Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help needed removing Vantage sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Exclamation Help needed removing Vantage sills

I'm finally getting around to installing my N420 sills.

The sills are attached to the body by a series of screws, bolts as well as a couple of clips.

In removing the existing sills, I've managed to remove all the screws and bolts and undo the two front clips. The rear clip, immediately behind the door is another story, though.

The workshop manual is useless. All it says for the last step is: "Release clips (x2) wing to sill and remove sill."

Can anybody who has done this before please tell me what the trick is to releasing the rear clip.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I'm finally getting around to installing my N420 sills.

The sills are attached to the body by a series of screws, bolts as well as a couple of clips.

In removing the existing sills, I've managed to remove all the screws and bolts and undo the two front clips. The rear clip, immediately behind the door is another story, though.

The workshop manual is useless. All it says for the last step is: "Release clips (x2) wing to sill and remove sill."

Can anybody who has done this before please tell me what the trick is to releasing the rear clip.
I've done a few, the clip is the same as on the front of a DB9 bumper..black clip with a hook, I use a long hose pick tool (ones from snap-on for cooling hoses), pry carefully up on the hook and slide the sideshirt off..actually think the front clip is the same as the rear clip that your trying to remove also..

Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
I've done a few, the clip is the same as on the front of a DB9 bumper..black clip with a hook, I use a long hose pick tool (ones from snap-on for cooling hoses), pry carefully up on the hook and slide the sideshirt off..actually think the front clip is the same as the rear clip that your trying to remove also..
The front clips have a little black tab (2 per side of car). I just lifted each tab and the sill slid out. The rear is a different design and I don't see a tab at all. I'll try a long pick tool and see if I have better luck. Thanx.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
The front clips have a little black tab (2 per side of car). I just lifted each tab and the sill slid out. The rear is a different design and I don't see a tab at all. I'll try a long pick tool and see if I have better luck. Thanx.
You won't see the tab, I push the tool through the hole on the sideskirt to slide it off the clip, sometimes if I can't get it with the long hose tool, I use a snap-on utility screw driver(those free ones they give out) with a 90degree bend in it..my first one took me an hour or so just on 1 rear clip, once you've seen it, makes it easier..but like I mentioned before, it's same concept as the DB9 front bumepr clips..sill clip is smaller but same idea..you keeping the old sills?? if you aren't just use a hole saw so you can see it better..

Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Karl, I am interested in getting the N420 sills for my 09 Vantage. Where did you get yours and how much were they, and cost to paint? PM me , if you would if you do no want to post prices.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by millsjq
Karl, I am interested in getting the N420 sills for my 09 Vantage. Where did you get yours and how much were they, and cost to paint? PM me , if you would if you do no want to post prices.
I'm afraid any info I provide you would be pointless in your pursuit. I bought my sill from another forum member who bought them and then decided to get the V12/V8VS sills instead. He had them painted to match my car prior to shipping them to me and although the paint job was a great match colorwise, I don't think it's up to the quality of the paint job on the rest of my car.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:44 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Karl, Thanks for the info. If anyone else has any experience on cost of the sills and paint work please let me know.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Karl-Franz - got a pic or more description of that clip you mentioned at the rear? Irish said above he spent an hour on one rear clip. I'm about 5 mins away from tackling this job & I don't fancy that at all. Is the clip you mention on this diagram?

And - how did you lift the car with the old skirts still on? I'm just gonna jack the car up and put blocks under each tire - one side at a time.

I doubt you'll have a chance to reply before I'm well into this so we'll see how it goes. Knowing Irish's experience with these that clip comment has me concerned.

Attached Images  

Last edited by BMW-North; 04-20-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added diagram
Old 04-20-2018, 01:18 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Ok I'm finished & I'll post a few pics of the removal as it was unlike anything I read on here. Firstly I'm working on a 2006 V8 Vantage so not sure if the specs were changed for newer models.

A member posted a link to a video for me but I just got back on here now so I'll look at it to compare it to mine.

I started by raising the car onto blocks so it was a little easier to work underneath the side of the car.

First off the rear clip was simple - it was the front clips I had difficulty with as I was expecting them to be the same as the rear. When I grabbed a mirror I could see they were actually quite simple.

The bottom torx screws along the side skirt are self explanatory and you should remove at least the first torx screw on each the front and rear wheel well to get your hand in there behind the skirt.

I started from the back - removed the lower wheel well torx bold to access in behind the skirt. There were 2x10mm nuts to be removed in addition to loosening the clip.

Working forward you also need to remove the door weather stripping along the bottom of the door frame. Mine appeared to be held on with a thin bead of adhesive. I used a plastic card to pry it off. This will require a cleaning and resealing with adhesive. Beneath this weather stripping are three screws that hold on the top of the skirt and at the front of the door jamb is an 8mm bolt with a rubber grommet that holds the skirt via a tab that is open at one end so it can slide off.

Removing the lower wheel well torx at the front wheel & in behind is one 10mm nut to be removed. My surprise was the 2 clips at the front of the skirt. I only read about one so couldn't figure out why it wouldn't release after I popped the first one. These clips have an extended lever you simply push to release the barb from the skirt tabs. Side skirt off - other side was a breeze knowing now what to look for.

Edit: Correction - you do just loosen this 8mm bolt but the bolt comes away with the side skirt - not remaining on the car. The rubber grommet is actually a steel washer - I was able to see it all better once the sills were removed.

Last edited by BMW-North; 04-20-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:08 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Glad it worked out for you as I just seen your post now, I did mine a few years ago on a 2009 and it was the exact same as yours