Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brumma
As per karlfranz's suggestion I had the Porterfield brake pads installed a few weeks ago. So far, so good... No squeal (knock on wood), seemingly less dust, and great stopping power!

That's two I owe you karlfranz! I also had the oil changed recently and bought a case of the BMW Castrol 10w60. I owe you a beer or two--if you ever get over to the boring side of the state, let me know.

Now I just need replacements for those damned e-brake pads...
Any idea on what the difference is between the Castrol TWS 10w60 that goes in the bmw, and the Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 that Aston recommends?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by Teflonv8v
I had EBC red installed last friday. I plan on taken them off tomorrow. Ha!

Why? Too much brake squeal. There likely great for the track but the noise is unbearable for public roads. I tried heating them up by doing some 140-30 emergency stops but they still screeched at low speeds. Perhaps other members have had better luck, but for me, EBC fails.
Damn, wish I had found this thread before I ordered Red Stuffs front and back. Have seen them recommended elsewhere for the V8V. Hoping that mmmv ...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Any idea on what the difference is between the Castrol TWS 10w60 that goes in the bmw, and the Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 that Aston recommends?
You may want to move this to the ongoing oil thread ... I'm not sure where Irish is at but at at his dealership, my understanding is that they use the TWS exclusively for (at least for the V8V). I may be wrong but I don't think you can find Edge Sport in NA. TWS has a long (long) history and has been under development in conjunction with the M Division guys for over a decade. I don't think you can go wrong with it. If you really want to know more about it, GIYF ... there are legions of extremely long winded threads on it out there in various places.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
How were the carbotechs when it came to brake dust?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:17 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Almost no dust from the carbotechs, and they were completely silent. The ebrake development was haulted bc I sold my csr, but anyone can get a set from them, just send in an old set of stock ebrake pads and they will do the rest. Tell them to use the 1521 compound. With those plus the main pads, the rear brakes will never squeek again.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Was there any real trade off as compared to OEM? I know its been said there is not perfect pad and each has its trade off..

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I was never able to detect any trade off. The pads are a little but expensive, but not that expensive really. I guess the only real trade off of the 1521 is it's not a race pad for the track (but honestly who cares). In conjunction with the 2piece Brembo rears, the braking performance was borderline ridiculous (maybe even better than my lambo is now). The brembos make a massive difference IMO so if you are going to replace your brake pads you might as well do the rear brembo 2 piece rotors as well. The front Brembo kit is unnecessary and overkill, you can just upgrade pads up front.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
FYI, I contacted carbotech and the pads they have now no longer have the grooves for the pad wear sensors. You can still use them, you will just have to tie the sensors up and out of the way...not sure what I iam going to do. I had a set of the porterfields in the past, and they dusted a bit much. Might just bite the bullet and run the carbotechs without the sensors..

Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 PM
That's odd, mine had the grooves for it. If you send them a set of stock pads they should be able to make a special set for them.

The Ebrake pads are piece of cake to do.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM
My Redstuff's arrived today ... I'll report back once I get them on and u, brake them in ...

Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
please don't encourage commercial non-sponsors to post as a registered user

Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
please don't encourage commercial non-sponsors to post as a registered user
Sorry.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Had the carbotechs installed today. They squeak so bad I think I am going to take them off. Anytime I stop under 30mph, and apply any pressure on the brakes it is really loud....pretty embarrassing. Were they any notes on the install for the Carbotechs that would make it any different than any other car? The OEM shims were re-used.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
This is a really helpful thread....I'm bumping it to the top!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Update, the carbotechs stopped squeaking. They definately dust less than the OEMs, but not dustless. Kinda wish I went with the Porterfields..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New brakes?