Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Figured Out New 2-piece Braking Solution ....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Hey Irish, no worries . Did not mean anything negative by it, just tying to get down to the real truth as any detective would lol.

I will investigate the Jaguararts bin to see what else is a direct swap. For now though this 2-piece solution should prove to be very useful. Perhaps Stu @ RSC can test fit a set as proof and provide a discounted package price for the 6speed forum members.

Come on Stu, make it happen

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
My .02 worth...

I was seeking braking solutions a couple of years back, after tracking my V8V and overheating the brakes after only a few laps.

I changed my front discs to 2 piece Brembos (as used on N24 V8V), after switching to Pagid Yellows and hi-temp brake fluid did not make enough difference. I also added brake ducts (another story - they didn't really fit or work well).

Despite all the above mods, the brakes, not the tires are still the limiting factor after a handful of hard laps. I mention this so that anyone thinking 2 piece rotors will make the car track ready, should think again.

Nor can I say these mods 'transformed' the way the car rode or handled, on track or off. Perhaps my butt-ometer was not sensitive enough.

They looked cool, I suppose...

Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spinecho
My .02 worth...

I was seeking braking solutions a couple of years back, after tracking my V8V and overheating the brakes after only a few laps.

I changed my front discs to 2 piece Brembos (as used on N24 V8V), after switching to Pagid Yellows and hi-temp brake fluid did not make enough difference. I also added brake ducts (another story - they didn't really fit or work well).

Despite all the above mods, the brakes, not the tires are still the limiting factor after a handful of hard laps. I mention this so that anyone thinking 2 piece rotors will make the car track ready, should think again.

Nor can I say these mods 'transformed' the way the car rode or handled, on track or off. Perhaps my butt-ometer was not sensitive enough.

They looked cool, I suppose...
They do loo pretty cool ..Are they really brembo's?? Always thought they were StopTech or EBC..etc ..something on those lines because of there look, didn't think they were brembo rotors

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Yep, Brembo race rotors.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Okay guys this thread is getting pretty confusing ...

I just bought a 2007 AM DB9 sport package w/ 6MTover the weekend (full thread and pics coming at some point here in the coming weeks, drove her over 1200 miles back home - Epic Journey, Jeremy Clarkson would have been proud of my bug spattered DB9, she drove quite well!)

anyways I think I need to replace brake pads all around and rotors on the rear...

What rotors should I get, just want a simple and cost effective replacement...anyone got the PN for the Jag part equivalent?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
Okay guys this thread is getting pretty confusing ...

I just bought a 2007 AM DB9 sport package w/ 6MTover the weekend (full thread and pics coming at some point here in the coming weeks, drove her over 1200 miles back home - Epic Journey, Jeremy Clarkson would have been proud of my bug spattered DB9, she drove quite well!)

anyways I think I need to replace brake pads all around and rotors on the rear...

What rotors should I get, just want a simple and cost effective replacement...anyone got the PN for the Jag part equivalent?
This is my take, everyone will have there own opinion..

If you have no real need for track racing or fighting brake fade..the OEM parts from Aston Martin are your best bet...when you start going aftermarket racing series parts, compounds are more aggressive which result into noise..squeaking noises are not a concern in racing from the brake pads unless worn out..

When I was refering to the XKR rotors..it was not for the OEM parts..but rather the "idea" of fitting aftermarket 2-piece discs from a XKR...

As "spinecho" has stated from his own hard testing..just upgrading the stock rotors and pads to something of the same size did not notice any real improvement ..the solution to this is either upgrade to larger discs and pads (G.T Brembo Series Complete kit)..or buy a V12 Vantage with CF Brakes all around ..POWER!!

If I was in your shoes..I'd pick up the originals and call it a day..parts are garanteed for a year if installed by a dealer..when squeaking gets loud..return for a fix under the year garantee at the dealer..

Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
^^ as he says, but I would add, if you want to track the car hard: PROPER brake cooling. All race cars have it, for a good reason! With really good cooling, you probably wouldn't even need different discs.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I already have a proper race car a purpose built race car which I have campaigned in the past...and now use whist instructing students at track days. I have been working with the PCA. MBCA, BMW and several car clubs here and a the local East coast Circuits, Watkins Glen, VIR, SPR, etc..etc...

the DB9 is a GT car, I want to use it as a GT car and enjoy it as a cruiser, and grand Tourer... it does a great for that.

here are some pics...

my race car in front of the transporter (it's 1 or 85 ever built E36 M3 CSL - or in the US called Lightweight M3 or M3LTW) Mine was built by Pete Stackhouse at TC Kline racing in conjunction with Ian Harding out of England who had done a lot of BTCC touring car chassis and fabrication):

My DB9 (more pics coming, I have to get a proper photo shoot done...and do a a proper write up in the 1200 mile journey from the dealership back home! ....more to come on this later, planning on doing a new thread on the forum with all the details and really nice pics.)

Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
gsrjc will become famous soon enough

Looks sweet dude... i'm glad you made it back safely. too bad we couldn't meet up when I was down there when you picked up the car.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM
^^^ Thanks bud! No worries bro we can meet up back at home...are you heading to maple lawn this weekend? I have to get MD inspec done etc..etc..already paid the taxes and reg filing at the dealer...

you should hang on top your sweet Vertigo v8v that is one awesome car

Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Doing some more research, just contacted them to see what the exact weight specs are on the Ford GT fronts compared to stock OEM V8V Fronts. As a reference point, the V8V 2-piece rears. The rears shaved off a massive 9lbs each and weigh only 13lbs compared to the OEM rears (22lbs). I am hoping the weight reduction will be at least 5.0lbs or greater in order to really be worth while. There are other 2-piece manufacturers out there other than brembo, but their weight reductions are less than half of what brembo does (can't beat their R&D).

I am hoping similar type gains can be had for the fronts as well. In theory it should of course help braking, but also turn-in response should be better, and shock absorption should be greatly improved (which is actually one of the main reasons I would be doing it, the wheels & tires follow the road surface much better with the lightweight rotors IMO).

Also, I will be performing high performance brake fluid flush in conjunction with this modifications (as well as the Carbotech pads of course). Having recently upgraded my AMG with JUST high performance brake fluid, the entire braking feel has improved massively. I used superblue/ATE 200, however for the Aston I would probably go with a full Motul 600 (superblue dye can stain the system which is why many recommend against it, Type200 is superblue without the staining dye). The lower compressibility of high performance braking fluid greatly improves pedal feedback and drastically reduces fade under high performance driving.

For those who haven't haven't ever replaced your brake fluid, I HIGHLY recommend doing so with a high performance fluid that has much higher dry/wet boiling points than stock. It will make a vast improvement in pedal feedback all on its own.

Will update soon, Hope that helps,

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 03-14-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey guys,

found out more weight specs:

Bell – 1.43 lbs.
Disc – 18.45 lbs.
Hardware – Approx .5 lbs
Total weight approx. 20.38 lbs.

Not sure about the stock front rotor weights, but if it weighs 28lbs which is what some have stated, then that's roughly 7-8lbs of mass reduction for the fronts as well. Not as good as 9lbs for rears but it still on par for substantial improvements.

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 03-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Hey guys,

found out more weight specs:

Bell – 1.43 lbs.
Disc – 18.45 lbs.
Hardware – Approx .5 lbs
Total weight approx. 20.38 lbs.

Not sure about the stock front rotor weights, but if it weighs 28lbs which is what some have stated, then that's roughly 7-8lbs of mass reduction for the fronts as well. Not as good as 9lbs for rears but it still on par for substantial improvements.
although 7 lbs of unsprung weight is significant I dunno that it will provide so much of a difference for gain when compared to price delta on a street car. I don't think that if you did a back to back test you would see so much improvement on a street car with 2 peice rotors vs 1 piece rotors if the weight savings say under 10 lbs a corner for unsprung mass. Now if you went to carbon brakes that's a whole nother story (the PCCB rotors on my Porsche GT2 are litterally pinky heavy lol! )

Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I don't think that if you did a back to back test you would see so much improvement on a street car with 2 peice rotors vs 1 piece rotors if the weight savings say under 10 lbs a corner for unsprung mass.
Yes, but 2-piece rotors look so much cooler

Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 AM
7 pounds makes a massive difference in both handling, and ride quality, it also will improve braking & accel as well.

You have to feel 2piece rotors to believe the difference. I can assure you they are worth every penny IMO (especially if you need to replace your brakes anyways.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Figured Out New 2-piece Braking Solution ....