Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Educate me on V8 Vantage maintenance costs and reliability...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
YOu can get the OEM 19" tires (please check as Vantages also have have 18" wheels too). from tire rack for $1300. Many with much more experience with AMs like the pirelli tires better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe

Spare parts are obscenely expensive in most cases, you can have a look at www.astonmartincarparts.com for an idea. That said overall the V8 vantages seem to be generally reliable cars. My two previous owner 07 had no major issues first 29k miles before I bought it. The other big downside, almost not a huge selection of vendors for aftermarket goodies.

Take a look at the AM FAQ sticky at the top of this forum for link to the AM buyers guide as well as online articles about buying used astons.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...questions.html

Annual service at a dealer runs around $1500.

I don't notice the insurance to be any higher than other comparable cars. I pay roughly $1200 a year for USAA $1k deductible $50k/100k/300k

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by pmgrassi
Hello All:
Brand new to the site. Looking to acquire an 2007 or 2007 Vantage. The posts here on routine maintenance are very helpful.

2 questions. What about tires? My friend with a Maserati tells me his cost $1,600 @ and last only about 9K miles. How about the AM?

Second, is insurance any crazier than for any other similar dollar car, CTS-V, M6, A8, etc.

Thanks, Paul

Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM
pmgrassi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zvez
YOu can get the OEM 19" tires (please check as Vantages also have have 18" wheels too). from tire rack for $1300. Many with much more experience with AMs like the pirelli tires better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe

Spare parts are obscenely expensive in most cases, you can have a look at www.astonmartincarparts.com for an idea. That said overall the V8 vantages seem to be generally reliable cars. My two previous owner 07 had no major issues first 29k miles before I bought it. The other big downside, almost not a huge selection of vendors for aftermarket goodies.

Take a look at the AM FAQ sticky at the top of this forum for link to the AM buyers guide as well as online articles about buying used astons.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...questions.html

Annual service at a dealer runs around $1500.

I don't notice the insurance to be any higher than other comparable cars. I pay roughly $1200 a year for USAA $1k deductible $50k/100k/300k

Hope this helps.
Thanks Chris, That is world's away from Maserati guy! Much appreciated, Paul

Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I just picked up my 09 Vantage from Lake Forest last week for it's 40,000 mile service (it's still under factory warranty). The total bill was $2050 which included having the leather scuff repaired on the drivers bolster (common to heavily used seats), and a new door seal installed (it had a slight rip). So the two things I had done represent $500 of the total bill. A seat belt was replaced (under warranty) and all the fluids and filters were replaced including the differential. The brakes were fine as well as the tires and clutch.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Doggman is on a distinguished road
Does anyone here do their own maintenance? Seems like the high labor costs that the Aston dealerships charge could be avoided if you did the annual maintenance work yourself. This may be a stupid question but this is possible, right? I own a Nissan so damn near everything is replaceable, cheap, and the labor is fairly straightforward.. I never take my car to shops except for tire mounting and alignments. Would this approach be possible with an Aston Martin, or not really?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
If course it's possible but you better keep good records. Otherwise you will pay dearly in resale value.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:27 PM
DesertRat is an unknown quantity at this point
Self-service V8 Vantage

Originally Posted by Doggman
Does anyone here do their own maintenance? Seems like the high labor costs that the Aston dealerships charge could be avoided if you did the annual maintenance work yourself. This may be a stupid question but this is possible, right? I own a Nissan so damn near everything is replaceable, cheap, and the labor is fairly straightforward.. I never take my car to shops except for tire mounting and alignments. Would this approach be possible with an Aston Martin, or not really?
Ha! Is anyone still reading this old string? If so I've had my 2010 manual Vantage (ragtop) now for 42 months. Driven it 16,000 miles during that time. It now reads 46K on the odometer. This thing is built like a tank. And of the highest quality components. If it looks like metal or leather or wood, it IS metal or leather or wood. And for the most part pretty easy to work on. It's just a car, right? An oil change is an oil change. But it takes 10 quarts due to the oil sump design. But that's a good thing. That's why they designed it that way. A little tedious to get the bottom cover off but once that's done it's very straightforward. Only 'issue' I have had is the upstream O2 sensors. They are pretty notorious for going out at between 30-40K. You can get them for about $ 200 each ( there are two). Again, remove the bottom cover and you can see them sitting on top of the exhaust pipes. REALLY helps if you have hands the size of a Barbie doll to get to them and remove them (they look just like - and are about the size of - a spark plug). Disconnect the wire attached to the top of them and unscrew them - then reverse the process with the new sensor). Simple. Did it myself for $ 400. Dealer wanted $ 1,400. My washer fluid reservoir recently cracked as well (I live in AZ - the hot temps here reduce the life of plastics; they get brittle and crack). A $ 400 part. You can replace it yourself in about 90 mins or pay the dealer $ 1,200 to do it. Straightforward and simple, if not slightly tedious. To reiterate an earlier post, most parts are quite expensive - but you can do a lot of the work yourself if you're a little bit handy and have some decent tools. The one job you most likely CAN'T do yourself is a clutch replacement. Mine went out at 40K miles - pretty average (I've heard of some lasting to 60K and some 20K - depends on how hard you drive). $5K+ at the dealer - but it's a top-line Velocity AP dual-plate clutch. Should easily be good for another 40-50K miles. All that said this car is an absolute blast to drive and completely worth any little inconveniences. And the design is timeless. It may not be a collector car but its' looks will hold always hold up. I still get regular comments and questions and admiration. Get one! A great value and you'll never regret it.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:29 PM
DesertRat is an unknown quantity at this point
And yeah, just keep good records and receipts of the work you do. A GREAT resource for parts and advice and videos is redpants.lol I have a learned a TON from them.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:31 PM
Import will become famous soon enough
Red pants is a good dude..videos are very helpful..and he is kind replying to questions…08 v8v here and loving it so far..

Old 01-20-2022, 05:10 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Rich at Redpants is a great source for parts and his DIY videos are very helpful and informative. I do all my own service using Rich’s experience.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:43 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I've had my '09 Coupe (manual, Sports Pack) from new.14k miles -- weekends and fun use. It's wonderful. List of failures: when it was 2 years old, the radio's AM band died. That's the entire list -- it's been a truly great car. Annual services at my dealer range from about $1000-$2800 depending on how minor/major. After all these years, it's still a special event every time.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:44 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
My 2009 has been very reliable. I do most of annual maintenance myself, but go to dealer for brake flush, alignment and new clutch. It's a weekend car for me. I try to drive it almost every weekend except when it rains... it's a garage queen but driven regularly

Old 01-22-2022, 10:21 AM
Argus will become famous soon enough
I will do an oil change in the spring. Castrol 10-60 super car oil was $125 through Amazon. Redpants oil change kit $65. I can rent a lift at a shop for $20 an hour. Total cost $210. This also gives you a chance to look under your car to Get familiar with things people discuss. Like O2 sensors.
Repants and Bamford Rose have YouTube channels that will help you. Aston1936 does a lot but he has a DB9 but there plenty of generic information.
Example; outside air sensor was $27 from Redpants. I changed it myself and it took 1/2 hour. What do you think a dealer would have charged you?
Roam the internet and you can find parts much cheaper than what the dealer will charge. Example the Air con compressor is a Denso unit. Again what will the dealer charge. If you are not good with a wrench get the parts and have a mechanic you trust do the work.

Last edited by Argus; 01-22-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:44 AM
usera will become famous soon enough
This has been one of the easiest cars to work on. I did a 1/2/5/7 year service on one I bought and it was actually enjoyable excpt when you have to remove the wheel well liners and under trays, I hate doing that.