Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My Journey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
My Journey

How I got here.... I was minding my own business surfing the internet when I accidentally stumbled across a link for an Aston Martin vantage. Ever since then, I cannot think about much of anything else (materialist wise). I had to learn all I could about this auto.One thing lead to the next and I was thinking about buying an AM. First it was going to be a '07 MY or '08MY. Then I learned about the '09MY improvements, now, I am looking at a '10MY. So in the course of a couple of weeks I have gone from 65k to a 115k budget. This past weekend I test drove a '10 V8 Vantage Base with sports package, manual, cruise, power seats, GPS with red interior and grey exterior. The car came in right under my budget at 114k. I have been looking like mad to find a AM '09 or later that I really like and under the 115k magical barrier, but I have had little success, at least on the net. The dealer I test drove the Vantage at wasn't very good. It was obvious he was trying to sell me the car he had sitting on the lot. When I asked about the B&O stereo, he said they didn't make it for the v8, that the only other option was the 160w stereo. The test drive itself was interesting. I'm not the best with a 6spd, not too much experience, but I can get around. This car shifted well, though I will be practicing awhile to get good on one. I really wanted the autospd when I started this journey but many, many articles I have read suggest the 6spd is the way to go. Since the car will be a weekend warrior for the most part, this is not a big deal. The stereo sounded OK (160w) but to be fair, I listened more to the car, which sounded great. I was surprised by how hard the car rode, perhaps it was the sports package. I believe the stiffer suspension did add to the harsh ride and thus I would prefer a AM without it. I was also a little surprised how light the front end felt. In fairness the test drive didn't last that long and was mostly in an old neighborhood. The looks of the car are great as well as the color scheme. The seats felt great and the view out of the cabin wasn't too bad. Nothing on my test drive did anything to dampen my excitement for the car. However, I came away with a few thoughts/concerns... - Service: Closest AM service department is 200 miles away. I live in a rural state and there aren't many good high end mechanics close by either. I had read that the clutch in these cars can get destroyed fairly easy unless one can drive a stick well, which I'm always concerned about, so a good service department might be needed...lol - Stock/Price (finding a car): It seems there is a limited supply/choice of 09-10 Vantage available at my budget in a configuration I think I would like better (i.e. no sport package, 700w audio (not a deal breaker but would prefer it) and no GPS (no luck in finding a single AM listed without it). Another consideration on the list is spending 100k on a garage queen, which ultimately determines if I should even buy one. I just love the look of the AM and think I could have fun driving it to the mountains, Sunday drives, etc....however if that ends up not being the case, it's going to be painful to get out of this car should that occur. Right now I am tempted to just buy the AM that I test drove, even with the 160w stereo and the sports package, especially considering how few 09-10 alternatives there are currently. I would be interested to hear other folks perspective/opinions on my situation. I'm sure some of you have had to go through something similar. Any advice or thoughts would be welcomed.... Quibbs

Last edited by hed; 06-13-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
jvmax is on a distinguished road
first question, what cars have you owned in the past? Most of us have gone thru BMW's, Porsches, etc. and wanted something a little more exclusive and sexy which have brought us to the Aston Martin Vantage. I bought my 07 last month, for me it had to be one of the 3 silver colors, and it had to have a manual. Oh and it had to be in the $60's. If your spending over $100k, make sure you get the car you want with the options you want as there are a lot for sale and not too many buyers. in regards to the clutch, a little heavier than most cars I've driven but on par with a dodge viper, ferrari 360 that I used to own

Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jvmax
first question, what cars have you owned in the past? Most of us have gone thru BMW's, Porsches, etc. and wanted something a little more exclusive and sexy which have brought us to the Aston Martin Vantage. I bought my 07 last month, for me it had to be one of the 3 silver colors, and it had to have a manual. Oh and it had to be in the $60's. If your spending over $100k, make sure you get the car you want with the options you want as there are a lot for sale and not too many buyers. in regards to the clutch, a little heavier than most cars I've driven but on par with a dodge viper, ferrari 360 that I used to own
I currently drive a BMW 335i coupe. Love it, drives great, plan on keeping it. I've owned a 911 Carrera cab (2000), BMW M3(smg), BMW 545, BMW M roadster, X5 and many other cars. (Yes, I enjoy BMWs) This would be one of the more expensive cars I've owned (the 911 is currently the most expensive). I am looking for a weekend driver more than a daily. The AM would represent a different kind of experience from my BMW. Honestly for comfort and everyday life I do not think I would consider the AM though I'm sure it would be competent in that regard. For me the great debate is, spend 70k+ for the 4.3 and see how I enjoy being an AM owner or go straight to the 4.7 and the improvements that came with it. How are you enjoying your '07? Are you using it for a daily? Are you satisfied with your choice? Have you driven the 4.7 and if so, how does it compare to the 4.3 in your opinion. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I was in a similar situiation 6 months ago, looking at EBAY, Autotrader and cars.com every day. I would check every Aston dealers inventory every few days. I missed on one car where I was with in 2K in the price with the dealer and they sold the car without calling back! Anyway, I found a 09 Sports Pak, sportshift, every option except piano black, with 4K miles for less than 100K. Do not settle for the base stereo, almost every car I was looking at had the premium (6oo watts) stereo and it is great. I am also 3 hours from the nearest dealer and live in very rural area.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
QuantumN420 is on a distinguished road
My first Vantage was a 2006 6spd. It was a blast to drive and I was like a kid in a candy store when I first laid eyes on it! Fast forward to present day and now am in a 2011 N420 w/sport shift. I will say that these cars have always been weekend warriors for me, so I was adament on 6 speed only. However, when I came across the 2011 it was exactly optioned in every single way EXCEPT it was a sports shift. I still pulled the trigger on it because it was the right color, it was the N420 that I wanted, and it had 800 miles on it so someone else ate the depreciation of a new car. So without even driving it (was buying it from another city) I bought it. I will say that I never considered sport shift...never wanted a sport shift....and read things online about sport shift that made me think it was garbage. But driving it turned me into a believer. I am in love with the fast and smooth shifts (even in sport mode) and haven't regretted (or missed) having a 6 speed. Also, going from the 2006 4.3 to the 4.7 has also been great. You feel the power difference....not dramatic like going if you drove a V8 and then jumped in a V12....but still you can tell the difference in my opinion.

There are some good deals to be found on some 09 + Vantages. I would recommend to stick with the 4.7. Where are you located by the way?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
hed,
I was on a similar journey. In the end I wound up buying a new '10 V8 Vantage Roadster with the SportShift. It also has the 700w stereo. The car is awesome. It is a total sensory experience. The stereo is one of the best that I have had in my cars. The attention that the Vantage attracts is endless. I also own a '11 Porsche Panamera Twin Turbo. The PTT is much faster and is an engineering masterpiece, but it is the exact opposite as the Vantage as far as the sensory experience. I think you can find the Vantage with the equipment you want within your budget. Fyi, I noticed that the dealership where I bought my Vantage in Greenwich, CT has a 2010 Vantage with 1400 miles listed for $117,500.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Buying the vantage was probably the most difficult auto decision I've ever had to make and for many of the same reasons you stated such as dealer proximity. Also weighing on my conscience, was spending fairly big money on a car that didn't really produce big numbers. Heck, my Z06 would spank my vantage so badly it wouldn't be funny and it only cost HALF as much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a performance junkie with a need for speed. But when you're spending a lot of money on a car, one would assume that it packs a serious punch and to me, the vantage does not. But ultimately, I bought the vantage for its sheer beauty. Kinda like people buy paintings and sculptures. Call it automotive art. But you should know that I bought my vantage at a good price. I would NOT have purchased an AM in the 100's. Not when you can get the same looks in an earlier model for far less. This is just my opinion but here's what I would do. In the 100k range, I would buy an 09 Audi R8. If you really want a vantage, buy an 07 or 08 in the high 60's to mid 70's. Stay away from the sports pack as it clearly is not what you want. (Stiff ride) Also, if you want looks and stares from the public, the R8 will win that category hands down. When people look at my vantage, they do so with a puzzled expression like what is that? When an R8 drives by, necks are snapping and cameras are clicking. They know exactly what an R8 is. In summation, I wouldn't spend 100k on a vantage when you can buy one that looks exactly the same for 68 with a little less horsepower that you probably wouldn't use anyway? Here's one of my other cars. It only cost 20 grand and gets ten times the looks and compliments than the vantage. Go Figure!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Must be you're neighborhood. Around here, Mustangs are a dime a dozen, an R8 attracts less attention than a Viper (which I can understand because I don't think the R8 looks that great), and I get people with cameras all the time taking pictures of my Vantage.

To the original poster: find the "right" car. You'll know it when you see it. At $60k or $100k, its a lot of money, so don't just buy anything.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
jvmax is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hed
How are you enjoying your '07? Are you using it for a daily? Are you satisfied with your choice? Have you driven the 4.7 and if so, how does it compare to the 4.3 in your opinion. Thanks!
including the 200 mile drive home, I have put on over 400 miles. I have 10 cars in my collection and work from home so I try to drive 4 or 5 each week. Others I drive are a 1999 M Coupe, 1995 Porsche 911, 2006 Chevy SSR and my work vehicle a custom lifted 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I also have a 1988 BMW M3, 2001 Plymouth Prowler, wifes 2007 escalade, and restoring a 1959 Ford fairlane Skyliner and 1974 BMW 2002 Tii. The Vantage replaced my just sold 2002 Acura NSX.

I did not want to drive the 4.7, because then I would not want the 4.3 But as others have said, for $100k i would get a used Audi R8. I knew I wanted a Vantage, wanted one in the $60's. Found a one owner with only 7700 miles. My car has 19 inch rims, and red calipers as only options. I love to drive and listen to the engine so I do not need a fancy stereo or navi. Yes I am very satisfied with my decision.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM
hed
Much thanks for sharing your individual experiences and opinions. Since someone asked, I am located in South Carolina. The AM I tested didn't seem to be all that much speedier than my 335i. Perhaps the AM is faster, but it just didn't feel that way. However, I'm not overly concerned. As was mentioned in a reply, I'm drawn to the sights and sounds of the car more than the performance. One could argue if performance, handling and mpg were the priorities, a 911 would be the winner. I really appreciate the Porsche, but I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for the design in this case. It seems consensus is get the 700watt audio! I Agree. The promise of great audio was part of the original attraction. For transmissions I'm under the impression that the 6spd manual is the way to go for pre '09MY AMs. Correct? Even though the car is a weekender a lot of driving in traffic will occur, I would like that experience to be as pleasant as possible. I understand the improvement to the newer models with the sportshift helped quite a bit. Is that a fair assessment? Tough choices. My first step this afternoon was to fill out the car finder for Aston Martin of Atlanta and get them to start looking for me. I have been looking on ebay, autotrader, cars.com and all the AM dealers I can. The perfect scenario for me would be a '09 for 100k or under, stick or even SS, 700watt, no nav (not a big deal either way), one of the silvers or greys for exterior and black or darkish red for the interior.Good news is, half the fun is the hunt....

Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hed
How I got here.... I was minding my own business surfing the internet when I accidentally stumbled across a link for an Aston Martin vantage. Ever since then, I cannot think about much of anything else (materialist wise). I had to learn all I could about this auto.One thing lead to the next and I was thinking about buying an AM. First it was going to be a '07 MY or '08MY. Then I learned about the '09MY improvements, now, I am looking at a '10MY. So in the course of a couple of weeks I have gone from 65k to a 115k budget. This past weekend I test drove a '10 V8 Vantage Base with sports package, manual, cruise, power seats, GPS with red interior and grey exterior. The car came in right under my budget at 114k. I have been looking like mad to find a AM '09 or later that I really like and under the 115k magical barrier, but I have had little success, at least on the net. The dealer I test drove the Vantage at wasn't very good. It was obvious he was trying to sell me the car he had sitting on the lot. When I asked about the B&O stereo, he said they didn't make it for the v8, that the only other option was the 160w stereo. The test drive itself was interesting. I'm not the best with a 6spd, not too much experience, but I can get around. This car shifted well, though I will be practicing awhile to get good on one. I really wanted the autospd when I started this journey but many, many articles I have read suggest the 6spd is the way to go. Since the car will be a weekend warrior for the most part, this is not a big deal. The stereo sounded OK (160w) but to be fair, I listened more to the car, which sounded great. I was surprised by how hard the car rode, perhaps it was the sports package. I believe the stiffer suspension did add to the harsh ride and thus I would prefer a AM without it. I was also a little surprised how light the front end felt. In fairness the test drive didn't last that long and was mostly in an old neighborhood. The looks of the car are great as well as the color scheme. The seats felt great and the view out of the cabin wasn't too bad. Nothing on my test drive did anything to dampen my excitement for the car. However, I came away with a few thoughts/concerns... - Service: Closest AM service department is 200 miles away. I live in a rural state and there aren't many good high end mechanics close by either. I had read that the clutch in these cars can get destroyed fairly easy unless one can drive a stick well, which I'm always concerned about, so a good service department might be needed...lol - Stock/Price (finding a car): It seems there is a limited supply/choice of 09-10 Vantage available at my budget in a configuration I think I would like better (i.e. no sport package, 700w audio (not a deal breaker but would prefer it) and no GPS (no luck in finding a single AM listed without it). Another consideration on the list is spending 100k on a garage queen, which ultimately determines if I should even buy one. I just love the look of the AM and think I could have fun driving it to the mountains, Sunday drives, etc....however if that ends up not being the case, it's going to be painful to get out of this car should that occur. Right now I am tempted to just buy the AM that I test drove, even with the 160w stereo and the sports package, especially considering how few 09-10 alternatives there are currently. I would be interested to hear other folks perspective/opinions on my situation. I'm sure some of you have had to go through something similar. Any advice or thoughts would be welcomed.... Quibbs
Dude...paragraphs are your friend. I was interested in reading your story, but after a couple lines my head hurt.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Must be you're neighborhood. Around here, Mustangs are a dime a dozen, an R8 attracts less attention than a Viper (which I can understand because I don't think the R8 looks that great), and I get people with cameras all the time taking pictures of my Vantage.

To the original poster: find the "right" car. You'll know it when you see it. At $60k or $100k, its a lot of money, so don't just buy anything.
Agree. R8s are not particularly attractive. And AMs get plenty of attention (in a good way) due to their rarity and classic good looks.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 AM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hed
Much thanks for sharing your individual experiences and opinions. Since someone asked, I am located in South Carolina. The AM I tested didn't seem to be all that much speedier than my 335i. Perhaps the AM is faster, but it just didn't feel that way. However, I'm not overly concerned. As was mentioned in a reply, I'm drawn to the sights and sounds of the car more than the performance. One could argue if performance, handling and mpg were the priorities, a 911 would be the winner. I really appreciate the Porsche, but I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for the design in this case. It seems consensus is get the 700watt audio! I Agree. The promise of great audio was part of the original attraction. For transmissions I'm under the impression that the 6spd manual is the way to go for pre '09MY AMs. Correct? Even though the car is a weekender a lot of driving in traffic will occur, I would like that experience to be as pleasant as possible. I understand the improvement to the newer models with the sportshift helped quite a bit. Is that a fair assessment? Tough choices. My first step this afternoon was to fill out the car finder for Aston Martin of Atlanta and get them to start looking for me. I have been looking on ebay, autotrader, cars.com and all the AM dealers I can. The perfect scenario for me would be a '09 for 100k or under, stick or even SS, 700watt, no nav (not a big deal either way), one of the silvers or greys for exterior and black or darkish red for the interior.Good news is, half the fun is the hunt....
If what you are looking for is an '09 for less thank $100K, take your time as there should be a few options for you now or in the near future....just gotta be patient.

I was in the market last July and didnt' find my car until April of this year - that would be a 2009 Titanium Silver with every option (incl. sports pack) in a 6 speed manual for $94.5 with only 3,200 miles.

Best of luck to you

Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
hed - Just a thought - I have a 2007 4.3 w/ lots of AM/RSC mods - quicker and handles better than 4.7 Car now has 20k miles (bought new) and has been no different than owning a P-car for main't. Tough decision, but if a weekend queen, suggest save the money ...

Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 AM
hed
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Dude...paragraphs are your friend. I was interested in reading your story, but after a couple lines my head hurt.
Sorry about that, must be a setting (?), I actually did use paragraphs but every time I posted it just keep lumping it all together so I gave up....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Journey