Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Funny response from AM Service Tech

Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM
anthem is on a distinguished road
Funny response from AM Service Tech

Ok, so have had the vanquish now and putting the first 100 miles on. I get the amber check engine light - thinking "brilliant, check engine already". The nearest AM dealer is 200 miles away, so I ask him whether I can hook up an OBDII scanner and read the codes and he can tell me how "important" this is. . . Well, get the OBDII scanner, hook it up and read "P0300 Multiple cylinder/misfires" error codes. I ring him back up and tell him I received the P0300 codes. His response :

"Aston Martin has spark plugs in the AM that are tested to 200mph. The engine and plugs don't like to be babied. You need to drive the living snot out of this car and stop babying the car. It wants to be rev'ed and go. Common error and you'll have to clear it quite often, but if you aren't driving spiritedly, then take another car". . .

My response -
A) Just what I wanted to hear.
B) Can I have him tell the state trooper when/if I get pulled over when driving it as recommended ?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
nacelle is on a distinguished road
snotty driving...

LOL.....

Congrats.... great story and well, you know what to do now!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Nice excuse for a cop

Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
His statement is partially correct but he is putting it in lamen terms (thereby making it inaccurate). The injectors & MPH relationship is a big stretch. The key is to get it into the high rpms to burn off alot of the built up carbon & etc, but you can do this just as easily in 1st & 2nd gear as you can in top gear @ top speed.

The reason the cars need to be driven is to burn up all the massive amounts of carbon that build up due to Aston purposely running these cars stupid rich. Run a couple cans of seafoam injector/fuel cleaner (or lucas or techron) in half a tank of gas and drive the car hard for a couple of days till the tank is empty. That should clean up most of your system. The permanent solution is getting your ECU tune in order to lean it out significantly in order to cure the cause of the problem (which should also give you much better gas mileage, if you care about that).

He is right with regards to cars that sit. They tend to develop even more problems than those that are active (just like a house that has a tenant vs. one that remains empty for a year). Same principle applies. You don't have to drive a lot of miles, but make every mile count
________
Laguna Bay Condo

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
brabham79 is on a distinguished road
i could swear the fuel economy instantly improves when i hammer the throttle for a couple minutes. its not by a massive amount but its noticable