Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Grill V.S. Wood Block on Highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:25 PM
cshsia is on a distinguished road
Aston Martin Grill V.S. Wood Block on Highway

The downside about driving a car this low is obviously the limited line of sight. This morning I changed lanes and ended up behind an Acura MDX, which completely blocked my line of sight even though i was 2 car lengths behind. When I spotted trouble ahead, it was too late.

Apparently a few pieces of plywood fell off someone's truck and was in the process of being shredded by the cars. The MDX, oblivious of other people (not uncommon for SUV drivers), decided to speed up and clear the debris field. You know what comes next.

A shower of debris shot backwards and to the side. I slowed immediately hoping to not take everything head on. One large chunk, maybe 6"x3"x1", hit the car head-on then flew over the top narrowly missing the windshield.

I didn't get to inspect the damage till I got to the office, and expected the worse. I wasn't that angry, because I was just thankful that it didn't smash my windshield and cause injuries. Positive thinking

It turns out the loud thud came from impact with the driver side of the grill, which was slightly bent backwards. There were a few scuffs on the bumper, which should buff out with a nice detail. One thing I did notice was that the AM grill is actually clipped on, detached pieces. The chrome snaps onto plastic holders, which are then fastened to the car. Interesting discovery. No damage on the hood or fenders, thank god.

The plan is to take the grill off this weekend, then snap it back into place, see if it's straight. If not, I guess it's time to pickup a new grill (or used ones from parts on eBay)

Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Glad to hear it wasn't that bad. I hate stories like that. It drives me nuts when I 'm trapped in traffic and a huge truck is spitting mud and stones like buck shot. I was driving my mini with its top down when a pick-up ran over left-overs from a tire blow out. A huge piece flew over my head and another wacked the front fascia off of the car. That was the last time I drove a conv. on the highway.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Caviarhound is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've seen the very situation you've been faced with and some don't end as well. Glad you and your beautiful Aston are ok!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Allen121 is on a distinguished road
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I've not had to think about that since I own a SUV. But I'll definitely have to be more careful once I buy my Vantage.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
Had two similar experiences in my Vantage but both of mine involved small animals. By the time I saw them, it was too late. Both times the grill was pushed back. I removed the aluminum protective plate below the nose (not easy to get all the screws out without a lift, but doable). Once I could get my hands behind the grill, I noticed the clips that were holding it in place (some were now missing). I took the remaining clips off (as well as some black adhesive) and removed the grill so that I could "gently" bend it back to its original shape. I placed the clips back on and it looked like new. On my next annual service, I had the dealer replace the missing clips and reapply the black adhesive to the edges of the grill.

A pain but I guess it could have been a lot worse.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
I didn't see it coming, but I hit a piece of tire that busted right through the bottom of my lower bumper. Sorry about your grill...yours is more noticeable...mine may be more expensive.

I was really pissed at first. The alternative, we could keep our fun, beautiful cars collecting dust in a garage. If you don't have grill issues, bumper issues, rick chips, door dings, etc, you're not enjoying your Aston enough? We only live once....

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM
bmw tuning is on a distinguished road
Ouch! Besides my multiple speeding tickets, my worst fear when driving on the highway. Hope everyone gets their cars sorted inexpensively!