Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Can't get satellite radio working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:23 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
Can't get satellite radio working

Hi All,

I'm at a loss and can't for the life of me figure out how to turn on the Sirius satellite radio in my '12 V12 Vantage. I press the "mode" button and can cycle through the various inputs. CD player works fine. When I select "SR1" or "SR2" nothing happens. The space on the display shows nothing and pressing "auto" or "scan" buttons does nothing. I tried the steps in the owners manual and couldn't get anywhere. Is it possible my V12V is not equipped with satellite radio or somehow got disabled? Does the NAV have to be activated for Sirius to work? (Just thought of this).

I could have sworn on my test drive during the buying process that I was listening to Sirius....scratching my head...

Thanks for any insight!
-Dan

Old 04-29-2017, 06:58 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The nav doesn't have to be up and I thought the satellite subscription was for life.

I change my channels but turning the tuning **** but I'm not sure what you do if it's showing no stations at all.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
I've seen some sat radio modules cause this problem... I've also seen sat radio modules cause zero sound from the entire audio system(by taking down the MOST fiber optic system). In both cases, if a hard reset doesn't render the concern, a module replacement is most likely in order.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
I would go into the settings...get the id number of the sirus unit...call them and see if active first...they can tell you if car came with it and was ever activated...
if they tell you yes...came with car...ask them to resend the signal...we had our go out in my company vans when the battery was changed after being dead...

One strange thing in one van was the cell phone killed the signal...why? Who knows...so we installed a kill switch and turn off than on when this happens and it corrects the problem...

Good luck...probably signal...the units seldom go bad...I have one lifetime one that is on its 3rd van...

​​

Old 04-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Ktw
Ktw is an unknown quantity at this point
All Sirius radios will play channel 1, the preview channel, even without an active subscription as long as everything else is in order, i.e. power, antenna etc.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Good point but if no signal active no channel one...easy to know as you stated...I would get id and call sirus...good luck

Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Probably a bad Sirius module. Mine is being replaced. Not only was Sirius not working, as mentioned above it killed all sound from the system.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:32 AM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
So get this: I don't even have "Sirius Menu..." as an option in the MENU. All that's there is "Car Settings..." Either my Sirius unit is dead or I don't have it in my car. Is there a fuse I can check? I searched the inter webs for a fuse diagram for a '12 V12V and I came up short. How can I determine if I actually have Sirius installed--is there a Sirius control unit somewhere that I can easily spot (hopefully not buried behind the dash)?

Thanks for everyone's tips. The mystery continues.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
2012 V12 Vantage in the US without Sirius... would be hard to come by. Open your right side boot panel and take a look in there with a flashlight. Sirius module will be silver rectangular box with two orange cables and two wires going into it. Will have a label with barcodes and the Sirius or XM logo on it. Could be a Volvo or fomoco module. If you have it, disconnect the black two wire connector for 30 seconds and reconnect- then see if you have anything come up when you select sr1 or sr2.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Forgot to mention… You may need a flashlight and a small mirror. The module is above the right rear wheel, but can be seen through the boot fuse box panel area

Old 04-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Generally the radio is independent of the sirus unit..in our vans we had bad units prior...but radio still works..

Good point on checking unit...if no unit no sirus...I would think extra cost option not gotten...

First call sirus...800 number they can look up...than if registered...check for unit...old owner may have taken out.

If you have premium sound most owners bought sirus...if basic system...maybe not have

Sorry for your problems...but on the good side...fixable

Old 04-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Ok--thanks for insight on where to find the unit. The unit is there! It was tricky to spot without a flashlight and even trickier to snap these pics and get my fingers on the plugs (by feel alone)! I was able to disconnect plugs 1 and 3 below for 30 seconds each. Plug #2 as labeled I couldn't manage to unplug--the connector tab is on the bottom side of the plug and no way to get my fingers under there. Based on the color of the wires, it looks like plug #1 feeds power--can anyone confirm? If plug #2 is power/ground; I have no clue how I'm going to access it without removing all the boot interior trim.

To document for others who may stumble onto this thread, here's a couple more pics of the unit:

So after trying to unplug #1 and #3, here's a video of the result (same symptoms as before). I'm guessing I have a dead unit.

So my next question: if I were to replace the unit, can I remove by removing the two bolts on the rear side, in the second picture above (one bolt hidden from view by the wire harness).

What should my next move be?

Old 04-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, removal is incredibly difficult through that area(unless you're super flexible!). It will be easier to remove the wheel and liner to access that panel. It's held on from the underside with 4 8mm screws. The connector tab for the finer optic #2 in your pic) is actually on the side facing you.

Last edited by Timodc; 04-30-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 PM
4x4sche is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a 2011 V12 Vantage last year. The number on my module is VP8F6F-18C961-CB which is exactly the same as in your photo. My (lack of) operation is exactly the same as yours. I don't think it likely we both have the same failure. It is more probably that the subscription has lapsed, or we don't know how to access the menu. Can someone confirm that the car came with a free "lifetime" subscription? I was told it was only for the first three years and assumed Sirius shut service off before I bought the car. Don't bother cycling the power to the unit, I have had my battery out of the car for a couple of days and the Sirius service didn't come back.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Hi guys...I checked the website...AM stopped offering lifetime Sirius radio...

Only 3 year given now...probably trail 3 year up..
Contact them to see how to get turned on...another blow to us from our leaders at AM

Even new DB11​ only gets three but with traffic etc...added

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.