they have a Battery cut-off switch in the car. TALL-TALE SIGN of using a weak battery!!! My retro-fit fix, you just put it in a forget about it ,FOR MONTHS!!!!!! And I work on and sometimes design all types on performance systems for cars including Aston Martin's, Ferrari 348's and 430's, Viper's, high modded Supras, etc,etc. As a private company for the last 15years. I do FAA approved aircraft electronics/devices and installations as my other business, just to let you know where I am going from. Thats next level stuff from any car systems!!!! So find and fixing this problem was no sweat for me, It just made sence. Not just buying another Aston Martin wet cell vented maintenanced battery for $600 from the dealer like a sucker. Because when those batteries go dead, they are just very weak or just dead. Seriously the battery that Aston Martin put into their cars to crank a high compression V12 motor is a joke. Or using a 2amp battery tender with a Aston Martin name on it making that about $300 bucks if you dont have one with the car . And what Aston Martin dealer performs fixes for free? There was never a recall on the issue. Nothing is free up here in the Northeast coast......................

Last edited by Immanuel; 08-13-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
manny, this would be awesome...its the only thing about my maserati that blows. You think you can figure out a fix for that??? I love what you did with your car. We out to switch sometime btw...I was so close to buying the aston...

Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sechsgang
manny, this would be awesome...its the only thing about my maserati that blows. You think you can figure out a fix for that??? I love what you did with your car. We out to switch sometime btw...I was so close to buying the aston...

We will hook up a day to meet so we can talk about doing that. I know its a common problem. I even had same battery issue with my Viper in the beginning, until I switched out the stock wet cell with the sealed battery. Viper is easier to do as the battery is under the trunk below the bolted panel. The viper has a battery tray under there so you have a some room to play with. As the Aston and Maserati is different because those batteries are in the cabin And I would tell you one thing, I would not want a big wet cell VENTED battery sitting in the cabin behind me!!! Only sealed batts should have been in there. I can work out a retro-fit fix for the Maserati also.

Last edited by Immanuel; 08-13-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Immanuel
We will hook up a day to meet so we can talk about doing that. I know its a common problem. I even had same battery issue with my Viper in the beginning, until I switched out the stock wet cell with the sealed battery. Viper is easier to do as the battery is under the trunk below the bolted panel. The viper has a battery tray under there so you have a some room to play with. As the Aston and Maserati is different because those batteries are in the cabin And I would tell you one thing, I would not want a big wet cell VENTED battery sitting in the cabin behind me!!! Only sealed batts should have been in there. I can work out a retro-fit fix for the Maserati also.

the bat in my maser is actually in the trunk if that makes things easier for u...but ya, well obv hook up and check things out...

Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sechsgang
the bat in my maser is actually in the trunk if that makes things easier for u...but ya, well obv hook up and check things out...
Nice to meet you on Saturday. Nice Maserati!!! I can help you with your issues.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Immanuel
Nice to meet you on Saturday. Nice Maserati!!! I can help you with your issues.
dude, likewise. I definitely think you have the knowhow to figure things out with my pos italian fiama battery too...haha

Old 09-10-2023, 11:32 AM
viglaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi guys,

I have been reading the forum passionately for years but the latest series of events, led me to also become and active member from now onwards.

I would like to start with apologies for taking up your time but I really had no other good source of information. I am in Greece with my UK car and the dealer closed down and have been trying to find a local repairman ever since.

My car is a 30 June 2008 DB9 Facelift (470bhp) with 37500 miles on the meter.

I will give you the series of events that lead to this first:
- My car battery is around 7.5 years old and the previous owner must have replaced it with a simple Varta EFB and not AGM (judging from the price he paid at around 122 pounds beginning of 2017).
- The battery died and I jump started the car
- The car went into "Accident mode" with cabin lights on all the time, even with doors closes, but with everything else working well.
- After driving 20 miles or so, the car went back to "normal", cabin lights went off etc

Now, the last point says "normal" for a reason. I had noticed a little hesitant acceleration when driving those 20 miles, especially between 1500-2000 RPM and gears 4-6 and I was not sure but I thought I noticed a lump at idle too.

Fast forward 4 weeks after summer vacation, battery dead again. I fire up the car with a booster and take it to a shop for a charge. Left it a good 6 hours on the charger. Now, after the charge:

- The car has a check engine light on and clearly audible misfire
- The hesitation when accelerating comes at gears 3-6 1200-2200 RPM

Could this all be the symptoms of a battery just failing to run the car properly? I am very alarmed as the mileage and everything could indicate a coil pack/spark plug job and I am desperate as I do not know what to do in Greece other than take it to Italy to the dealer.

Thank you loads for taking the time to read and apologies for taking up your precious time.

Best regards,
John