Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Check Engine Light ... fun :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Check Engine Light ... fun :)

Problem Fixed

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 11-14-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i'd get a scanner and read the CEL. it'll help you diagnose the problem easier.

a simple scanner is all you need. they are about $50 at auto supply stores or amazon.

emission related components are under warranty for a long time (something like 8 or 12 yrs).

Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Another possibility (low probability) ...

the stock cats may have just failed. If that is the case then I will go ahead and upgrade.
It might not be as unlikely as you think. Especially if your thermostat is ailing and you have been running rich.

Having said that I'm no expert. Have asked JR to jump on here and see if he can help you out.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
I have used a conventional OBDII scanner to read a 2007 Vantage engine code; easy fix identified and reset was not a problem. You may have to dig some if a non-standard code is identified...

During the 3 year routine service (car still under AM warranty), one cat was found to be "rattling". Tech reported that the grid inside had fractured...replacement ordered and installed the next week. I believe all emission components are required by law to good for 5 years/ 50,000 miles; I believe this is a Federal regulation and can't remember, off hand, if the California time/mileage limits are higher.

FYI, my thermostat has been acting up and will be replaced once my HID headlight "ignitor" arrives from England-three weeks tomorrow waiting for that part to get here .

The thermostat problem/running rich would definately stress the cats...it's possible that may have contributed to my early cat failure.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
jrkr is on a distinguished road
007 Vantage. The part that is vibrating is part of the P.C.V system, I've seen a bunch of them vibrate before, it's easy to switch out. It's attached to the top of the oil separator (the hose from the bottom of which runs into the front of the timing cover) which also have a tendency to leak a little oil, so check that with the mirror & flashlight you had out earlier. The Secondary Air Injection Pump is mounted under the intake manifold, one of the plastic hoses running off of the main intake ducting runs under the intake manifold, that's the intake side of the air pump. Regarding the picture of the euro spec V8 Vantage, I'm not too sure if that's the way they leave the factory..it looked too "dressed up" (chrome hardware on the strut bracing) & there wasn't the wiring harness for the Air Pump (required worldwide I think) on the front of the right strut tower. Any half decent code reader will pull codes from your V8, post the codes & I'll do my best to help out. I don't know what caused the smoke, but good on you for driving flat out for as long as you did! Cheers, John.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
here is a blowup of the emissions parts.

Attached Images   

Last edited by rmrmd1956; 02-06-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added guide
Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM
007 Vantage. The P.C.V (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system controls the gasses & pressure that develop in the crankcase due to compression blow by (compression getting past the piston rings, especially when driving your Vantage in a spirited manner). It used to be that these crankcase gasses vented to atmosphere, but that's not great for the environment. A PCV valve controls the flow of these gasses & the pressurization of the crankcase & routes them back into the intake manifold to be consumed by the engine.

It is indeed the intake vacuum causing your PCV valve to vibrate.

Any code reader that works on a CAN network should pull codes from your V8. Cheers, John.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
007 Vantage. Have a look through the menus on the scanner you bought. Most of them have a freeze frame function that enables you to view the snap shot of all the sensor readings when it stored a code. This information can give you a good idea of what the possible issue is. Also you should be able to view real time data when the engine is running...if you can view fuel trim on the two banks & there is a big difference in long term trim between the two at idle, then you know you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If it's just effecting bank 2 (driver side) then you need to check that side of the motor. If the long term trim is having to enrich one bank while accelerating (not full throttle) then I'd go down the route of a fuel supply issue or maybe an erroneous O2 sensor. If you can obtain the freeze frame & real time data, post it & lets have a look...Cheers, John.