Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

new owner and new to the forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
new owner and new to the forum

Hello all,

I recently (Nov. '10) purchased an '07Vantage, with 9700miles and recently ran into this forum. I don't know how I didn't stumble upon it while I was researching the care before I bought it ... it came up on Google when I was searching for information on "fuse 22".

I have now had the car about 2 months and absolutely love it. I have read a bunch of the threads here, lots of great information thanks!

I bought 6 quarts of the RP transmission fluid and will have the fluid changed at the annual service, due this month.

More on the car, I had the local AM dealership give me the service history (I bought the car at a Porsche dealership, the AM didn't have any used ones in stock). It did have the oil leak repair and a pice of interior trim replaced. Other than that, just in for regular service. It is Toro Red, I had the option of purchasing a silver roadster but opted for the coupe. I love the red and have gotten lots of compliments on it. I have owned 4 silver/grey cars and was ready for something different.

Both of the service guys from the AM dealership were very willing to help me and were very professional. They said the care was very reliable and when I asked about purchasing an extended warranty they told me details ($500 up-front inspection and $3500/yr) and told me it wasn't necessary or worth it unless I putting a ton of miles a year on the car.

They told me the most common problem they had with these cars was the battery going dead and having issues with lots of codes coming up / electrical system. They advised me to DRIVE it, similar to what I have read on this forum.

I came from a Cayman S and this thing is a whole new experience ... just a completely different car. It is not my daily driver but I have found myself driving it a lot more than I thought, can't stay out of it!!

I'll try to attach a couple of pics ... just in my garage as I haven't had a chance for a photo-shoot.

Attached Images      
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Congrats. I have a 2007 MT coupe and love the car. Its intoxicating.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations I love the red color on your vantage I hope you enjoy in good health.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Welcome WG_Roots!

I can't believe what a small world this is haha ... My buddy was the original owner of that car when he bought it. It was custom ordered in that specific color and he is a H-town local as well. Even funnier, I saw you driving down San Felipe not too long ago (I think sometime last month).

Congrats on the new purchase, its a great toy, If you want to drive my tranny with the RP in it, lets meet up . Looks like you will get to see a lot of my upgrades up close first hand.

All the best,
-007-
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
007 ... cool that you are in Houston, it is a small world. Hopefully your friend took good care of the car for me, haha.

I am looking forward to learning a thing or two from you on the mods. Right now I haven't done anything except plug the hoses for the exhaust valves.

I will service the car next week and will have the fluid replaced then.

For sure let's meet up, I need to check out your ride.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Welcome to the forum!!! Nice colour, nice looking car.

Originally Posted by WG_moots
Hello all,

I recently (Nov. '10) purchased an '07Vantage, with 9700miles and recently ran into this forum. I don't know how I didn't stumble upon it while I was researching the care before I bought it ... it came up on Google when I was searching for information on "fuse 22".

I have now had the car about 2 months and absolutely love it. I have read a bunch of the threads here, lots of great information thanks!

I bought 6 quarts of the RP transmission fluid and will have the fluid changed at the annual service, due this month.

More on the car, I had the local AM dealership give me the service history (I bought the car at a Porsche dealership, the AM didn't have any used ones in stock). It did have the oil leak repair and a pice of interior trim replaced. Other than that, just in for regular service. It is Toro Red, I had the option of purchasing a silver roadster but opted for the coupe. I love the red and have gotten lots of compliments on it. I have owned 4 silver/grey cars and was ready for something different.

Both of the service guys from the AM dealership were very willing to help me and were very professional. They said the care was very reliable and when I asked about purchasing an extended warranty they told me details ($500 up-front inspection and $3500/yr) and told me it wasn't necessary or worth it unless I putting a ton of miles a year on the car.

They told me the most common problem they had with these cars was the battery going dead and having issues with lots of codes coming up / electrical system. They advised me to DRIVE it, similar to what I have read on this forum.

I came from a Cayman S and this thing is a whole new experience ... just a completely different car. It is not my daily driver but I have found myself driving it a lot more than I thought, can't stay out of it!!

I'll try to attach a couple of pics ... just in my garage as I haven't had a chance for a photo-shoot.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Allen121 is on a distinguished road
Congrats and welcome to the fam! She's a beauty!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
P-Gunna is on a distinguished road
Congrats and good luck trying to stay out it - "she's" addicting!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Welcome and congrats!!!
Very nice color. If you have any questions about mods shoot me a PM. I have a MY 2007 manual tranny coupe - done a lot of playing w/ aftermarket parts, done some track time and more than happy to share the ups and downs.
They are right ... get it out and drive !

Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Love that Toro Red...very sharp!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I love there red interior stitching on these cars.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
elp_jc will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the new car. My brother asked me to look for an '08 Vantage convertible, and I was shocked to see these cars selling cheaper than what I recently paid for my M3 V8. I'd have liked a coupe ten times more, since I'm more of a GT car type, and the M3 disappointed me on how noisy it's on the highway. And even though I bought it with every option on the book, it doesn't feel that luxurious inside at all. Drives great, but just realized this Vantage coupe is what I really wanted (darn, always late). I'm going to start doing some research, and even if I lose my a$$ selling it, if I can buy a coupe for what I sell mine, I might do it .

Let me ask the question I have for you guys: What tranny does this car have (Getrag, ZF, Aisin, etc.)? And what kind of clutch (dual-mass flywheel, etc)?

And the gentleman I talked to about my brother's convertible said the car had an engine oil leak fixed and some weatherstripping pieces. I'm going to research what's the deal with those leaks, since I'd probably buy the car out or just out of warranty. And since I live hundreds of miles from the closest AM dealer, I plan to do all my maintenance (love doing it), like always. Thank you for any help you can provide. Mods should have 'stickies' with info like this, rather than forcing us to search all over the place. Oh well. Take care gang.

Last edited by elp_jc; 01-20-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Just another thought - I have a great private shop doing the maintenance and mods on my AM. Their opinion is not a hard car to work on ... they are also able to buy parts from AM when needed.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I agree, the bmw interiors are very spartan and quiet bare. The V8 M3 is a nice car but its not on the same level of the aston as far as refinement goes.

The gearbox is the Graziano gearbox (the same in ferrari 360, 430, gallardo and R8 ... its far superior than the ZF and Getrag units. (Search for a thread i posted a while back for the graziano pdf)
________
Adaliexoxo cam

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:02 PM.