Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

RSC ECU now available as flash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Quick Straw Poll

Would anyone be into a group buy for the OBDII software? I have been toying with the idea of a discount on the first 10...

Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AMFixer
Wonder if RSC flash will effect any flashs from Aston,
Or if a Aston flash will effect RSC flash
I just picked this one up. No, the RSC software will not affect any Aston updates. Rather than 'flash' the ECU (in the good old days, tuners would actually overwrite the whole ECU with the new file) what we are doing is to copy the file which is on the car. This file is then emailed to us, and a checksum is used to compare that file to the performance files which we have written on the dyno. Any changes to the relevant maps are made to the original file we have been sent. The modified file is sent back to the customer and written onto the car.

So as of that moment in time, any updates already made to that particular ECU remain intact, software ID and version are retained, VIN is retained, all the markers are unchanged.

The only way an AM update later on would affect the RSC programming is if they made changes to that portion of the map, or alternatively, if the entire ECU was rewritten (not standard procedure for most software updates.) In the unlikely event that RSC programming was lost by a manufacturer's update, we offer free unlimited free re-writing.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Would anyone be into a group buy for the OBDII software? I have been toying with the idea of a discount on the first 10...
You mean the PCM flash or ODBII scan software??

Old 10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by irish07
You mean the PCM flash or ODBII scan software??
It's the same thing - the new system we are using plugs into the OBDII port and reads/writes to the PCM, so we are doing our ECU tuning by this method from now on. It also includes a DTC code reading/clearing capability.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Is it such a stretch to think that a lowly company like RSC might have the ability to do the same thing as AM and produce a 10BHP boost through the same changes? That's not the only change that we make to the ECU, but why is it that an AM ECU upgrade that does this is the dog's danglies, and if RSC does it, it is 'just a remap of the original'?

No, it isn't a stretch that you can do it. And if you feel that you are a lowly company in my eyes, you have missed my point.

The AM factory power upgrade ECU was marketed as a different software entirely, not simply a reprogrammed ECU. From what I have read, their engineers devised a new code that acted as the inverse of knock control, which adapts spark for the fuel in use to give the most power possible at all times. Is your ECU code better just because you, too, have new software code?

If you do have new code, and not just new numbers flashed into the existing code, how has your code been accepted by an ECU re-flash via your hand held device? I think that you most likely offer a re-program of existing numbers, keeping the same OEM code.

Do you have the actual spark and fueling graphs that show before-and-after values? The relationship between the ECU and the associated power gain is posted elsewhere on the internet and it would be possible to calculate exactly why your power upgrade and ECU are so special.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by CRVETR
Is it such a stretch to think that a lowly company like RSC might have the ability to do the same thing as AM and produce a 10BHP boost through the same changes? That's not the only change that we make to the ECU, but why is it that an AM ECU upgrade that does this is the dog's danglies, and if RSC does it, it is 'just a remap of the original'?

No, it isn't a stretch that you can do it. And if you feel that you are a lowly company in my eyes, you have missed my point.

The AM factory power upgrade ECU was marketed as a different software entirely, not simply a reprogrammed ECU. From what I have read, their engineers devised a new code that acted as the inverse of knock control, which adapts spark for the fuel in use to give the most power possible at all times. Is your ECU code better just because you, too, have new software code?

If you do have new code, and not just new numbers flashed into the existing code, how has your code been accepted by an ECU re-flash via your hand held device? I think that you most likely offer a re-program of existing numbers, keeping the same OEM code.

Do you have the actual spark and fueling graphs that show before-and-after values? The relationship between the ECU and the associated power gain is posted elsewhere on the internet and it would be possible to calculate exactly why your power upgrade and ECU are so special.
I don't think RSC is a lowly company, it is one I'm proud to be a part of, and to have helped build but we clearly have no credibility in your eyes and I'm not sure why. Have you ever called us, or enquired about our products? You seem to have jumped to all sorts of conclusions about RSC without doing your research because all the allegations you have posted about our design, manufacturing and warranty/insurance so far have been wide of the mark by a long shot to say the least. When you first started jumping on my posts I suspected you were affiliated with Mike somehow, which may or may not be the case but I really don't understand why you have it in for RSC so badly. We have a great reputation as far as I'm concerned, and a lot of happy customers who post on here frequently to confirm that.

As for our ECU tuning, do you really think that I am going to post proprietary information on a public forum about a product we developed and draw a map for potential competition to start replicating that product?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
I just picked this one up. No, the RSC software will not affect any Aston updates. Rather than 'flash' the ECU (in the good old days, tuners would actually overwrite the whole ECU with the new file) what we are doing is to copy the file which is on the car. This file is then emailed to us, and a checksum is used to compare that file to the performance files which we have written on the dyno. Any changes to the relevant maps are made to the original file we have been sent. The modified file is sent back to the customer and written onto the car.

So as of that moment in time, any updates already made to that particular ECU remain intact, software ID and version are retained, VIN is retained, all the markers are unchanged.

The only way an AM update later on would affect the RSC programming is if they made changes to that portion of the map, or alternatively, if the entire ECU was rewritten (not standard procedure for most software updates.) In the unlikely event that RSC programming was lost by a manufacturer's update, we offer free unlimited free re-writing.

Good to know.....now let's see if I can find someone who wants it......people always ask. At least now I can direct them somewhere.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Marcos AMV8 is infamous around these parts
Hello Stuart, one question. Its possible to return back to the original ECU map? I explain myself, here in Spain we have a govern law that we have to go to a fiscal workshop were they see if our car complain with the law in all the aspects so maybe if I change my ECU will not pass emissions laws, I now in the EEUU you can put a dead dog in the engine if you want but here you have to ask to the president of the nation for colour the mirror covers, seems crazy but trust me is true :P So if I want to return to OE ECU what can I do? Another question is how I fix your ECU via that port? By a computer? Need a special program? And also I want to know if you have like a third stage of ECU for economy fuel? Here the liter is 1.45 dollars so if a galon is more than 3 liters imagine the price we have to pay to get full the tank Or your ECU flash economize fuel consum if I go in normal driving?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't think RSC is a lowly company, it is one I'm proud to be a part of, and to have helped build but we clearly have no credibility in your eyes and I'm not sure why.

Stuart, re-read my post. I never said that you were a lowly company. Far from it, as you have done some nice things. My comments were not directed at you in particular but rather all Aston-specific ECU tuners in general. I'm not "after" you, but if you are not going to prove the same credibility as companies such as RUF, ESS and others, I am not going to give you the same credit for the Aston brand as I give them for the brands that they serve. Some extra data would be nice so that I know what I would be getting with the ECU remap, and if that data provides value for money. I'm not being a smart-a$$, but dude, your not the only game in town, and to say that I am picking on you seems a bit ingenuous.

With other companies, Bamford included, the performance gain possible from every parameter, not just the top end of the rev curve, has been made totally transparent, and the dyno tests are there to prove it. My request was a simple one.

You have already stated in previous posts on this forum that you do not change the software code, but rather numbers within that code. To ensure the real world value that your re-flash offers, transparency of those numbers could be cross referenced and it would serve to strengthen the validity of your product. My point; Don't ask me to take it on faith.

For example, the production set spark, fueling and cam timing are public record from the factory, and as far as I can gather only a few degrees of spark separate where the production calibration was set, and the limit for knock/detonation is. The same limits for fueling have also been outlined. How much of where you pitch your settings in such a small window that could affect the sensitivity of the IPR in the grand scheme of things? It seems to me that the number that you choose would be just your take on what the safe limits are OK to exceed, where the factory did not. And the gain at the sacrifice of safety comes without extensive testing in real world conditions or independently verified. I'm not dumping on you, and I think that you are taking this as a threat. I will say that, upon buying an Aston, I will have Bamford Rose do serious work to the headers, exhaust and and airbox to get a car that has increases in low, mid and high torque gains that eclipses any other tuner. They have proven what they can do in racing and street vehicles. I don't own Bamford Rose stock, but I am just as big on them as 007 is on Eurotune and you are on your products.

Admittedly, I am not a fan of ECU mods, as I have not seen that they provide much other than a bit more top end torque and a bit better "feel" (which is always a bit subjective). No one has shown me documented proof that it actually increases hp with normal high test gas, and the whole cost/value equation leaves me wanting. That said, I have seen proof that headers, for the same money, do increase the hp/torque curve at all levels, and that different pipes and a better air box and high quality cats will perform even better in concert with the headers.

As to your statement that you have happy customers, I don't doubt that. Just realize, however, that other applications may show to be superior. To be fair, you have taken a few shots regarding "The Emperor's New Clothes" yourself.

Last edited by CRVETR; 10-20-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Crveter, my understanding is Bamford is in England. How can you get them to do work on your car if you're in the states? Do they sell the parts to you and then a dealer installs them?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Seattle Sun-

I will be sending the car to England for a complete v12 overhaul, new headers, intake manifold, exhaust pipes, new brakes and cats. It will also undergo a new paint job and interior re-do by Sarah Maynard. She will also be putting in a touchscreen for most of the functions on the center console and an uprated nav system.

This is a car that I intend to keep long-term, so I don't mind the spend. Sarah says it will be he car that she originally designed for Aston, but that Aston could not afford to produce.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Whoa! Why not just get a V12?

It's gotta be around the same price after all is said and done. I'm sure your V8 will be a great looking and fast car, but I would rather have the factory V12.

I'm struggling with paying 2 grand for a tune LOL

Last edited by seattle_sun; 10-20-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 AM
This will be a v12 project on a DBS. Getting a well-used DBS for little money is pretty easy to find. Add in a paint job, interior done to spec, wheels, tires.

I shouldn't really say that the engine is really a complete overhaul; more like a major refresh using better components,plus new headers, intake manifold, air box, new cats, different brakes and some engine redesign. The goal is 600+ bhp with a much stronger power curve. It will be designed for low and mid torque, rather than top end.

The whole thing comes in well below the price of a new one, I get an interior that meets my specific desires for surfaces, an infotainment and nav that are far superior, and I don't have to wait 6 months for delivery.

Last edited by CRVETR; 10-21-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
[quote=CRVETR;3346584]
For example, the production set spark, fueling and cam timing are public record from the factory
quote]

I've looked over www.astonmartintechinfo.com and every public forum available about Aston Martin and I cannot find the production spark, fueling or cam timing. The best I can do is read info out of my own OBD2 port but it really isn't the same. Where did you find this information, I would love to have it?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CRVETR
This will be a v12 project on a DBS. Getting a well-used DBS for little money is pretty easy to find. Add in a paint job, interior done to spec, wheels, tires.

I shouldn't really say that the engine is really a complete overhaul; more like a major refresh using better components,plus new headers, intake manifold, air box, new cats, different brakes and some engine redesign. The goal is 600+ bhp with a much stronger power curve. It will be designed for low and mid torque, rather than top end.

The whole thing comes in well below the price of a new one, I get an interior that meets my specific desires for surfaces, an infotainment and nav that are far superior, and I don't have to wait 6 months for delivery.
That's a ton of work. Where do you stand right now? Please keep us up on progress and pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RSC ECU now available as flash?