Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage engine stalling !!!???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If there is no MIL light and you have random stalling that cannot be duplicated at any given time and all is clean..I would really shoot to believe the misfire corrections are not stored. If the battery goes dead and say the "keep alive memory" is lost, or clutch was repalced and shop did not do the relearn, misfire corrections coudl be lost or wrong ones are still stored from previous clutch assembly.. Misfire Corrections are the adaptations for the trigger wheel (36-1 which is the flywheel in the V8V's case) and the CID sensor(cam phase sensor 1 per head on V8V)..when these are not set, engine is not 100% certain in firing/idling/drivability..and if I remember right..with corrections not stored fuel is cut when throttle is lifted at around 70mph.
So say your on the highway cruising at 70mph and lift throttle and don't apply the brakes to a stop(so coast to the stop) ..fuel pressure would be cut in default and can provoke a stall for wheels are not turning at a stop to keep engine going.. so a stall is forced. This proedure is done for the PCM is trying to learn it's adaptations, untill they are learnt, odd things like this can ocur..
Again..codes should be scanned for at the dealer and if none are present, misfire corrections would then be checked to see if there stored..if there not stored..36-1 drive cycle would need to be preformed.
Sry can't be of much more help than this untill the vehicle is scanned..otherwise anything is possible

Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 PM
ewu64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by irish07
If there is no MIL light and you have random stalling that cannot be duplicated at any given time and all is clean..I would really shoot to believe the misfire corrections are not stored. If the battery goes dead and say the "keep alive memory" is lost, or clutch was repalced and shop did not do the relearn, misfire corrections coudl be lost or wrong ones are still stored from previous clutch assembly.. Misfire Corrections are the adaptations for the trigger wheel (36-1 which is the flywheel in the V8V's case) and the CID sensor(cam phase sensor 1 per head on V8V)..when these are not set, engine is not 100% certain in firing/idling/drivability..and if I remember right..with corrections not stored fuel is cut when throttle is lifted at around 70mph.
So say your on the highway cruising at 70mph and lift throttle and don't apply the brakes to a stop(so coast to the stop) ..fuel pressure would be cut in default and can provoke a stall for wheels are not turning at a stop to keep engine going.. so a stall is forced. This proedure is done for the PCM is trying to learn it's adaptations, untill they are learnt, odd things like this can ocur..
Again..codes should be scanned for at the dealer and if none are present, misfire corrections would then be checked to see if there stored..if there not stored..36-1 drive cycle would need to be preformed.
Sry can't be of much more help than this untill the vehicle is scanned..otherwise anything is possible
Thank you very much, irish07 for your help. But, by reading all the threads about Vantages stalling, suddenly losing power at speeds, and some other related issues. There are a lot of us that have taken our cars thru extensive diagnostics, quasi-fixes, MRIs, X-Rays, and probably sprinkling holy water on the car too!!! What it is surprising to me that this situation is very common. I have been reding other blogs and sites and Vantages are very suceptible to this kind of problems. More surprising to me is that Aston Martin has had 6 years to fix this problem and they haven't come up with anything... And this is a problem that is very serious !!!! It's damn right dangerous !!! As I said before, one time the car decided to stall taking a corner in a busy intersection. For AM engineers not to put attention to this, it could be a public relations disaster as one day, God forbids, somebody might get hurt.

"Selling an Aston Martin Vantage V8 Meteorite Grey / Black interior with only 6700 mls. Excellent condition! No issues! Almost brand new! Best example on sale" !!!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
So my 09 Vantage has never stalled, but it has gotten close to stalling. I noticed that when warming up my car, or when it is sitting idle at a light, sometimes the RPMs get really low (like under 1K). In both cases, the car is in neutral. At that point, it feels as if the car is about to stall but then suddenly it is as if the car itself hits the accelerator to get the RPMS back up above 1K. I find it really odd. It's like the car is programed to give itself some gas to prevent a stall without me doing a thing. When the car gives itself hits the accelerator, the RPMs jump up to around 1.5K or 2K and then comes back down to around 1K

Anyone else notice the same thing?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by macksamus
So my 09 Vantage has never stalled, but it has gotten close to stalling. I noticed that when warming up my car, or when it is sitting idle at a light, sometimes the RPMs get really low (like under 1K). In both cases, the car is in neutral. At that point, it feels as if the car is about to stall but then suddenly it is as if the car itself hits the accelerator to get the RPMS back up above 1K. I find it really odd. It's like the car is programed to give itself some gas to prevent a stall without me doing a thing. When the car gives itself hits the accelerator, the RPMs jump up to around 1.5K or 2K and then comes back down to around 1K

Anyone else notice the same thing?
Yes. I'm sure irish07 can explain it better than I, but it has to do with venting unburnt fuel vapor back into the gas tank. It is normal from what I've been told.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:07 AM
khalid is on a distinguished road
well i actually has this problem its goes away for some time and just comes back suddenly i had this problem my 07 vantage sport shift heat up the car let it warm up a bit drive away all good after 20 or 30 min of driving i go into a slow moving street my foot on the brake gear is on first slowly crawling then when the street stops my foot is still on brake and 1 st and i am idle the rev goes up slight the car jitter then shuts off i had to go on N and start it again work ok its happens also sometime when on N and i am stopped suddenly the the RPM goes little up and down then the car shuts off . the problem just went away on its own then reappeared months later a couple of times still didn't figure out whats the problem and the maximum service the dealer here can offer is oil change i doubt they will be able to figure it out

Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
lase is on a distinguished road
Just curious???

I have an 09 Vantage V8. It has this stalling problem. Probably, once or twice a year. But, a lot more often since I had a new program installed in the car. I'm thinking of putting it back to stock.

How many of you had the ECU reprogrammed and the problem started? Or became a lot worst once reprogrammed?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If your driving a v8v ASM car and with ur foot on the brake, rpm's starts to rise and car stalls...brake switch sounds faulty or intermitant fault at times..

Car thinks it needs to move forward due to it"s crawl mode..so it tries, but the brakes are applied and the switch doesn"t see it..car stalls cause the rpms rise and the clutch engages but no forward motion...stalls

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by irish07
If your driving a v8v ASM car and with ur foot on the brake, rpm's starts to rise and car stalls...brake switch sounds faulty or intermitant fault at times..

Car thinks it needs to move forward due to it"s crawl mode..so it tries, but the brakes are applied and the switch doesn"t see it..car stalls cause the rpms rise and the clutch engages but no forward motion...stalls
Mine is 6 speed.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by lase
Mine is 6 speed.
What ECU mod did you install? Custom? Off the shelf?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Aston Curious
What ECU mod did you install? Custom? Off the shelf?
Custom. they took mine. Returned the next day. Then uploaded to the car.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM
vonFerro is on a distinguished road
Just curious if anyone had any resolution to this? Experiencing the same thing, curious if anyone was able to run the re-learn routine successfully. Had my ECU remapped and I'm getting what I'm told are likely misfires all over the place, sudden losses of power erratically, occasional stalling coming to a stop...

Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i haven't had a chance to get my car checked out (i'm 2+ hours from the closest dealer), but i'm thinking mine has to do with the line in the fuel tank. so long as i keep the fuel level below half-tank, i have never had a problem with the engine stalling (knock on wood). but if i fill it more than half-tank, i get the stalling issue. might be coincidence but, if it is, it's a hell of a coincidence.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by telum01
i haven't had a chance to get my car checked out (i'm 2+ hours from the closest dealer), but i'm thinking mine has to do with the line in the fuel tank. so long as i keep the fuel level below half-tank, i have never had a problem with the engine stalling (knock on wood). but if i fill it more than half-tank, i get the stalling issue. might be coincidence but, if it is, it's a hell of a coincidence.
Yep, tank idea if dead on..thoses small hoses sound like there a gonner!

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
AST_X is on a distinguished road
=O my 2012 v8v stalled twice on me already... only have 1700 km on it.....

Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Wow this is concerning. Is this a vantage v8 issue only? It's never happened with my DB, the v12 has not stalled. I can tell you that I prefer shell and use it when I can, no problems. My fav fuel is sonoco, chevron, and shell then citgo & bp tied for 4th in that order. I use these fuels almost exclusively in all my cars, past and current including my v12 Aston. No stalling issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage engine stalling !!!???