996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good news on coolant fitting pinning!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:12 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Good news on coolant fitting pinning!!!!!!

About a month ago or so I had the 90 degree fitting below the oil cooler pop out on me, dumping all the coolant. I posted on here "help coolant fitting" So I followed Steve`s post on Rennlist about pinning his GT3 fittings and as he only had 6 fittings, our turbos have 8. I removed all the neccessities including alternator, compressor, power steering pump and pinned the 6 fittings very easily without lowering the motor. Now for the 2 that are supposed to be a *****! I removed the tensioner brackett on top of the motor and also the 90 degree cast pipe that was connected to the bracket and Presto! the 7th fitting was staring me in the face and with the help of a Ryobi 11" flex drill shaft, I was able to drill, tap and install my 8-32 hex cap with red loctite again EASILY!
Now I was able to see the 8th fitting using a flashlight and I am thinking I can get a drill extention on a staight shot to this fitting. First remove fuel filter and then intake manifold behind air cleaner. Now you have enough room to drill, tap and install screw between the last 2 intake runners on the left side of the motor. Its a straight shot and I did not lower the motor. It was pretty fricken easy! I di not remove the plenum of intake on top of motor

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PORSCHE COOLANT FITTINGS 003.JPG
Views:	1037
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	426946   Click image for larger version

Name:	PORSCHE COOLANT FITTINGS 020.JPG
Views:	1080
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	426947   Click image for larger version

Name:	PORSCHE COOLANT FITTINGS 021.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	426948   Click image for larger version

Name:	PORSCHE COOLANT FITTINGS 022.JPG
Views:	889
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	426949  
Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Impressive job! Congratulations!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:35 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jpflip
Impressive job! Congratulations!
Thanks Jp. I wish I would have done this when I first got my car. There are a lot of failures and this piece of mind maintenance is definitely a good thing

Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Sounds like a not too difficult project for the DIYer. Are you drilling all the way through or just partially through the fitting? If all the way, are you worried about metal chips? It seems the challenge would be to drill just say 2/3 to 3/4 through the fitting without breaking through, then tapping to that depth. In that case a set screw may be easier to deal with than a cap screw. Good job. Thanks for the report and pics. Maybe a project after I complete my RWD.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 PM
I am only drilling in 1/2 inch to penetrate the actual fitting insert that is epoxied from the factory. I mark this measurement on my drill bit and tap. Now the drill bit is fluted so the shaving comes outward. also I am using thick grease on the bit and the tap. I then use a thin bottle brush to clean the threads before applying the red loctite BTW this the exact method that Sharkworks uses! Also set your drilling speed to SLOW

Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
What type of drill you using?

Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
What type of drill you using?
I am using a milwaukee electric with the the 90 degree milwaukee fitting and also a mikita 12 volt battery. The ryobi 11 inch flex shaft allows you to hold the drill bit where you want to as the shaft only spins on the inside. I also fabbed up a punch to indent the drill bit location. Presumably the most difficult one (the one on the left toward the front) was for me the easiest. A straight shaft with extentions put me right in the zone. Easy to drill- clean and vaccum often, and easy to tap

Old 08-27-2015, 04:07 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikerosi
I am using a milwaukee electric with the the 90 degree milwaukee fitting and also a mikita 12 volt battery. The ryobi 11 inch flex shaft allows you to hold the drill bit where you want to as the shaft only spins on the inside. I also fabbed up a punch to indent the drill bit location. Presumably the most difficult one (the one on the left toward the front) was for me the easiest. A straight shaft with extentions put me right in the zone. Easy to drill- clean and vaccum often, and easy to tap
Post pics of that chit!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
harbor freight has a small 90* drill for about 20$. its what i used

Old 08-28-2015, 10:42 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
very nice, well done. love it. what size is the drill bit , all the parts, # that you used please

Old 08-29-2015, 02:49 AM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for that great post. Subscribed.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by MadWhip
very nice, well done. love it. what size is the drill bit , all the parts, # that you used please
This is the same method that Steve used on his gt3 on rennlist. Search pinning coolant fittings with engine in car. I used 1/8 inch hex drill bit and used 8-32 stainless hex cap screws by 3/8 inch long. I also used the right tap with plenty of thick grease to capture the metal shavings! There was one which was at a slight angle and I used a 1/2 inch lenghth for that one (the 90 degree fitting under the oil filter). But as long as you use red loctite there is no worry about leaking

Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
How are you getting the tap in there?

Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
How are you getting the tap in there?
Johnny, I am using a 5/32 1/4 inch drive socket and that fits the 8-32 tap perfectly. Then I use a 1/4" ratchet with correct extentions

Old 08-29-2015, 10:47 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Sounds good just to let everyone know that taps are VERY brittle and is they snap all but impossible to drill out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good news on coolant fitting pinning!!!!!!