Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

GMR Supercharger for V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
GMR Supercharger for V8V

Saw this one on the Pistonheads Aston forum. GMR now has a kit that will fit the 4.3 and the 4.7 . . .

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...e_gmr_600.html

Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Very awesome..nice find,

Old 12-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
great find. Thanks!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I wonder if GMR will suggest that it will "**** on the V12".

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaymoney
I wonder if GMR will suggest that it will "**** on the V12".

I found this part of the article interesting:

"Despite the V12-baiting performance, the GMR kit is hardly a rival to the bigger engined car - anyone lucky enough to be in the position to afford a V12 is unlikely to be cross-shopping an aftermarket kit for an earlier car."

Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
I read through all of it. I have a new Vantage S. It says that on the 4.7 engine it will pump out 600hp and 500tq. That's big power. Maybe when my warranty expires I will go for it if it proves reliable.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
You missed this quote Racer-X "
With the prices of early V8s on the slide, that means it should be possible to create a Vantage that can out-gun the V12 for well under £50K" lol

No matter what, I would not purchase a forced induction kit without an aftercooler or intercooler. Water injection is not true cooling. 15 pounds is about 32k? Ridiculous.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I read through all of it. I have a new Vantage S. It says that on the 4.7 engine it will pump out 600hp and 500tq. That's big power. Maybe when my warranty expires I will go for it if it proves reliable.
When I had my 4.3, I considered a SC because loved the configuration of my car and it was a roadster. The problem is the fact that once you do this, even if the warranty is gone, it will be difficult to get a dealer to do simple things with the car. Then if you consider the timing, there will probably be car that is of similar performance available with a warranty and without the worry of what could go wrong. With that in mind, it became an easy decision. That being said, the quicksilver option of all new piping seems to be a better option. Most dealers approve quicksilver. So if you can add 40HP to the 430 your car came with, you may be able to keep your warranty and do so for a lot less and no concern over the affects on the engine. That's what I would do if I had a 4.7.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by markesq
You missed this quote Racer-X "
With the prices of early V8s on the slide, that means it should be possible to create a Vantage that can out-gun the V12 for well under £50K" lol

No matter what, I would not purchase a forced induction kit without an aftercooler or intercooler. Water injection is not true cooling. 15 pounds is about 32k? Ridiculous.
This is a great point. I think that GMR has probably advanced this project further towards a reliable solution but I don't like the idea that I have to add water. It doesn't seem modern to me. The big dilemma is that in reality, this car wasn't meant to handle this kind of power. Even the V12 can be a bit hairy in some situations. Cars like the Lambos were designed for higher speeds and can handle the extra HP from forced induction. This still comes at cost and a concern. The end result though is a car of extreme capability. If you add a SC to a Vantage, your hope is to compete with another Vantage, the V12. More power than that is probably not usable in the cars configuration and may hurt the car. Keep in mind, the V12V prototype had 600HP and they had to scale it back because they couldn't keep it on the road.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I decided a while ago that I don't want to put an aftermarket supercharger on my Aston, no matter how fast it would be. There are many reasons for my decision, including reliability, possible damage to the engine, maintenance issues, resale, and, possibly more than anything, just the feeling of not having a "pure" Aston. I couldn't agree with evo more -- I would take the V12V over the aftermarket supercharged V8V every time.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
V12 will still reign supreme... something I finally realized. After sitting in the V12 and seeing the drastic improvement in fit & finish in quality I realized the V12 is still a superior car. And by sometime next year they should be in the $150k range which doesn't it make it that much more than a new V8VS & etc.

Not to mention, minor things on the V12 would easily bump it to same HP levels (high flow cats, etc).

I too have opted for the V12 route. I will most likely be picking one up some late spring early summer. I enjoy the Lambo immensely, but I will never love it as I loved my Aston. I'm sure I will love the V12 even that much moreso.

To each his own. Other than basic bolt ons totaling less than $5-8k, you really shouldn't be spending more than that on a V8V, better off saving up for the V12.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I decided a while ago that I don't want to put an aftermarket supercharger on my Aston, no matter how fast it would be. There are many reasons for my decision, including reliability, possible damage to the engine, maintenance issues, resale, and, possibly more than anything, just the feeling of not having a "pure" Aston. I couldn't agree with evo more -- I would take the V12V over the aftermarket supercharged V8V every time.
Agreed....things start to breakdown. Wonder how the tranny will do...

Old 12-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
I know I should probably do a search, but how loud is the quicksilver? One of the nice things about the car is that when I'm driving with my wife I can keep the revs in the quiet range and she'll have no complaints. When I had my 993TT with fabspeed bypass pipes we would end up taking the Audi because my wife hated the noise.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I know I should probably do a search, but how loud is the quicksilver? One of the nice things about the car is that when I'm driving with my wife I can keep the revs in the quiet range and she'll have no complaints. When I had my 993TT with fabspeed bypass pipes we would end up taking the Audi because my wife hated the noise.
I spoke with Mike at Bamford Rose about this on his forum. He indicated that they can tailor the noise levels to where you want them, and that there is not a direct correlation between sound levels and airflow. Therefore, they can still provide free flow without the system being obnoxiously loud. If the BR exhaust system (manifolds, cats, QS silencer) is developed for the V12V and if BR comes across the pond, I will likely talk to Mike/QS about designing the system to maintain noise levels about where they are stock, which I am happy with. Also, I may speak with him about retaining the flaps, which I now control with a wireless remote. The flap control is really nice for when you want to be able to carry on a conversation at higher revs.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I spoke with Mike at Bamford Rose about this on his forum. He indicated that they can tailor the noise levels to where you want them, and that there is not a direct correlation between sound levels and airflow. Therefore, they can still provide free flow without the system being obnoxiously loud. If the BR exhaust system (manifolds, cats, QS silencer) is developed for the V12V and if BR comes across the pond, I will likely talk to Mike/QS about designing the system to maintain noise levels about where they are stock, which I am happy with. Also, I may speak with him about retaining the flaps, which I now control with a wireless remote. The flap control is really nice for when you want to be able to carry on a conversation at higher revs.
Chambered exhaust systems are a little different, but almos all aftermarket applications will use a 'straight through' box - ie, there is a solid pipe going in, and a portion of the pipe running throught he box is constructed from perforated pipe, which allows sound waves to escape into the silencer. Sound 'level' is determined by altering the amount of perforated pipe.

So it's pretty easy to do from a construction point of view. Actually, the RSC 'Touring' exhaust for V8 Vantage was originally designed as a specific customer request. Flaps are a little different, that means a full redesign of the system to accomodate 2 exhaust gas pathways and obviously the incorporation of the valves.

If you are interested in a customized sound level and a product which is available in North America, RSC offers customization as an option to all of our customers and currently has exhaust, catalyts and performance intake kit (filters) available for your vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GMR Supercharger for V8V