Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My Journey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Michael. Buying a 4.3 with the upgrades makes a lot of sense (I am biased a bit though). Like Porsches, the AM cars look SOOO much better lowered. I am sad to be selling my car now and it looks like the buyer will get $20K in upgrades and sorting for free. I know I'll miss it a lot.

I too had a 1995 911 (great car that I miss). I had a 2007 997 Turbo which I sold when I bought my AM and don't miss much at all.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 PM
BLAM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Buying the vantage was probably the most difficult auto decision I've ever had to make and for many of the same reasons you stated such as dealer proximity. Also weighing on my conscience, was spending fairly big money on a car that didn't really produce big numbers. Heck, my Z06 would spank my vantage so badly it wouldn't be funny and it only cost HALF as much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a performance junkie with a need for speed. But when you're spending a lot of money on a car, one would assume that it packs a serious punch and to me, the vantage does not. But ultimately, I bought the vantage for its sheer beauty. Kinda like people buy paintings and sculptures. Call it automotive art. But you should know that I bought my vantage at a good price. I would NOT have purchased an AM in the 100's. Not when you can get the same looks in an earlier model for far less. This is just my opinion but here's what I would do. In the 100k range, I would buy an 09 Audi R8. If you really want a vantage, buy an 07 or 08 in the high 60's to mid 70's. Stay away from the sports pack as it clearly is not what you want. (Stiff ride) Also, if you want looks and stares from the public, the R8 will win that category hands down. When people look at my vantage, they do so with a puzzled expression like what is that? When an R8 drives by, necks are snapping and cameras are clicking. They know exactly what an R8 is. In summation, I wouldn't spend 100k on a vantage when you can buy one that looks exactly the same for 68 with a little less horsepower that you probably wouldn't use anyway? Here's one of my other cars. It only cost 20 grand and gets ten times the looks and compliments than the vantage. Go Figure!

Sounds like words from the wise. But are you serious about the Mustang? LMFAO!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM
My AM 4.3 is just a little faster than my 335i Convertible. My C6 is a beast compare to the AM. The experience of owning an AM is incomparable- most beautiful car IMO. Coming from a 335i, you will miss the comfort access/push start if you get a pre 09. The 700W premium sound system is a must have.

The R8 is nice but IMO not as aesthetically pleasing as the AM. The GTR is fugly.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I'm totally serious about the mustang. I've owned 55 cars. Everything from BMW, Mercedes, regular vettes, Z06's, Miata's, 69 Chevelle SS, four mustangs and everything in between. I have NEVER had so much praise, attention, thumbs up, conversations etc... than I did from this mustang. It's every mans car and the general public responded very well to it. When I listed it for sale on Autotrader, I got calls from all over the country AND Canada about it. Some didn't want to buy it, they just called to tell me how nice they thought it was and it was now saved as the background on their computer. I even got some angry comments from friends when they learned I sold it. This mustang was by far, the easiest car I've ever sold and it went to a guy out of country in Ontario Canada who wired the entire asking price into my checking account without ever having seen or driven it! In fairness though, I did change the front end and wheels to look like a Supersnake prior to selling it. So when I sold the car, it actually looked like this. However, it actually got many more compliments in the first photo when it had the dual stripes.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
I can believe it about the Mustang. A friend of mine bought a 2006 Dodger R/T Charger in the orange/black combo when they first came out. We could not go anywhere together without him getting a thumbs up or someone making a comment. It was crazy. I have owned cars twice as exotic and expensive that have never gotten a 1/4 of the recognition, go figure ..... You guys with the 4.3 are echoing my feelings somewhat. I can get close to the 4.7 with some upgrades and save a good bit of money in the process. However, before I give up on the 4.7 I'm going to work with some dealers to see if I can get a 2009 first. If it just doesn't work, the fall back will be a 07 or 08 my. If I get the older models I will use the left over budget to upgrade my HT projector or get another jet ski

Old 06-14-2011, 03:18 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by stearnsn
I agree with Michael. Buying a 4.3 with the upgrades makes a lot of sense (I am biased a bit though). Like Porsches, the AM cars look SOOO much better lowered. I am sad to be selling my car now and it looks like the buyer will get $20K in upgrades and sorting for free. I know I'll miss it a lot.

I too had a 1995 911 (great car that I miss). I had a 2007 997 Turbo which I sold when I bought my AM and don't miss much at all.
I tried to send you a PM but I do not have enough post yet to do so, should appear under visitor messages.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
hed- Get a Pre09 and use the saving to get the Mustang.

ptaylor- Your old mustang is very nice. I'm just surprise you get more attention from it than the AM.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Dude...paragraphs are your friend. I was interested in reading your story, but after a couple lines my head hurt.
I was thinking the same

Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM
hed
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I was thinking the same
I've already posted an apology in this thread. Perhaps it would not let my original layout work because I was running noscript, I'm not sure, but more than three times I had gone into edit to get it right and neither time did it stay. I have not had this problem on any other forum I have used. My only other option was to just not post, which seemed silly given anyone who did not want to read it could just skip my post.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
you have PM

Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 PM
jvmax is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stearnsn

I see you car was on ebay I think, what are you looking to get for it?