Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Educate me on V8 Vantage maintenance costs and reliability...

Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 AM
ArnoldK. is on a distinguished road
Educate me on V8 Vantage maintenance costs and reliability...

I'm in the market for a new car and I've been eying a Vantage for a very long time now - it's one of my all time favorites. I test drove a V8 Vantage for fellow poster RHYNO and I fell in love, just like I thought I would. But I do have some concerns.

1) For starters, how much do service intervals cost on the car?

2) I plan on buying a 6MT, is changing a clutch really a $6,000 job?

3) Where else, besides AM, can I buy an extended warranty for the car? Especially one that's longer than 2 years.

4) How often has your Vantage been in service? What year is the car + how many miles?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 AM
cshsia is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ArnoldK.
I'm in the market for a new car and I've been eying a Vantage for a very long time now - it's one of my all time favorites. I test drove a V8 Vantage for fellow poster RHYNO and I fell in love, just like I thought I would. But I do have some concerns.

3) Where else, besides AM, can I buy an extended warranty for the car? Especially one that's longer than 2 years.

4) How often has your Vantage been in service? What year is the car + how many miles?
I feel like you're getting close to your decision.....

1. About 2~3k at AM, about 500~1k at a shop you trust. Believe me this car's quite easy to work on.

2. About $2300 for the clutch, then all depends on what labor rate you find. It'd be about 5k at AM, 3K at an ind. shop.

3. I don't see how anyone else would cover this car.

4. 07, 33k miles. Once for the O2 sensor, another time for 30k service.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about the Clutch service , mine is a 06 6MT vantage and has 32,500 miles and no problems at all ( only with the O2 sensors ), I have no warranty and I like it this way.

My car only goes for anual service since new and the cost for maintenance is from $600 to $2,000 for me.
I think I'm going to take it next week for Emissions service again.

I think this car is super reliable.

Instead of waranty buy the AM power upgrade and aftermarket exhaust. It's a better investment , in fact I did.

Last edited by RPVantage; 07-27-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by cshsia
I feel like you're getting close to your decision.....

1. About 2~3k at AM, about 500~1k at a shop you trust. Believe me this car's quite easy to work on.

2. About $2300 for the clutch, then all depends on what labor rate you find. It'd be about 5k at AM, 3K at an ind. shop.

3. I don't see how anyone else would cover this car.

4. 07, 33k miles. Once for the O2 sensor, another time for 30k service.
Good info. What shops are out there that work on Astons?

Also, as far as the warranty thing, I meant 3rd party companies. My Audi A6 is covered by Warranty Direct, for example. They had no problems covering a $2000 MMI job last year as soon as I got the coverage with them.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
Annual service runs about $1500-2000 or so at AM dealer. Includes oil change, inspection, software downloads etc...does not include brakes which can run 700-900 per axle...more like a glorified oil change. Everything is expensive with the Aston...other than the Ferrari, it makes other cars like bmw, porsche look cheap for service etc. Clutch job should be abt 5-7K depending on where you bring it. They have to pull almost everything under the car out...I have seen it done at the dealer...pretty crazy. I don't know if you can buy extended warranty from 3rd party. I seriously doubt it cause most folks won't even deal with higher end cars like that but let us know if you find someone other than dealer who would sell ext warranty.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ray Portilla
Instead of waranty buy the AM power upgrade and aftermarket exhaust. It's a better investment , in fact I did.
Don't forget the upgraged handling/suspension. Killer on the track

Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 PM
RHYNO is on a distinguished road
Arnold, I'm very sorry that you test drove my first AM and fell in love with the car!! It sounds like you have no choice but to take the next step and purchase one your self! You will have no regrets and have happiness for the rest of your ownership, good luck with your new purchase!!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Good info. What shops are out there that work on Astons?

Also, as far as the warranty thing, I meant 3rd party companies. My Audi A6 is covered by Warranty Direct, for example. They had no problems covering a $2000 MMI job last year as soon as I got the coverage with them.
My friend in Flushing who runs a shop here did the work on my car. The oil change was a breeze, took about 30 mins. Brakes, standard Brembos, did brake fluids in about an hour.

Transaxel oil and clutch fluid, SOOOOOOO dirty at 30k. Took a bit of dexterity to fill it, but no problems.

Air and cabin filter, about 30 minutes. During the process he kept educating me about my own car. "Japanese AC... that's good. Jaguar glovebox, interesting..... "

While his shop is not where you'd expect to see an exotic, and many of the other economy cars that came in that day stood in awe of the Vantage on the lift, his passion for cars really shows and makes a huge difference. Esp when he washed the calipers ("i can't put the rims back on dirty dude"), and asked me for the tension of each lug nut as specified in the manual.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Savile Row is on a distinguished road
V8 Vantage service costs

They services MUST be done every 10,000 mile or once a year whichever comes first. You have to follow the book if you want to maintain the life of the car and resale value. A 20K service generally runs about $2400. My first Vantage had 6000 miles on it but was 2 years ol, so it was time for the 20K service. As for warranty, 2 years is the max you can buy. It is MUCH cheaper to purchase the extended warrranty while the car is still under the 3 year factory warranty. My experience is these cars will consume oil. You must keep an eye on that. The engine is almost 50k to replace. It is not a breakdown or should I say, problem car like a Ferrari but I have had techs tell me they take more time to work on. AGAIN, all this is my personal experience...I'm on my second Vantage. They are not cheap to fix like a Nissan but again will not melt your bank account like a Ferrari. I would only buy a used one with the books stamped. Once you own one, everything else stinks....they are very well made and very rare. 100 craftsmen take 180 hours to build one.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by RHYNO
Arnold, I'm very sorry that you test drove my first AM and fell in love with the car!! It sounds like you have no choice but to take the next step and purchase one your self! You will have no regrets and have happiness for the rest of your ownership, good luck with your new purchase!!
Hahaha, I know. Isn't that something? It's like I just gave up a kid for adoption. At least I'm confident it's going to a good home.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by cshsia
My friend in Flushing who runs a shop here did the work on my car. The oil change was a breeze, took about 30 mins. Brakes, standard Brembos, did brake fluids in about an hour.

Transaxel oil and clutch fluid, SOOOOOOO dirty at 30k. Took a bit of dexterity to fill it, but no problems.

Air and cabin filter, about 30 minutes. During the process he kept educating me about my own car. "Japanese AC... that's good. Jaguar glovebox, interesting..... "

While his shop is not where you'd expect to see an exotic, and many of the other economy cars that came in that day stood in awe of the Vantage on the lift, his passion for cars really shows and makes a huge difference. Esp when he washed the calipers ("i can't put the rims back on dirty dude"), and asked me for the tension of each lug nut as specified in the manual.
Understood. Which shop in Flushing is this?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
You may want to take a peak in this thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...m-already.html

Seems like a ton of 07 vantage owners experienced this problem. Final bill at AM... $2800

Edwin

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Understood. Which shop in Flushing is this?
My friend Mike at Matrix Auto, looks like every other Chinese run shop in Flushing from the outside.

However he told me personally, he'll treat a car not based on value, but how the owner takes care of it. If you roll in with a 10 year old Corolla but details it with a fine brush, he'll take care of it like its a Rolls.

His garage is bigger than his house, and somehow wifey's okay with that. When I heard it, I knew I was in good hands.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM
TaylorMade411 will become famous soon enough
I plan on picking up MY09 by the end of the year but the only thing that's telling me not to is the extendend warranty. The cost alone isnt the killer its the option to only get 2years of cov at a time. If they're charging 5k for two years when the car is damn near new what are they going to charge when its get up in miles?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM
pmgrassi is on a distinguished road
Hello All:
Brand new to the site. Looking to acquire an 2007 or 2007 Vantage. The posts here on routine maintenance are very helpful.

2 questions. What about tires? My friend with a Maserati tells me his cost $1,600 @ and last only about 9K miles. How about the AM?

Second, is insurance any crazier than for any other similar dollar car, CTS-V, M6, A8, etc.

Thanks, Paul

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Educate me on V8 Vantage maintenance costs and reliability...