Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM V8 Vantage vs DB9 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM
MamoVaka is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Not to be pedantic, but the Touchtronic gearbox option on the DB9 is not an automated manual. It is an automatic (torque converter) gearbox referred by some as a "manu-matic" because of the addition of paddle switches to mimic an automated manual.

Congrats on your purchase.
That is PRECISELY why the car is. After suited for daily driving, it also is one less pain in the *** maintenance item if you plan to put 100k miles on these cars.

There is no clutch to worry about and the auto mode shifts wonderfully. However when in manual mode it's only a bit slower when using the paddles as far as shift time. It's a brilliant design and it makes all the difference when choosing this car over other cars. I believe the continental GT also goes this route. It's basically an automatic with the ability to mimick a f1 system excited without the clutch bs.

It's one of the big reasons this car wins out over the vantage as a dd/cruiser and it suits the car perfectly.

Yesterdy I took this and the Ferrari out back to back (the Ferrari has an upgraded TCU and slotted Kevlar clutch) so it shifts fast and hard. Which thrilling.. The db9 gives you 80% of that experience with the addition of smooth as hell auto mode and NO bothersome/expensive clutch changes.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MamoVaka
. . . the Ferrari has an upgraded TCU and slotted Kevlar clutch so it shifts fast and hard.
So your 360 shifts more crisply after those mods? I ask b/c a 360 I recently drove shifted rather lazily.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM
MamoVaka is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Racer_X
So your 360 shifts more crisply after those mods? I ask b/c a 360 I recently drove shifted rather lazily.

they aren't mods per se, well the kevlar is a suppose.. the kevlar shifts harder because the material is more "grabby" the upgraded software you can manually set it to shift harder with a computer and I set it as agressive as possible..

you can buy a CS TCU for the 360 which makes it shift even faster.. but mine is fast enough now as it is..

Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
I choose the DB9 as my daily driver. Some days my drive is 40 miles and some days its 400 miles.

Backseats are useless, unless to hold my briefcase and my girlfriend's purse. For fun, I did climb back there. I'm about 215lbs and 6'4", NOT somewhere you ever want to be for more then 30 seconds. Had to have my friend help pull me out.

Otherwise I love it. The ride, the room that it has, the sounds the v12 makes. Never have regretted buying the DB9.