Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Soliciting advice, potential new guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Chippy is on a distinguished road
Soliciting advice, potential new guy

I've been trying to do some research on the web within different sites and forums, but this group seemed to be the most active. Trying to solicit some advice as I might be forging ahead to purchase an AM.

I'm looking for tips and advice on purchasing a 2006 V8V with 12,400 miles. Honestly speaking, I'm a Ferrari guy, but the wife says we can't jump up to a 430 quite yet until we get some debt down. However, we came across the Vantage and it peaked her interest. With the Ferrari's, is all about getting a PPI and checking the records. Is that true for the AMs? Anyone have or know of any problems with the 2006 V8V - can't seem to find any, which is good. Things to watch out for or check? The dealer is reputable here in central OH, we've purchased other vehicles form them in the past. Car is 1 owner, low miles, clean, only 1 paint "ding" in the driver's corner, well maintained with all records. They're asking 72.5k. Will hopefully be test driving it after the holiday weekend, but any advice/wisdom/tips would greatly be appreciated before I go into the dealer. I do think it's a bit high in price though. Thanks in advanced!

http://www.magastonmartin.com/used/Aston%20Martin/2006-Aston+Martin-Vantage-6bbb8a830a0d048e00b7b8319b0308a4.htm

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-04-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Active link to commercial non sponsor site
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
The 06-08 run the same in terms of the engine. There are some hallmark issues which are easy and don't affect the performance. First, there can be a noisy belt that fixes easy. The gas lid button doesn't always release. Again a fix that all dealers can do in minutes. Some have a minor oil leak that will have probably been corrected after a year or 2. Other than that, pretty reliable. I would think that if you are looking at a car in service for 3 years or better most of these things would be addressed by now.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
If you can swing it, I'd recommend getting an '09 or newer. The 4.7L is a much more eager engine and many of these niggling issues Jay referred to have been sorted with the new generation Vantage. If a 4.7L isn't in the cards, I'd personally want to get an '07 or '08 over an '06 because of the new seats introduced in '07. The new seats are supposedly more comfortable and are better looking IMO. Just for your information, another difference between the '06 cars and the others is that there are no LEDs on the exterior door handles of the '06 cars.

One more recommendation to anyone considering buying an Aston is to read Grant's book: "The Definitive Guide to Gaydon Era Aston Martin." I'm sure you can order a copy by googling the name.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
happy your getting a 6 speed , nice car, took a look at it, its clean, of course get the car certified with a warranty since your buying it from a dealer ( Aston Martin Dealer, right???) and play with those numbers....

Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 AM
eelton is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Racer_X
If a 4.7L isn't in the cards, I'd personally want to get an '07 or '08 over an '06 because of the new seats introduced in '07. The new seats are supposedly more comfortable and are better looking IMO.
From the pictures in the link, this car has the newer seats, which I thought were introduced in 2007. Did any 2006s have them?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by eelton
From the pictures in the link, this car has the newer seats, which I thought were introduced in 2007. Did any 2006s have them?
Does appear that way. I suppose Aston could have phased the new seats in beginning with the late '06 cars.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 AM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
well, the 06 seats are known for wear, are they not? maybe it got swapped out recently after it degraded too much. 72k for an 06 seems a little high to me. I'd be looking to pay that for an '07.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Check those leather dashboard panels near the windshield and above the instrument cluster for shrinkage around the edges and see if the leather is pulling away. DEFINITELY do a PPI and check the timing chain gasket otherwise know as the (Rope seal) for oil leaks while under the car. To answer your question, service records are very important on AM just like any other exotic. Make a list of all these items we've spelled out for you here and have them all checked during your PPI. 72K for an 06 is too much $$. I have a celebrity owned 08 sport shift with every possible option including lifetime Sirius radio that was owned by an NFL starting quarterback with 4K miles. My car stickered for $132K and I paid 75 for it 6 months ago! Doing your homework will help you make a wise decision on this.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Sent you a PM ....

Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I have a celebrity owned 08 sport shift with every possible option including lifetime Sirius radio that was owned by an NFL starting quarterback with 4K miles.
I hope that wasn't Brady's car or hex on you. Go Jets!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Chippy is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone for the advice and info. Will definitely look into those items mentioned. Don't know if it's going to be the one quite yet, just needed some knowledge on my side when I went to talk to the dealer. Much appreciated!

Michael - read your PM. Can you PM me your email addy? Being a noobie, the board won't let me reply to your PM until I get a higher post count. Thanks!

Last edited by Chippy; 09-06-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
"... an NFL starting quarterback with 4K miles."

Must be McNabb, Brady doesn't run that much.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM
No, good guesses though. Here ya go: http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...f-9970950d37b1

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 PM
BklynNY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
No, good guesses though. Here ya go: http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...f-9970950d37b1
It says he is 6'5"...no wonder he sold the car! With all that money I wouldn't be surprised he ordered one sight unseen and then realized it was too small...unless he bought it for somebody else.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 PM
All I know is that he traded it back in and bought this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA7YoSkFZkI

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Soliciting advice, potential new guy