Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

failsafe mode??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 PM
brabham79 is on a distinguished road
failsafe mode??

has anyone experienced this before?
i went on a long roadtrip from orange county CA, to sonoma, through monterey and san fran this past week. on 3 separate occasions the car slows to a crawl with the red warning exclamation and a message reading engine failsafe mode.
stopped the car turned it off, counted to 5 and turned it back on, no muss no fuss, no warning message nothing. car runs great...
these instances occured shortly after massive differences in driving habits (aka long steady bouts of even freeway driving, then all of a sudden stop and go city, etc) so i kind of chalked it up to the ecu freaking out and not knowing how to regulate the mix of air/fuel, etc.
and again, i would jsut wait a couple seconds and she turned over no problem and ran great until the next massive change in driving habits!
weird and scary

Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
I use to have the same issue with a 05 Jaguar S Type R I used to own, the problem was in the throttle body. Happened 3 times and I had put it in a flat bed every time.

I didn't know Aston had a similar issue.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:51 AM
it doesnt seem to be detrimental other wise it wouldnt start up with no issues instantly...again weird. anyway heres a shot in monterey on the way up
god this thing shoots amazing all the time!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:26 PM
droffsite will become famous soon enough
Just had this happen to me, but because of my own stupidity. Just changed my thermostat, then started the car up to see if I had any leaks. It sounded horrible, and the display indicated failsafe mode. Then I remembered that I'd forgotten to reconnect the wiring harness on the left under the throttle body.

I'm guessing you didn't change your thermostat while on your trip, but maybe you have a loose wiring harness connection somewhere.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
AM Dragon Maker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brabham79
has anyone experienced this before?
i went on a long roadtrip from orange county CA, to sonoma, through monterey and san fran this past week. on 3 separate occasions the car slows to a crawl with the red warning exclamation and a message reading engine failsafe mode.
stopped the car turned it off, counted to 5 and turned it back on, no muss no fuss, no warning message nothing. car runs great...
these instances occured shortly after massive differences in driving habits (aka long steady bouts of even freeway driving, then all of a sudden stop and go city, etc) so i kind of chalked it up to the ecu freaking out and not knowing how to regulate the mix of air/fuel, etc.
and again, i would jsut wait a couple seconds and she turned over no problem and ran great until the next massive change in driving habits!
weird and scary
Hi fella.

If the ECU is not disconnected from the battery the P codes stored will remain in the OBD freezeframe data. So a fault code scan checker will reveal the reason for the fault. If I was a betting man I would guess that a code which refers to fuel rail pressure measurement, but specifically the robustness of the measurement is at fault. If this is the case then there is no fault and this is an error in the hardware system which the OBD monitor serves to do nothing other than irritate you... but it's possible it could be any number of reasons.. Are you under warranty?

PS: you just reminded me of the time I hired a Harley and cruised from san fran to LA - you are a lucky man Highway 1 and Aston..!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:23 PM
i love it out here!
i have a scanner and will check it out when i get back in town next month. and no im not under warranty. so that always freaks me out when something weird happens.

so i have a dumb question about the thermostat...what do you mean change it? i didnt and did not know you could 'change' the thermostat.