Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help on AM V8 Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 PM
roberman is on a distinguished road
Help on AM V8 Mods

Hello all I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help provided. I have a 06 Vantage V8 that I want to squeeze some extra performance from. I am looking for some unbiased advice on available products. My previous cars have been Italian or German so I am ignorant on the best stuff for AM. I was referred here by RSC and told that there would bean RSC bias here but that's ok if they do have the best stuff. Looking for some honest opinions like the RSC Power Pack versus Cargraphic stuff or even AM's own power upgrade combined with a different exhaust (Tubi, Larini etc.). Let me know what you more experienced Aston lovers think. Thanks...S.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM
RHYNO is on a distinguished road
I just bought a Vantage and if I was to do any upgrades I would go with RSC. I bought a LP560 bumper from them in the past for my Gallardo and was happy. I just met Stuart from RSC today and he is a great guy, I would have no problems doing business with them again. They have alot of product for AM and alot of cool stuff coming in the future!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:27 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Lots of posts here on this...I'll try to summarize.

RSC makes good stuff and seems to be the only way to go here in the US for basic engine mods. They make good quality parts and everyone here that has their stuff seems happy. I have their cats and I'm very pleased.

For more extreme people like myself...and rmrmd...there is the ESX supercharger. Lots of supercharged goodness here...it's awesome. The car is very responsive to boost...I'm making well over 600 hp with around 7psi, and the car is very fast. Total transformation.

Prodrive is the prototype AM tuner...and in fact David Richards, founder of Prodrive, is part owner of AM. They were the first to come out with a power kit that made 425 hp for the 4.3. BUT...for some reason their stuff isn't available here.

Paramount is also a UK-based tuner. Their stuff is also good quality but is basically the same as RSC, so you're better off going with RSC for the same stuff and having a US distributor.

The AM power kit is pricey for what you get, but comes with warranty protection. It makes less hp than the RSC ecu. Hamann also makes an ecu upgrade but I've never seen anyone actually get it.

As for exhausts, it's a personal preference. I stuck with stock because I like the sound, but many have gone with RSC sport. If nothing else you save a lot of weight going aftermarket instead of the stock exhaust which is so heavy it might be filled with concrete.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 PM
roberman is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the detailed reply Tahoe. Sounds like you have an awesome ride. Any reason you chose the H&R springs over RSC's?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the factory power upgrade kit and could not be happier. Driveability is great and the power increase is great.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by roberman
Thanks for the detailed reply Tahoe. Sounds like you have an awesome ride. Any reason you chose the H&R springs over RSC's?
Both are H&R springs, to my knowledge. The standard H&R springs have a 3/4" drop vs. the RSC kit which lists a 1.25" drop. For me it was the tradeoff between handling and driveability on the street.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
I have factory power upgrade and Quick Silver exhaust that came with the brand new car. Dealer did the mod free just to demo and check out increase in hp....I think the dyno showed 400 or 410 hp on 2008 model 4.3L. I'm happy with the car since my upgrades were free but I think RSC has better bang for the buck for ECU upgrade. RSC sports exhaust is also awesome but Quick Silver is not shabby. I've been to RSC office in Miami...really great dedicated folks. I didn't know about RSC at the time I bought my AM but when I get my Lambo, I am going RSC all the way cause their products are of great quality (made in USA) with reasonable pricing.