Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

RSC Tuning Sport Shift Remap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
RSC Tuning Sport Shift Remap

I recently purchased the sport shift upgrade (remap) from RSC Tuning (rsctuning.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_33_309/products_id/734) for my 2007 V8 Vantage. This is the second item I purchased from RSC Tuning, the other being their version 2 of the Super Sports Exhaust (louder version which I reviewed in August and absolutely love). I worked with Stuart from RSC Tuning on both occasions and he has been a pleasure to work with. He has performed as promised and both times he has met or exceeded my expectations. He kept me well apprised of the status of both parts for each transaction, a welcome change from some vendors. I feel he is pretty knowledgeable and offers good insight on the upgrades/options for the AM V8V and sounds like he is a real car enthusiast at heart. BTW, I have no affiliation with Stuart or RSC Tuning. I am simply a happy customer that wants to pay props where props are due.

Speaking of happy customer, the sport shift remap is AMAZING! Holy cow!!!! Why did the car not come from the factory this way??? I doubt AM would sell many manual transmission cars if it did. It is definitely the best bang for the buck on the sport shift model of the AM V8. I am quite pleased. Shift times are much, much faster and are quite crisp. I think you can compare the bang for the buck quotient up there with an ECU tune on a 996 TT or 997 TT. It is that good and transforms the experience. No, the car is not as fast as a modded 996TT or 997TT.

Unfortunately I have only been able to put about 20 miles on the ODO since the upgrade as the weather here in Chicago currently sucks! In fact, last weekend when I re-installed the TCU (transmission control unit) it was snowing and the wind chill was -10 degrees Fahrenheit! I had to wait until the roads were cleared and it was a bit warmer until I could try it out. The shifts are much, much quicker and there is no more lag between gears. It felt much better than a 2000 Ferrari F360 F1 I drove a few years back. Shifts are much more direct and precise. I drive mostly in manual mode but I made a few test runs on the highway using the sport mode in drive. Holy crap, what a difference there! The car now downshifts from 6th to 4th when passing. I have not tried comfort mode yet as I have never used it in the past so I doubt I will find any use for it here.

Removal and installation of the TCU is quite simple. I find myself pretty mechanically inclined but I feel a novice can handle this project easily. It is almost as easy as unplugging computer RAM or a video card on your PC. I do have a couple of tips if anyone is interested but it is really self-explanatory and quite simple. Upon removal, the TCU was sent to RSC in Miami, which then sent it to the UK for the reprogram. I received the unit back in 8 days and re-installation was a breeze. I considered both the RSC and Paramount version of the TCU remap but I ultimately chose the RSC version as I was impressed with Stuart when I purchased the exhaust. Next up for me is the ECU tune!

Adam

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-15-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: embedded link to commercial non sponsor
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
actually, I had the same impression by ordering items from RSC.
Stuart is a really great person.

Vincent

Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
Going to take the plunge for an RSC ecu remap. I have PM'd him here many times and he has been very cordial. All the great feedback is making me go for it, now to remove the front left wheel while the car is in the garage.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by zambono
Going to take the plunge for an RSC ecu remap. I have PM'd him here many times and he has been very cordial. All the great feedback is making me go for it, now to remove the front left wheel while the car is in the garage.
The ECU remap is next on my list of mods. I was thinking of the best way to access the ECU as well. Option 1, or the easiest, is to bring the car to your local mechanic that has a 4 post lift and remove the tire, etc. there. I am guessing this approach will take about 30 minutes tops.

Option 2 is to use a low profile floor jack and jack stands within the garage. I really like Option 1 better and that is the route I will likely pursue when ready.

Please post your impressions after your car is re-flashed.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 PM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
My car was flashed by Stuart and the change is important, especially under 4000 rpm and above 5000 rpm but it takes about 800 km well feel the change. My next step is the catalyst, I think during January 2010 -> Stuart, reserve me a pair of catalysts

Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
problem with removing the ecu at a shop is what do you do with the car afterwards. You can't start it, and it will take at least a week for the process. more than likely 2.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by zambono
problem with removing the ecu at a shop is what do you do with the car afterwards. You can't start it, and it will take at least a week for the process. more than likely 2.

I don't think it will take 2 weeks to get the ECU back. I received my TCU back in 8 days so the ECU should be no different. You could probably also do rush FedEx to save a few days.

As for bringing it to a shop, I was thinking that once you remove the ECU, reinstall the front wheel, and simply roll the car off to the side somewhere. No need to start it up. I would have to figure out how to put the car in neutral on the sportshift but that is my general thought.

Adam

Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vince_1972
Stuart, reserve me a pair of catalysts
Done!