Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinions on winter driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by spinecho
That being said, I couldn't bear to drive one of these on salted roads, even if I didn't plan on keeping it. Just me...
^ Totally agree.

Salt makes it difficult to rationalize driving the car, not to mention the winters effect on our desegregating roads - The bits of asphalt and debris being thrown from cars is reason enough to leave the AM tucked away safe in the garage.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Patrick B is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gekko
^ Totally agree.

Salt makes it difficult to rationalize driving the car, not to mention the winters effect on our desegregating roads - The bits of asphalt and debris being thrown from cars is reason enough to leave the AM tucked away safe in the garage.
And I'll disagree. I've had debris fly off of vehicles in the middle of a beautiful summers day, only to skid across my hood and over the windshield, leaving nice big scratches across the hood (it was a piece of solid foam insulation from a truck in front of me on the highway).

I'm of the mentality of why spend 6-figures on a car only to have it parked on everything except the nicest of summer days? Especially when (as I mentioned above) something just as bad can happen on a bright summer day as on a cold, wintery one.

I wouldn't drive mine in a blizzard, regardless of what winter tires are on it. But for the majority of a Toronto winter, I don't have a problem with it (even if most of the trips are to / from the GO station!).

Patrick

Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Patrick B
And I'll disagree. I've had debris fly off of vehicles in the middle of a beautiful summers day, only to skid across my hood and over the windshield, leaving nice big scratches across the hood (it was a piece of solid foam insulation from a truck in front of me on the highway).

I'm of the mentality of why spend 6-figures on a car only to have it parked on everything except the nicest of summer days? Especially when (as I mentioned above) something just as bad can happen on a bright summer day as on a cold, wintery one.

I wouldn't drive mine in a blizzard, regardless of what winter tires are on it. But for the majority of a Toronto winter, I don't have a problem with it (even if most of the trips are to / from the GO station!). Patrick

Everybody's going to have their own personal views on this and yes the summer is also full of debris. Things fall of trucks, there's junk on the road, follow to closely and get road rash . . .

But I'm referring to the constant bits of salt, pebbles, broken up asphalt(*), ice from vehicles your following being thrown at your car in the winter months.

I detail my car constantly and know that winter months does more damage to the finish of my cars, compared to anything in the summer.

Anyways, that's the only point I was trying to make - power to those drive in the winter months.

* The past few years with our temperature's fluctuating above and below freezing, has resulted in water seeping underneath and lifting the asphalt, causing all sorts of damage (cracking & broken up roads). Then the city usually does a lame job of quickly fixing the potholes in the colder months, further leaving debris about the location.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I've driven all current Aston models in the winter..also have a couple clients that drive there Aston's year round here, just installed winter tires on a Rapide. I'm in Montreal..a lot worse weather than Tdot ..With a real good set of winters, your good-to-go..Obviously the clients that plan to invest with the cars don't drive them due to the salt conditions, really looks like crap underneith a winter driven Aston. But you can avoid this salt condition just by taking the car out on dry/clean road days..but like most have said, if you might plan to unload the car in a few year(maybe upgrade..etc) ..by all means, drive the wheels off it..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 AM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
Its a shame I see Porsches and M3s driven all year round. Its a shame the v8v doesnt have the same range.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slayer of souls
Its a shame I see Porsches and M3s driven all year round. Its a shame the v8v doesnt have the same range.
If you can drive a M3 or Porsche(non-AWD), no reason why you can't put a V8V through the same weather in winter..

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM
First look at the depreciation value of all three cars . . . Then add a winter driven Aston to that - Think that sums it up for most people.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
I guarantee I can spot a winter driven Aston and I would never purchase one that was..........it is treating an heirloom grade auto as expendable.........

Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by gekko
First look at the depreciation value of all three cars . . . Then add a winter driven Aston to that - Think that sums it up for most people.
Does an 07 have that significant depreciation?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM
I dont mean driving with snow or slush everywhere. Downtown Toronto does not see a lot of that.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
I dont mean driving with snow or slush everywhere. Downtown Toronto does not see a lot of that.
even salt dust on a dry day is harmful.......

Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I would never, ever buy a high-line car (pre-owned) that had winter salt and the like on it. The windshield will be pitted, there will be some sandblast on the paint and corrosion on the substructure. There are too many Astons/Ferrari's/Porsches, etc. that have not been in the winter to select from. The marketplace is crowded with exotics, so the hit to the resale on such a car would be considerable.

Get the right tool for the job, like in all things. The damage you do to an Aston in resale alone going in the snow/salt with it will easily pay for a nice used, 4WD Ranger Pickup you can bounce off the snowbanks and banzai potholes with.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
Toronto doesn't even see snow, 3mm's of snow and the Army is called in to help!!

Hehe, I'm just kidding bud..

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Damn, there goes my winter fun. Only a few more weeks to enjoy the vehicle i suppose.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Here in Minneapolis there is Not a lot of salt used in the winter, but there are other chemicals used to melt the snow. I generally stop driving the Aston after the first snowfall and do not begin driving it again until a heavy rain washes all the junk off of the roads. Depending on the winter that is a 4 to 5 month rest. I agree with the others that I could drive the car all year but why expose it to all that damage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on winter driving