Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone seen an AM in matte black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 PM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
Anyone seen an AM in matte black?

I was watching a show where they painted a scion that color, and wondered what it would look like on the Vantage. Definitely be unique. Wonder if its hard to maintain?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:17 AM
seattle_s4 will become famous soon enoughseattle_s4 will become famous soon enough
Never seen a Vantage in that color, but I often think about getting mine wrapped in a flat black vinyl. The wraps can be professionally done so it looks just like a paint job, but you can remove it later with no damage if you get bored. $$$$ to get a good wrap done though.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:00 AM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
That looks really nice! Who were you looking at doing the work?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:37 AM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
Very cool, thanks for posting the pics. I think I like the stock unpainted rims better. I know its $2k to wrap the entire front of my car, probably $5k to wrap the whole thing? How much would the actual paint job cost?

If I keep my car for a while, that might be something to consider.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
AstonAficionado will become famous soon enough
The Vantage in the last link with the silver wheels looks hot! Not sure about the black, on black, on black look of the first car though -- seems like something that Michael Phelps would do . . .

http://jalopnik.com/5383386/michael-...car-stupid-hat

Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 PM
element256 will become famous soon enoughelement256 will become famous soon enough
There's one by my house. Looks great in person as compared to pictures.
A full wrap should be $3k and full paint $6k. If it's more than that I'm not sure what you're paying for. I did my last cars exterior in SLR Matte Black for $3k.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM
$3k is a steal. How does this stuff hold up? I can see it as a great way to beat the boredom on a car.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:42 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Prices in Canada for a wrap is approx $4k

Durability in the real world?? They warn that stone chips will go through the vinyl, but most people are not looking at this as a long term solution, as DrScoles's said it's a great way to change up the car. The Gumball recently came through Toronto and 99% of the cars where wrapped and with their milage, I saw no signs of peeling or wear.

Here's a Gumball F430 with a Mat Black wrap.

My personal thoughts would be to wrap an Aston & not to mess with the original paint, There cars have such depth and lustre, would a shame not to have the option to back to the original paint.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 PM
SFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of light
There is a matte black one here around town. Unfortunately I don't think it looks good at all. Could also be his wheel choice. Though, it could also just be the matte he went with as I've seen many variations.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Verone24 will become famous soon enoughVerone24 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gekko
Prices in Canada for a wrap is approx $4k

Durability in the real world?? They warn that stone chips will go through the vinyl, but most people are not looking at this as a long term solution, as DrScoles's said it's a great way to change up the car. The Gumball recently came through Toronto and 99% of the cars where wrapped and with their milage, I saw no signs of peeling or wear.

Here's a Gumball F430 with a Mat Black wrap.

My personal thoughts would be to wrap an Aston & not to mess with the original paint, There cars have such depth and lustre, would a shame not to have the option to back to the original paint.
fyi that car is painted not wrapped

Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
RS4-Brian will become famous soon enoughRS4-Brian will become famous soon enough
Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
Talking Matte Paint Protection Film

If you are interested in the matte look without changing your paint. Take a look at this... http://www.xpel.com/products/stealth_film.asp

This is our latest paint prtoection product that we have introduced which will provide a matte look and protect your paint above and beyond a vinyl wrap. The film will also not gloss after buffing.

If you do have a matte finish already this film will not give it a glossy look and it will provide protection over already installed vinyl stripes as well.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 AM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gekko

I second that.. Do not mess with the original paint, you do that, you loose car value immediately.. Although I have done the matte black thingy 3 years ago, (and personally, I think it's over done now).. I would suggest you wrap it with whatever color you want, and then when time comes, you can always take it off, and still have the original AML color on it..