Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 basic mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
DB9 basic mods

Hello all... Planning on taking delivery of a db9 here in the next couple of weeks if ppi goes well. Wondering what are a few basic first mods for this car, the example I am looking to purchase is a 6 speed manual w/ sports package.

In the Porsche world there is tuning, intake, exhaust, etc as basic upgrades. For the db9 so far I've heard of a company called RSC who do some upgrades, interested in their spacers to widen the track width slightly, and perhaps a set of eibach or h&r springs, and i know sarah maynard does a lot of fancy interior bits which look quite nice... But what about exhaust (my local dealer told me quicksilver but he wants a premium sum for it itseems), how about intake, ecu tune? Read up on bamford rose a bit they seem great but are in UK...although there are plans for doing work states side, and they can do mild to full upgraded rebuilds. However I was inquiring on some simple basic upgrades for now on a db9 v12, anyone here on this side of the pond, well I do suppose suppliers can ship world wide and that's fine too.

Am I missing anything? Or are the basic upgrades covered with what I've mentioned?

Thanks!

Last edited by sunir; 01-03-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
RSC has alot of good tuning bits, ECU, Exhaust, Air Intake, Cats, Stuart is ur man there.
Also heard of a company called Bamford Rose, but never really seen anything from them.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Marcos91 is on a distinguished road
My car is probably one of the most modified in the UK, certainly any more than any other I have seen.

I went from two angles - power and handling. And cosmetics too

Power - I have J1 air filters, 200 cell cats and a Quicksilver SuperSports back box. This combined to save 30kg. I had the ECU remapped to run on 98RON fuel (UK), sharpen throttle response and produce whatever power and torque could be liberated, not a great deal realistically, but a conservative 480bhp+ and far better delivery of it. I had the rev limit DROPPED though to save the risk of valve bounce. Nothing internal has been done at this time, but obviously will be by Bamford Rose very soon. Exhaust systems come from RSC, QS or Larini, all are light, all sound great, personal choice!

Handling - all at once I had Sports Pack wheels and Ti nuts, wheel spacers front and back, H&R progressive springs and a fast road geometry set-up. Later I had the DBS steering rack fitted along with some aluminium-belled Brembo GrandTurismo brakes with 6 piston calipers, they are incredible although there is little wrong with the standard ones unless you are really hammering them. This was all done in one place, the sadly-gone DMS where I had a holistic approach with everything done to complement everything else.

Cosmetically I have a DBS bonnet for extra cooling, a little weight reduction and a slight change in looks from a normal DB9. My chicken wire lower mesh grilles have been replaced with polished stainless steel mesh. All grilles were painted from dark grey to magnum silver, I had clear rear lights fitted and my matt finish main grille was polished. Interior wise, Sarah Maynard is designing me a bespoke set-up with engine turned aluminium panels to go with the anodised aluminium ***** and buttons. I will also have a bespoke ashtray cover, unique gearshift surround and her design of shift ****.

My 20" DBS wheels and P-Zeros are on their way from Sweden tomorrow so I'll get them fitted when the car is service by Bamford Rose at the end of the month. They're a similar design to Sports Pack wheels so the difference visually will be very little, they'll just give me a lot more rubber on the road and a better performance tyre!

My Volante is unique and I am sure will stay that way, can't see anyone else spending the time and money on theirs!

If you get a car with Sports Pack (not available on Volantes) you'll already have the steering rack, a braced chassis and some suspension and geo mods. With the manual box, it might be that all you need is an exhaust.

Hope that helps. I will be starting a thread when my engine comes out and is rebuilt in the next few weeks to 500-570bhp.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by Marcos91; 01-03-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Sounds Wicked Marcos bro! Please take some pics of your car and post it, would love to see how the car sits with the spacers/springs, check out the lovely interior and some of the other tasteful mods you've done!!!

Yes I believe mine is a sports pak...it's a right bit of kit with the wheels n all, I'm hoping it makes a nice difference to have the sport pak and the maual really making the car come alive!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ Sounds Wicked Marcos bro! Please take some pics of your car and post it, would love to see how the car sits with the spacers/springs, check out the lovely interior and some of the other tasteful mods you've done!!!
A few here. Unless you see it next to a standard DB9 you barely notice the difference - they're all fairly subtle, unless you know your Gaydon Astons well!

The only 'must have' for me is the sports exhaust really if you already have an SP manual. Lovely Graziano race-sourced unit.

Attached Images    

Last edited by Marcos91; 01-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
^^ WOW Marcos that car there looks absolutely incredible! LOVE the DBS bonnet what a nice touch!

Also did you have the sport wheels done in gunmetal on the inside of the wheels leaving the faces aluminium, if so that looks really good!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by sunir
Also did you have the sport wheels done in gunmetal on the inside of the wheels leaving the faces aluminium, if so that looks really good!
I did - if you got that from those pictures, good spot! The wheels came from a DB9 Le Mans edition and that's how they were from standard. I had them refurbished and kept the design, I really like it and will do the same with my new DBS wheels. They won't look so large, bright and shiny and it really saves on cleaning time

Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Marcos91
I did - if you got that from those pictures, good spot! The wheels came from a DB9 Le Mans edition and that's how they were from standard. I had them refurbished and kept the design, I really like it and will do the same with my new DBS wheels. They won't look so large, bright and shiny and it really saves on cleaning time
Yeti you have an impecable sense of style good sir! I like what you've done to the sport wheels. I've been studying the sport wheels and the factory finish which is why I was able to spot your modifications plus I have an eye for detail even from pics ! I was thinking of the same sort of treatements for the barrel & windows (in either light gray, dark gunmetal, or body match color - was the 3 ideas in my head) whilst leaving the faces the same bright color from the factory. I think this will give the wheel some good contrast and depth. By manipulating the shaddows and light absorption these changes will also give the wheel a larger appearance on the face. This along with the springs and spacers is looking like my first round of subtle yet effective modifications.