Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What accessories/books/manuals should be in my brand new DB9?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
What accessories/books/manuals should be in my brand new DB9?

About a month ago I bought a literally brand new 2010 DB9. When I picked the car up it had 58 miles on the odo. Because the dealer (Aston Martin of DC) had given up their dealership around September 2011 the few AMs they had left in inventory had their warranties started. Mine started on October 1st. Being my first AM, I thought this a pretty safe bet since it was literally a new car even though it had been sitting for ~1.5 years.

I will say this. The car is beautiful and as you would expect, in fantastic shape! The dealer on the other hand must have gotten rid of anyone who knew anything about AMs......

When I showed up to pick the car up with a trailer I noticed right off, it didn't have the sport wheels that were pictured in EVERY add I'd seen of the car. I asked for pictures the first day I talked to them and they sent me the exact same pictures of the car I'd already seen in all their ads and on their website.

As I've been reading on some of the forums, there are things that people mention in passing that were included in the car; like the battery conditioner. From what I've read, it's standard in a DB9 and an option on a V8V. True? False? Mine doesn't have one........

Also, there was an umbrella pictured in the trunk that didin't come with the car. Should there be one there?

I'm sure whomever got my sport wheels (they were swapped to another new DB9 that didn't have the sport package) also got the titanium lug nuts too!

The air compressor is in the trunk.

When I open up the compartment to the left side in the trunk, there are jack parts and what looks like a tow hook in a black formed styro something with clear plastic shrunk wrapped around it and there is a loose piece of the same form fitted styro junk with nothing in it.... Should there be a jack somewhere? Any other parts or tools that should be there?

On 6-speed cars, there is a pen in the forth hole on the lower edge of the console. It too is of course missing.......

The owner's manual is missing but, they supposedly have it for me. What should be included with the manual?

At this point I'm thinking b/c they either don't know or are hoping I don't find out if anything else should be with it and with the other parts that are missing in hopes they won't have to replace the missing stuff.....

Can anyone give me a difinitive list of what should be with a new AM DB9?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I heard some questionable comments about am Tysons corner in the past. Now they are re- launching under a boutique operation close by under new ownership, and with a new relationship with am apparently. I saw your car fs in the ads and all the pics had the sport wheels, umbrella etc like you indicated. As for what should come w the car, the umbrella I think was an option, u can always order that separate, the compressor thingy should be in the trunk, definately should have an owners manual.... Mine came with a form fitted very nice AM factory car cover also, but I think that was part of the cars original bespoked order list... So don't think that comes with it. As for the charger don't worry about getting an am one, just get a cteck 4300 same thing just re-branded... A 3300 is fine also from what I've been told. As for your sports wheels and titanium lugs I dunno why the dealer would swap them, these parts are part of an options package specific to the vehicle. No worries though you can always buy them and put them on the car and use your current set as a back up.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
...As for your sports wheels and titanium lugs I dunno why the dealer would swap them, these parts are part of an options package specific to the vehicle. No worries though you can always buy them and put them on the car and use your current set as a back up.
Seems he thinks he already bought them but the dealer chose not to agree. I'd be PO'd big time.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LRDog
As I've been reading on some of the forums, there are things that people mention in passing that were included in the car; like the battery conditioner. From what I've read, it's standard in a DB9 and an option on a V8V. True? False? Mine doesn't have one........?
Battery conditioners come with all DB9s. They lost yours probably. When I go into the local AM dealer, all the cars on the floor have their battery conditioners in use. You can imagine those going missing real easy. If you have to buy one yourself, get a CTEK, which is the same as the AM unit, just $100s of dollars less.

Also, there was an umbrella pictured in the trunk that didin't come with the car. Should there be one there??
Only if it was ordered with one from the factory...have any dealer check the build sheet. That will tell you if the umbrella should be there.

The air compressor is in the trunk.

When I open up the compartment to the left side in the trunk, there are jack parts and what looks like a tow hook in a black formed styro something with clear plastic shrunk wrapped around it and there is a loose piece of the same form fitted styro junk with nothing in it.... Should there be a jack somewhere? Any other parts or tools that should be there??
You should have one styro package with the plastic shrink wrap, that's all. There is no jack cause you've got not spare.

On 6-speed cars, there is a pen in the forth hole on the lower edge of the console. It too is of course missing.......?
Can't help you here...do know nuthin' about no pen.

The owner's manual is missing but, they supposedly have it for me. What should be included with the manual? ?
Just the manual. And make sure you get it, because a replacement is another big dollar item.

At this point I'm thinking b/c they either don't know or are hoping I don't find out if anything else should be with it and with the other parts that are missing in hopes they won't have to replace the missing stuff.....

Can anyone give me a difinitive list of what should be with a new AM DB9?
Got all your keys? You should have one sapphire ECU and one 'valet' ECU, and an emergency key.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Battery conditioners come with all DB9s. They lost yours probably. When I go into the local AM dealer, all the cars on the floor have their battery conditioners in use. You can imagine those going missing real easy. If you have to buy one yourself, get a CTEK, which is the same as the AM unit, just $100s of dollars less.
I have no doubt that is exactly what happened to the one in my car. I have already ordered the Ctek unit.

Only if it was ordered with one from the factory...have any dealer check the build sheet. That will tell you if the umbrella should be there.
It isn't on the build sheet but, for the same reasons I'm pi$$ed about the wheels, I am about the umbrella. Like the wheels, it too was in ALL the pics of the car.....

You should have one styro package with the plastic shrink wrap, that's all. There is no jack cause you've got not spare.
Thanks on this one. That makes me feel better.....

Can't help you here...do know nuthin' about no pen.
In automatic DB9s it's where the "sport" button is located but since there is no "sport" button in a manual trans car there is a pen in that spot. More later on this one.....

Just the manual. And make sure you get it, because a replacement is another big dollar item.
At this point, I'm half expecting a photocopy of "a" DB9 manual (maybe not even from 2010 MY...) instead of the nice leather cased ones I've seen on eBay. Nothing would surprise me at this point!

Got all your keys? You should have one sapphire ECU and one 'valet' ECU, and an emergency key.
I actually do have all the keys! Even the packaging they originally came in....

As for the wheels, which is the largest missing part (both in size and cost), I've looked into getting a set from AM but I don't love them more than say an HRE or ADV or many other wheel builders product.... I'm just a stickler for originality.

What blows my mind is that none of these geniuses knew (or was willing to admit) the wheels had been replaced!!!!!

Think I'll get a "survey" from these jokers?????? I"m going to call the GM and ask to be included!

Last edited by LRDog; 03-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Although I've never personally dealt with AM of Tysons I have heard a great deal of negaitive things about them, which is why I would not deal with them even though they were/are the closest AM dealer to me. I really hope things are better under new ownership with Penski group I believe, relocating accross the street in an exclusive boutique like establishment. All of this is in reference to new and used AM auto sales, not service or parts.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Don't know about the law over there, but if something that is sold is not as advertised, then you must have some rights?

The titanium lug nuts are about $750, so a refund for at least that amount must be available. I'd guess they sold the sports wheels to someone and are now denying knowledge of the sale, feels like you should be entitled to whatever they made + some compensation.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I agree, sounds a bit like a bait and switch.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
First off, congrats on a new car!

Sorry to read about all of the missing items from your DB9...that sucks. Things like that would drive me crazy; I probably would have refused delivery of the car. The wheels alone would have been dealbreaker for me as they make the look of the car. They sell for approx $4k....

If I were you, I would reach out to AM corporate and write them a scathing letter. This kind of service is unacceptable of a marque at this pricepoint, especially when purchasing a new car! I have read that are quite helpful in situations like these.

Good luck..

Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by chirag
First off, congrats on a new car!

Sorry to read about all of the missing items from your DB9...that sucks. Things like that would drive me crazy; I probably would have refused delivery of the car. The wheels alone would have been dealbreaker for me as they make the look of the car. They sell for approx $4k....

If I were you, I would reach out to AM corporate and write them a scathing letter. This kind of service is unacceptable of a marque at this pricepoint, especially when purchasing a new car! I have read that are quite helpful in situations like these.

Good luck..
Thanks. Been eating away at me since..... I seriously thought about driving off but, I'd just driven 300+ miles to pick it up only to discover it had the wrong wheels. The guys at the dealership were like "what......., those are the right wheels" I said, "you need to look at YOUR WEBSITE to see the correct wheels AND the wheels I thought were on the car!!!! This is also the reason I ALWAYS ask for current pictures that will point issues like this out b/f they are a problem b/c I have found (not just in automobile sales) that people basically just don't give a sh!te and muttle aimlessly through their day! I also think they were counting on me not wanting to leave w/o the car in spite of the wheels. To non-enthusiast car dealers/sales people wheels are wheels...... It had wheels so what's the big deal??? Ultimately, I rationalized it in my mind with; I got a really good deal....... and, I would prolly change out any wheel that was on the car for something different anyway even if it had the sport wheel.....

I guess it also speaks to their integrity to the marque since they were willing to bastardize one car to sell another...... Kinda the way the entire transaction went.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Chirag and LRdog.... This dealership severed their relationship with aston Martin ltd long prior to the purchase of this car from my understanding.... Hence the lack of support and bad experience perhaps... This should not be imposed or reflected on the marque, rather the dealer and this specific transaction. The are/were liquidating inventory... There is a reason why you got such a good deal and the car sat for over a year without a sale on it... They did not survive... They could not sell cars, it's all quite simple. That's why they perished, and you got a car on fire sale. I only hope the new dealership under new ownership does a better job. I wouldnt flame Aston for your experience.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Question...Do you not have the window sticker for the car?? If yes I would ask for every item that is on it....umbrella, sport wheels whatever! My car also had the pen missing and it took about 2 months to get one sent from the UK....but I got it! But I say that everything that is on the window sticker PLUS the emergency stuff such as air compressor/flat kit, battery conditioner and the like should absolutely be provided if it is not present and accounted for.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Swoody
Question...Do you not have the window sticker for the car?? If yes I would ask for every item that is on it....umbrella, sport wheels whatever! My car also had the pen missing and it took about 2 months to get one sent from the UK....but I got it! But I say that everything that is on the window sticker PLUS the emergency stuff such as air compressor/flat kit, battery conditioner and the like should absolutely be provided if it is not present and accounted for.
Again this dealership was done. It was liquidating it's cars that it couldn't sell they were all sold as used cars and sold "as is". That is what happens in a fire sale you get what you get...this dealer was not successful in business and is closed down, they are simply pushing all inventory out the door as used "as is" condition cars since Aston has not given them new model year cars (old cars, newer cars etc... even if the cars have low miles and have sat for a couple of years) out the door which is why the deals are there.... Even though some of these cars are very low miles they are still sold as used inventory and "as is" .... They are not selling them for their sticker prices they are blowing them out at deal prices to fire sale and close up, they are not brand new cars they are low mile used cars which have been sitting and unfortunately in this case some parts are missing (personally i wouldnt be so upset, you got a great car for a great price, it was sold "as is" so its missing a few things you can get those back or use different parts... Look on the bright side you didn't pay new car price but you got a practically new car, I personally would not let it bother me so much... It's a used car at the end of the day it's old dealer inventory.... no they are not backed or supported by Aston at that point. Your car is absolutely gorgeous, it's a rare manual 6 speed with a fantastic color combo and very few miles and you got a great deal I would be happy with that... You got an excellent car, basically a like new car at a used car price... Even with a few things missing you came out way on top at the end of the day

Last edited by sunir; 03-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Chirag and LRdog.... This dealership severed their relationship with aston Martin ltd long prior to the purchase of this car from my understanding.... Hence the lack of support and bad experience perhaps... This should not be imposed or reflected on the marque, rather the dealer and this specific transaction. The are/were liquidating inventory... There is a reason why you got such a good deal and the car sat for over a year without a sale on it... They did not survive... They could not sell cars, it's all quite simple. That's why they perished, and you got a car on fire sale. I only hope the new dealership under new ownership does a better job. I wouldnt flame Aston for your experience.
Was I flaming AM? Don't think so..... My ire IS directed at the dealership. The car was NOT as advertised........

Last edited by LRDog; 03-06-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Again this dealership was done. It was liquidating it's cars that it couldn't sell they were all sold as used cars and sold "as is". That is what happens in a fire sale you get what you get...this dealer was not successful in business and is closed down, they are simply pushing all inventory out the door as used "as is" condition cars since Aston has not given them new model year cars (old cars, newer cars etc... even if the cars have low miles and have sat for a couple of years) out the door which is why the deals are there.... Even though some of these cars are very low miles they are still sold as used inventory and "as is" .... They are not selling them for their sticker prices they are blowing them out at deal prices to fire sale and close up, they are not brand new cars they are low mile used cars which have been sitting and unfortunately in this case some parts are missing (personally i wouldnt be so upset, you got a great car for a great price, it was sold "as is" so its missing a few things you can get those back or use different parts... Look on the bright side you didn't pay new car price but you got a practically new car, I personally would not let it bother me so much... It's a used car at the end of the day it's old dealer inventory.... no they are not backed or supported by Aston at that point. Your car is absolutely gorgeous, it's a rare manual 6 speed with a fantastic color combo and very few miles and you got a great deal I would be happy with that... You got an excellent car, basically a like new car at a used car price... Even with a few things missing you came out way on top at the end of the day

Dude, WTF is up with the scolding here????? First, I don't know who you talked to BUT, the car was NOT advertised or sold "as-is"!!!!! I have a copy of ALL the ads....... Second, had I known prior to getting to the dealership it didn't have the wheels IT WAS ADVERTISED ( read the PICTURES!!!!!) WITH I wouldn't be upset!!!!!!!

Not sure where you get off with this "new tude" regarding my situation but it is NOT appreciated!!!!!

Last edited by LRDog; 03-06-2012 at 06:45 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What accessories/books/manuals should be in my brand new DB9?