Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinions on winter driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Mb007 is on a distinguished road
Opinions on winter driving

Anyone drive their Vantages year round? I'm looking at an 09 and don't think I could let it sit for months without driving it. Wrong season to mention the winter but would love some opinions. Thanks guys!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Myself....I hav'nt driven any of my "sports" cars in the winter months (unless it's clear and dry). IMO it just broadens the chance of some idjit sliding into you and wrecking your sweet car. In addition to that, the salt and crap that is on the roads in SE Mich. through the winter just can't be good for any car and as long as I have a SUV that is not worth near what the AM is....she gets the call when it's nasty out.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:50 PM
echo220 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mb007
Anyone drive their Vantages year round? I'm looking at an 09 and don't think I could let it sit for months without driving it. Wrong season to mention the winter but would love some opinions. Thanks guys!
Based on where you are from (Toronto) I wouldn't drive your 09 Vantage when there is snow on the ground or if its slushy out side even if with the best winter tires. That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking it out for a run on those clear winter days when the road is bare and dry.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:31 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mb007
There's a guy in North York with a Yellow V8 who I see driving in the winter all the time. When I spoke to him, he mentioned it was his only car and just puts on a good set of winter tires. Two years ago I saw him driving through 4 inches of snow during a snow storm without any issues, I was totally speachless after seeing this !

Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM
cshsia is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gekko
There's a guy in North York with a Yellow V8 who I see driving in the winter all the time. When I spoke to him, he mentioned it was his only car and just puts on a good set of winter tires. Two years ago I saw him driving through 4 inches of snow during a snow storm without any issues, I was totally speachless after seeing this !
Everyone talks to me too here locally about the guy in the yellow vantage, still havn't seen him. He's supposed to be in my neighborhood too :P

I drive it in the winter as well, but not over 1/2 inch on the road.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Mb007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, Its greatly appreciated

Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I drive mine year 'round

Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
I drive mine year 'round
Yeahhh - next you'll be telling us, you don't even have to go to winter tires in Florida

Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 PM
echo220 is on a distinguished road
Rain, rain, rain ...... nothing but rain here in Vancouver. I bought my roadster so I can drive it with the top down. Jut not the same driving it in the rain.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
If you drive with even the possibility of salt dust or spray you are NOT a car guy

Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
How long do you plan on keeping it? If you trade cars in every few years it won't make a difference.

Be sure to detail, wrap and wash often. Do they even make winter Matt's???

According to my dealership a lot of downtown guys drive their DB9's all year, so it should be fine. Plus Toronto roads are full of RWD BMW's, all winter long.

I drove my V8V five ot six days last winter, always on dry sunny days, salt free roads. I live right in the city so snow is rarely an issue. I found the car was stiff, very stiff, even after a good drive. It didn't seem to like the cold at all. Not like my Audi's do, or even the RR.

Even this weekend, the R8 was more compliant, the V12V did not want to go into second gear for a while (I always do a 1st to 3rd shift till ts warm). The Audi on the other hand had no issues. It felt like the car was designed with cold in mind.

Good tires is a must. I went SotoZeros, and they do cold roads well. Very little noise.

I would also look at a wrap. Aston paint is very soft, i couldnt imagine wiping snow off of it.
Consider a hard coating like opticoat. Pm me if you want any info. I don't sell it, but I had it put on my cars. It goes on instead of a top coat of wax, though you can wax on top as well.

Last edited by black penguin; 11-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DonBond
If you drive with even the possibility of salt dust or spray you are NOT a car guy
....some might say just the opposite

Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Do they even make winter Matt's???

Yes, Check out Lloyd Mats "TruBerber".

Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by LRDog
....some might say just the opposite
Well, perhaps if you're driving a Range Rover but an Aston in the salt....that's a different type of "car guy".......

Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Detailing and a wrap won't protect the underside and wheel arches. Salt would be my primary concern, but if you plan to unload the car after a few years and don't really care about its long-term integrity, with a good set of winter tires you should be ready to go. The V8 is not exactly known for bucket loads of low end torque, and has a long-travel throttle with relatively sluggish response, so I would expect the car to drive quite well in winter!

That being said, I couldn't bear to drive one of these on salted roads, even if I didn't plan on keeping it. Just me...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on winter driving