Day 1 - Weird scraping/grinding noise when doing stop and go driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:28 AM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Day 1 - Weird scraping/grinding noise when doing stop and go driving

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my 6-speed manual 2009 V8 Vantage today
I drove home on the freeway and everything was great. Then, as I entered some downtown traffic, I started to notice something odd and slightly worrisome (I think).

When driving in stop and go traffic, I notice that when I initially give it just a little gas (while in 1st gear) for a very slow start, there is this weird grinding/scraping noise until I give it even more gas. After I give it more gas, the noise goes away or at least I can't hear it because all I hear is that beautiful V8. It kinda sounds like brake pads that have accumulated rust, but this sound only comes when I give it very little gas to start from a complete stop, while never touching the brakes.

I then pulled into my buildings garage and tried to replicate what I noticed on the street. So, I let the car just crawl on 1st gear, without giving it any gas. Then, ever so slightly, I gave it just a little gas and that same annoying grinding/scraping noise comes back until I give it more gas.

Do these cars just hate to go slow? I only noticed this because of the stop and go downtown traffic. Otherwise, when on an open road and having a quicker start out of 1st gear, I don't notice anything. At least all I hear is the growl of the V8.

Whatever it is, I still have 6 months of the factory warranty left so I know I shouldn't worry because if there is a problem, the factory warranty should cover it, right?

In case it helps to diagnose this issue, the car has been sitting in a dealer showroom for the past 3 months without being driving (just had periodic engine start ups but not actual movement of the car). Also, the car only has about 3,300 miles now. Could all this just be some build-up of something that needs to get driven out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for being such a great resource.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 AM
eelton is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new car.

Others can chime in here, but my car makes a slight noise which could be described as scraping when starting out in first gear (or if I do a rolling stop and then start off in second). I've assumed it's normal, and I've seen other people describe the same thing.

These cars do have their quirks. I've also had a bit of a whine at times from the transmission when it's cold (also described by others), a rattling airbag (now mostly fixed), some creaking from the package shelf, etc. It's all part of the charm, I suppose.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know if it's applicable, but...

Corvettes make a rattling sound when letting out the clutch slowly at low revs. Called 'marbles in a can'. Result of interaction of the driveshaft and having a rear transaxle.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by eelton
Congrats on the new car.

Others can chime in here, but my car makes a slight noise which could be described as scraping when starting out in first gear (or if I do a rolling stop and then start off in second). I've assumed it's normal, and I've seen other people describe the same thing.

These cars do have their quirks. I've also had a bit of a whine at times from the transmission when it's cold (also described by others), a rattling airbag (now mostly fixed), some creaking from the package shelf, etc. It's all part of the charm, I suppose.
Thanks for confirming that eelton....definitely makes me feel better. I too would definitely describe the sound as more a scraping sound rather than grinding. I too have noticed a few other noises hear and there (especially with the sports pack and crappy roads) but I agree that's all part of the charm.

Either way, still it's still under factory warranty, so I am going to have AM of Los Gatos take a look sometime this week and see what they say. I'll report back either way, whether it's normal or if there is a fix out there.

Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner

Corvettes make a rattling sound when letting out the clutch slowly at low revs. Called 'marbles in a can'. Result of interaction of the driveshaft and having a rear transaxle.
hmm....thanks for your input XJRS but i don't think it's clutch-related. When the car is just crawling on 1st gear with my foot completely off the clutch and gas there is no noise. However, it's only when I give it a very small amount of gas (with my foot still completely off the clutch) that it makes a scraping sound until I give it more gas.

These cars are definitely a handful for someone like me who is curious about every single noise that sounds a bit odd. But then again, this is my first exotic so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
My C6 Z06 did the exact same thing that XJRS stated earlier. It makes you nervous because it sounds like gears or a synchro grinding. Like someone is swirling a marble around the bottom of a coffee can with a little sand sprinkled in for extra annoyance. Good chance that's your problem and if so, it's no problem at all. Let me share some experience with you from a guy who's owned fifty five cars. They ALL have their little issues. I finally got to the point where I had a choice to make. Keep chasing my tail trying to diagnose every single creak and rattle or turn up the radio and enjoy the car. Now, every time I hit a bump and my girlfriend says "Did you hear that"? I say, NOPE and turn up the volume!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner

Just took the car in for an inspection and you guys were right on....the noise (which I would describe as a scraping/dragging or at times like marbles at the bottom of a can) are completely normal on the V8 Vantage. Exactly as XJRS stated, it is the driveshaft interacting with the rear transaxle. Needless to say I am extremely relieved...

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
My C6 Z06 did the exact same thing that XJRS stated earlier. It makes you nervous because it sounds like gears or a synchro grinding. Like someone is swirling a marble around the bottom of a coffee can with a little sand sprinkled in for extra annoyance. Good chance that's your problem and if so, it's no problem at all. Let me share some experience with you from a guy who's owned fifty five cars. They ALL have their little issues. I finally got to the point where I had a choice to make. Keep chasing my tail trying to diagnose every single creak and rattle or turn up the radio and enjoy the car. Now, every time I hit a bump and my girlfriend says "Did you hear that"? I say, NOPE and turn up the volume!
That is some sage advice ptaylor....unfortunately, when I crank up the volume, I get this rattling from the door panel (that is getting fixed as we speak)

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Macksamus, that is an absolutely hysterical comeback.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 PM
phun-ky is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up That's right...

Originally Posted by macksamus
Just took the car in for an inspection and you guys were right on....the noise (which I would describe as a scraping/dragging or at times like marbles at the bottom of a can) are completely normal on the V8 Vantage. Exactly as XJRS stated, it is the driveshaft interacting with the rear transaxle. Needless to say I am extremely relieved...
Boy, the guys down at Los Gatos AM sure must think something is going on. I just took my new N420 in couple days ago for exacly the same reason

I was told the noise is caused by harmonic vibrations in the lightweight CF/aluminum driveshaft. These vibrations originate in the clutch and are transmitted down to transaxle and so the noise appears to come form the back of the car.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by phun-ky
Boy, the guys down at Los Gatos AM sure must think something is going on. I just took my new N420 in couple days ago for exacly the same reason

I was told the noise is caused by harmonic vibrations in the lightweight CF/aluminum driveshaft. These vibrations originate in the clutch and are transmitted down to transaxle and so the noise appears to come form the back of the car.
Congrats on the new toy!

I really like those guys over at Los Gatos. The only thing that's annoying is the lack of loaner car service. I had to rent a car from the local Hertz and "special" rate for AM customers was not so special....something like $35/day for a really beat-up Corolla. I heard that over at AM of Marin, they give you a Jaguar sedan....

Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
"I heard that over at AM of Marin, they give you a Jaguar...." Yup you're right. It's a turn-off to bring your A-M into Los Gatos and then have to go rent a car. I had mine into Marin for Warantee service which took nearly 2-weeks (Clutch had to be ordered from the UK) and this Jag XK was my loner car.

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I have an 09, which I have only put 1K miles to date but have never heard the noise that you have described

Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by millsjq
I have an 09, which I have only put 1K miles to date but have never heard the noise that you have described
Millsjq - I really only noticed when getting stuck in stop and go traffic or driving really slow through public garages. I also have a 6-speed manual so I'm not sure whether a sportshift car would make the same noise.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:41 PM
ccrispy will become famous soon enough
I have 2007 Automatic & my car does it in stop & go also when going slow only.. It sounds like when you have a manual & you change the gears to early... I asked my AM dealer to check the clutch they said it feels fine to them they couldnt check the clutch unless they opened the car up... These cars are very quircky mine has a problem where it takes 2 minutes to start just turns over & over it always starts but the problem is it never does it for the dealership but constantly does it for me its really annoying!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Day 1 - Weird scraping/grinding noise when doing stop and go driving