Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

low water temprature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 AM
duo
duo is infamous around these parts
low water temprature

just found a problem of my 08 v8v, while I driving on the hwy under 5C outside temprature, the water temp only read at 1/4.

is it a common problem? easy to fix or not?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 AM
CTP855 is infamous around these parts
If I'm understanding you correctly, your temperature gauge reads at 1/4 when your driving on the highway in cooler weather? Is that correct? If so, I have a 2007 V8V, and when I take it for a spirited drive on the highway in ths cool fall weather, my temperature gauge also reads at 1/4. When I come off the highway and drive back into normal street driving, the temperature gauge goes back to its normal 1/2. I actually called the local dealer about this, and was informed that this was normal and not to worry about it. It was explained to me that the cool weather has a tendency to keep the engine running cooler on the highway.

Like yourself, I thought this was unsual because none of my other cars do this. The temperature gauge remains constant no matter what the outside temperature is.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
I do know that we have seen a few issue with thermostat's on the V8V. The car should warm up to temp no matter what the temperature is outside, granted it may take a little longer.

Last edited by AMFixer; 12-05-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM
duo
thats what i thout also

Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM
duo
i can understand what dealer say,but it doesnt make sense

Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
it is quite normal, don't worry.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
my car reads the same in cold outside temp. normal for the car I guess

Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
. . . normal for the car to have thermostat problems. As noted above, the car should get up to normal operating temperature even when the weather is cold.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:54 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Thermostats and temperature

Thermostats are supposed to restrict the water flow to only circulate inside the engine until the water temp reaches 180 degrees. Then it opens up and water will flow to the radiator(s) for extra cooling. There are thermostats that open at lower temperatures such as 160 degrees. Now, in the modern car, the water temp gauge is nothing more but an idiot light and does not represent the actual water temperature. Reason is that drivers would get paranoid and visited the dealership if that gauge went up (or down) some. So most cars will show this gauge stuck up straight halfway on the dial. Some cars are showing the actual temperature and you see the needle move accordingly (Porsche for instance).
I am thinking that - if the temp ( regulated by the thermostat at 180 degrees) really only shows 1/4 ie the actual temp is WAY lower than 180 degrees you have a problem and the engine is just not where it needs to be do run efficiently. So the question for the AM owner is a simple one. Do you have an idiot light or a real water temp gauge just because you are curious. And totally separate from that... you might have a problem in both cases if the gauge shows 1/4 at normal full operating temperature. Am I right ??

Old 12-04-2011, 05:17 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Your thermostat needs to be replaced, as others have mentioned the needle should always reach the 9 o'clock position regardless of the outside temperature. This seems to be a common failure on these cars.

It isn't too hard to replace it yourself and you can save a few extra $$$ by using the Jag thermostat and buying it on-line.

Use the search function and you will find a procedure with pictures and parts numbers.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
That's right, your Thermostat outer rubber has come off and is blocking the thermostat open A very common problem. I had mine replaced under warantee. You can use the Jaguar thermostat, which appears to be identical to the Aston one at about 1/5th the cost, but the gasket for the Jag probably won't fit. If you're careful when you diassemble, you can reuse the gasket that's already there.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 AM
SL500UK is infamous around these parts
It's your thermostat. Your heater won't be as hot as it should be either and I hear you car will use up even more fuel than it should.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 AM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
Hmmm...great post, I have the same issue. Order the Jag thermostat last night. Are there any other gaskets you need?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
If someone does this can they post if the Jaguar gasket fits. I know the theromstat is the same, but is the gasket. I would think so.

You can reuse the coolant, if you collect it in a clean container. It wont hurt anything.

You should not need any other gaskets to do a thermostat.

You may see a decrease in fuel economy has the car thinks it is still cold, so it will try to warm itself up. The open loop of the 02 sensors causes this.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
What would happen if you left the thermostat in the open position? Would it make any difference besides taking longer to warm up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: low water temprature