Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

****Clutch Life****

Old 05-19-2016, 12:04 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Funny that you should mention this, because Aston Martin is going to be releasing a retro-fit kit for the V8V, to allow owners to fit the Twin Plate V12VS unit into the V8 cars.

It's not going to be a recall, and I'd bet it's going to be a lot more expensive than our version, but it will be essentially the same thing.
That's a nice, subtle way to acknowledge a wide-spread problem without admitting liability for it...

Old 05-19-2016, 12:14 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by telum01
That's a nice, subtle way to acknowledge a wide-spread problem without admitting liability for it...
Simple fact is, boutique manufacturers cannot afford recalls, so they do things like this.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Very true, and perfectly understandable. But they also can't afford to shut themselves off from their community of owners, especially those of us trying to proactively help the marque. Unfortunately, they squander that resource and it only makes their situation all the more precarious.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Zettinger
2009 with 10260 Miles - Clutch was replaced with ~8500 Miles with previous owner.

My car received a new clutch since a hose came lose and greased the clutch. This happened during a service at AM and clutch was replaced.

However, I had burned clutch smell when I had her idling in neutral in my driveway and when I parked the first couple days backwards in my garage it smelled terrible.
It seems to be better now but I only own her for couple 100 miles yet.

Is that normal or do I build up a problem?

I only drive drive MT cars since I sit in the driver seat and never had to replace a clutch in my live.
Need to quote myself here..
Does anyone has the phenomena as well, smell while idling in neutral or parking backwards?

Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Zettinger
Need to quote myself here..
Does anyone has the phenomena as well, smell while idling in neutral or parking backwards?
If you ride with your foot on the clutch pedal, you can partially engage the clutch get a burning smell and a lot of other ways to get a burned smell, does the car rev and then start moving when you let off the clutch?

If it went away, I would identify what was going on when the smell occurred and correct, i.e. what you did to make it happen. If for any reason you were not causing this, then I would take it to a dealership for a look see. Clutch could have hung up for some reason or something even worse.

But most times it is the drivers fault, missed shift, foot on pedal, slow to let off pedal when revving the engine and a lot more ways besides what I mentioned.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
Very true, and perfectly understandable. But they also can't afford to shut themselves off from their community of owners, especially those of us trying to proactively help the marque. Unfortunately, they squander that resource and it only makes their situation all the more precarious.
You are sooo right!!
That is why I was wary to buy my Lotus and AM, as I was not sure they would stand behind their product,

Old 05-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by randyb
If you ride with your foot on the clutch pedal, you can partially engage the clutch get a burning smell and a lot of other ways to get a burned smell, does the car rev and then start moving when you let off the clutch?

If it went away, I would identify what was going on when the smell occurred and correct, i.e. what you did to make it happen. If for any reason you were not causing this, then I would take it to a dealership for a look see. Clutch could have hung up for some reason or something even worse.

But most times it is the drivers fault, missed shift, foot on pedal, slow to let off pedal when revving the engine and a lot more ways besides what I mentioned.
Hi Randy, thanks for the reply.

I was not in the car.
She was running in the driveway, shifter in neutral as I walked in the house to grab something.
It smelled like burned clutch somehow.

Maybe it is related to the new clutch?!

Old 05-19-2016, 06:28 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
If most the time it's the drivers fault we must be lousy lot at driving!

Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM
rocketdog is an unknown quantity at this point
V8V: New clutch at only 5.7k miles!

Bought a 2010 V8V Roadster with only 4.7k miles last December from a PA dealer as our Christmas present. It has the Sportshift and I was aware of the usual short life of the clutches. Washed it a few weeks ago and but then it wouldn't go into gear. Had it hauled to the AM dealer in Phoenix (covered by insurance) They said the clutch was trashed and replaced it for $6k. They had never replaced a clutch with such low mileage. No warranty. The PO apparently lived outside of NYC and drove it exclusively as an automatic in the stop-n-go traffic. Disappointing and has taken the edge off AM ownership.

Why do they have a "D" button and why that silly "COMFORT" button. The owners manual says nothing about overuse in a full automatic mode or encourage paddleshifting exclusively to get the most out of your clutch. I did lots of research on the AM cars before buying. Very little is written about how to best use the Sportshift

Old 07-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
One of three things my guess:

Someone who previously owned the car that would have somehow a used the clutch with bad driving,

Someone who started the engine and did not wait for the clutch kiss procedure - ever,

A defective clutch.

Possibly a fourth option, some internal software glitch, a reason I insist on the latest updates annually.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:58 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
One of three things my guess:

Someone who previously owned the car that would have somehow a used the clutch with bad driving,

Someone who started the engine and did not wait for the clutch kiss procedure - ever,

A defective clutch.

Possibly a fourth option, some internal software glitch, a reason I insist on the latest updates annually.
The reality is that the clutch in these cars suck!
There is really no other way to say it. If this was a Ford or Chevy the government would have forced a recall in the first year.
I understand that AM is a small brand with limited R&D, having said that, you cannot convince me that some tester at the factory did not say to the suits, guys the clutch is garbage.
It would have cost too much to install the v12 clutch? The average AM owner would have gladly paid another $5K for a decent clutch. I have become so paranoid about the clutch I shift the car into neutral when approaching a slow speed corner, then engage 2 gear in the middle of the corner. That's after I tried downshifting before the corner and was rewarded with a smell form the overexcited clutch!
Rant over. Love the car. AM should have done better.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:54 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I agree with above. It's really almost never the drivers fault, it's a crap clutch. I haven't ever replaced a clutch before, but I've smelled this clutch half a dozen times in the year I've owned it. I respectfully decline to accept fault. I don't know how long mine will last. I've never smelled a burning clutch before this car, but that can't be good.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:43 AM
dskippy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RHYNO
I thought I would start a thread to see how many miles people are getting out of there clutch.

Please post your cars:
YEAR, TRANSMISSION TYPE and MILES or KM

I will start.

I have a 2009 SportShift Vantage with 18,000 MILES and I'm still on the same clutch!!
My 6spd managed 37k miles before it started it looking like this.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:41 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
2008 clutch was last replaced at 39k miles. currently at 62k miles and I'm expecting 20k more miles!

Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 AM
chizv8 is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 sportshift UK 36,191 miles still on original clutch.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.