Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 to Fiat 500...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
OC Brit is on a distinguished road
DB9 to Fiat 500...?

I’ve moved from Orange County to San Francisco, and I just don’t have room for the Aston. I did give it a solid try it but I put more wear and tear on the car in 18 minutes than I had in the previous 18 months. The hills and potholes of San Francisco are a harsher environment than the car parks outside The Montage or Javiers.

So sad. I found a photo album yesterday where I had put all my cars in the order that I owned them; I had left a few blank pages between the Elise I owned at the time and my distant dream of a DB9. It never occurred to me that I would actually own one.

So, city car here we come! Tricked-out Fiat 500 Arbarth is looking promising right now. I rented one in Tuscany last year, and it was a riot.

BTW, I’ll be taking the 200 cell cats off the DB9, if anyone’s interested. I will sooo miss that exhaust note.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about

Funny transition. But hey think of all the money you'll save on fuel/maint etc. You can probably pay off that Fiat in 2-3 years based on those cost!

Post pics of that car, seems like a cool concept.

Edit:

Err, why not downsize for a cheaper/smaller V8 Vantage? Or maybe even a base 997 911?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
dehnert is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CJPatel

Funny transition. But hey think of all the money you'll save on fuel/maint etc. You can probably pay off that Fiat in 2-3 years based on those cost!

Post pics of that car, seems like a cool concept.

Edit:

Err, why not downsize for a cheaper/smaller V8 Vantage? Or maybe even a base 997 911?
San Francisco roads are not very exotic car friendly. When I had my 355 it scraped all over the place. If your going to live in SF it will benefit your sanity to have something that is small, maneuverable, and good on gas. Having said that most folks I know that live and work in SF just use public transit. If you have the garage space, keeping the Vantage, or something similar for trips out of SF would be nice.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I 'trust" you are talking the Abarth version?? Nice and nippy... Not soo cheap but cute as a bug in a rug.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I recently had my V8V in for service & rented a Fiat 500 to get home... I really liked that car even with an auto trans. The other choice would have to be the Mini Cooper S.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I couldn't imagine driving a DB9 in SF. Hell, I don't like driving in SF period. Sucks you've gotta lose it but at least you have a fun replacement in mind!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
I have to say my most recent “small” car obsession is the Range Rover Evoque. The 2-door in Black is sex on wheels. One of the best looking cars on the roads right now.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Get the fiat 500 abarth chick from the comercial... VAvava vroom! Never forget the first time you see one!

So what's the story on the exhaust bit there your planning to sell? I've a db9 and would love to hear a clip of your setup....

Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Here's a link. Recorded on poor equipment and played back on laptop speakers it obviously doesn't give quite the experience, but i'll go out this afternoon and get another one.

Highly recommend the cats. Drops the pitch an octave or two, very deep rumble, and a very crisp clean roar under load. I accelerated past a cop once with my foot flat to the floor, and he pulled up alongside me at the next light and said "Sir, I just want you to know that"s the most awesome sound I've ever heard a car make; enjoy the car, enjoy the day".

Old 03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ sounds mean... but not looking for deep or thraoty or bassey.... I'm looking for a more exotic car like.. high pitch raspy sound similar to stock but a bit more raspier, louder, and higher pitch... think my DB9 coupe w sport pack sounds great on start-up just looking to perfect that sound tuning it slightly, if possible

any ideas?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
I like the sound. I would be interested in the cats. When are you going to sell them? Send me a PM if you like.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Sunir, to me the Aston V12's have a deeper roar than many exotics. The 200 cell cats give very deep rumble at idle but also let through a hi-fidelity crispness at higher revs. You almost feel that you can hear each individual explosion.

Stuart RSC is Da Man on this, but i dont think you're going get this to sound like a Carrera GT, Ferrari, or even a Maser. Drove the latter the other day, and it screamed. Made me laugh out loud.

Last edited by OC Brit; 03-14-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Appalling quality, sorry, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKCWD...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Wow Rob very nice vid clips, thanks for sharing....your DB9 sounds really very nice!!!

I heard the larani exhaust has more of a high pitch raspier note... any idea on that one?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Sunir,

If you’ll pay for the shipping I’ll send the cats to you so you can try them out. They simply bolt in place, there’s no welding. If you don’t like the sound then take them off again and send them back; if you do like them then send me $1500.

Let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 to Fiat 500...?