Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help Me pick a car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:51 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
If you are going for a DD, and want something special then it goes like this.....
1. Turbo S Awesome car to drive as a DD. The engine is a work horse. Very reliable. (A little biased here)
2. Audi R8 V10, but not much as a DD IHO
3. California- not a DD IHO- it's too much of an attention getter.
4 Vantage - no way a DD- it's too much of an attention getter.
Bentley- if you are a rapper.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
If you've only driven the 4.3L Vantage, you really can't comment on the V12V. They are night and day different cars to drive. Trust me, I've owned both.
Racer X,
You have a good point.
I had a similar experience when I test drove a 997.1 c4s and compared to the 650 I owned, the c4s was no faster, lots of back wheel hop around the corners, absolutely no amenities (Nav, BT, Ipod), and it costs so much more. So at that time I was turned off from porsches, but when testing the new 997.2S I was blown away at all the improvements in every area and thus was a huge porsche fan.
So it is possible that the new one is significantly better and will take your word for it. But for a high end DD in that price range I would still stick with my an R8 or TTS, and would not complain with any of the others.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I'm sorry, but of all the cars on the list, the R8 is the least attractive by far and certainly not 'lustful', followed closely by the California.
You can't really make sweeping statements like that about a cars attractiveness as though it was an objective measurable thing. The R8 is quite polarizing in that lots of people think it looks amazing, whereas others think the opposite. They couldn't make R8's fast enough, and the car has barely depreciated (used) due to demand...a used 08 R8 costs more than a used 08 GT3, despite the GT3 being faster and a purer drivers car. I put it to you that the looks of the R8 has done quite a lot of the selling. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, but it's not much faster than an M3 for a whole lot more money.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
I couldn't have said it better myself.
QUOTE=maroli;3315301]You can't really make sweeping statements like that about a cars attractiveness as though it was an objective measurable thing. The R8 is quite polarizing in that lots of people think it looks amazing, whereas others think the opposite. They couldn't make R8's fast enough, and the car has barely depreciated (used) due to demand...a used 08 R8 costs more than a used 08 GT3, despite the GT3 being faster and a purer drivers car. I put it to you that the looks of the R8 has done quite a lot of the selling. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, but it's not much faster than an M3 for a whole lot more money.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-15-2011, 04:02 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maroli
You can't really make sweeping statements like that about a cars attractiveness as though it was an objective measurable thing. The R8 is quite polarizing in that lots of people think it looks amazing, whereas others think the opposite. .
You're wrong. I can make sweeping statements, since it is my opinion that the R8 is a pig's breakfast of a design. I didn't say it was the world's opinion...

Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I've come to learn that XJRS often speaks in sweeping terms. His choice of verbiage and assertive tone makes it sound like his opinion is all-inclusive. It's probably due to the lack of using phrases such as "I think…" or "in my opinion…" in his vernacular.

Last edited by karlfranz; 09-15-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
...and he isn't afraid of ruffling feathers either.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
@JayMoney Its great that you chose the V12V I actually test drove an 08 V8v to get a feel for the drive of the car (the dealer has no V12V) I have to say I was surprised by how much I liked the car. It has a really excellent ride and the exhaust tone is intoxicating. You say that your V12V is a weekender, How many miles have you put on it? Is the fit and finish still what it was new? Anything needed to be fixed on the car?

@Finder, Definetlay not playing with all of you. I find it interesting to hear first hand experience from people. I havent just been listening to what everyone test drove, but also what they have purchased and how they feel after the purchase. It is easy to put the cars together and look at specs, Its easy to take each out for a test drive, Its hard to understand all the benefits/drawbacks of owning one. My real reason for this is to understand why people pick what they pick. Before I was into Porsche I never really gave them a single thought. It was when I was looking into sporty cars that a friend of mine convinced me to look at a Porsche. I just didnt understand Porsche and how great the cars are until I drove one, and fell in love. Its a bit harder to have that big of a difference (porsche vs mercedes, or porsche vs BMW) in the cars that I am looking at, So I am trying to take in as much experience from others as I can.

@XJRS I can see if you are an Aston Fan that the R8 may look strange to you. Mainly because Aston is all long in the front short in the back, and the R8 is all short in the front long in the back. I do disagree with your opinion though, I think the R8 is a very nice looking car.

At This point I can update you guys on where I am leaning:

I am pretty sure the bentley is out. Great Car, Lacks the feel I am looking for.

The Cali is totally off my radar now. The more I have spoken with people the more I have been able to define the things I dont like about the car.

I am pretty sure the current ranking order is as follows

V12V
911 Turbo S
R8 V10

All I have left to drive is the R8 V10, and it may be completely possible that I dont find one to drive and it will be eliminated on that alone.

I am excited that if I want a V12V I will be able to get a December build and have it end of January early February as a 2012 model. Which also means it will have the Garmin Nav system in it vs the old Volvo system.

Any other words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all for being so detailed in the input.