Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

E-brake tensioner affecting performance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
E-brake tensioner affecting performance?

I've had the grinding/tinny noise coming from the rear on my car since I got it. It would happen every time I rolled from a stop and it was annoying. So I tried what others have done here and "bedded" the pads by pulling up slightly on the e-brake handle at speed to wear them down a bit.

Since then, the noise has gone away. At the same time, I noticed the engine felt more loose down low and that feeling that something was holding it back has gone away...which makes sense as the e-brake pads aren't clamping on the rotors.

So...it makes me wonder if the "self-cleaning" e-brake system causing some of the lack of performance on the cars. It may not be huge, but if there is a perceptible difference in looseness of the engine (even on my car), then it may be enough to cost the car a few tenths of a second here and there.

Just something to think about.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
If its not adjusted properly ... it of course can cause that as it will essentially be "dragging" ... That's why I recommended the "bedding-in" process for the E-brake as well at lower speeds. Ever since I did that on mine, many of the noises have gone away. They may return eventually but for now the problem is solved. In the end, there may be no cure, just temporary remedies (bedding-in once every 1000 miles or so).

________
Vaporizers

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Yeah besides the obvious "brake pad clamping on the rotor is gonna keep it from moving" I was thinking the contact would be very light...enough to create the sound but not enough to limit performance. But after seeing this change, I do think that some at least are so badly set up as to impair drivability. If you other guys have the squeal make sure to try bedding your e-brake pads and see if you notice the difference.