Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

07' Aston Martin V8 Vantage Oxygen sensors, Emission fault codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Doc Martin is on a distinguished road
07' Aston Martin V8 Vantage Oxygen sensors, Emission fault codes

I have a 2007 V8 Vantage that loves to "eat" upstream O2 sensors. It might be just that it gets a lot of use but at $200USD a sensor from the dealership, it is a bit annoying. I've replaced 2 in the past. I'm just about to clock 40,000 miles. When I read the codes and then clear the codes with my code scanning tool. It tells me that bank 1, sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 are reading slowly. I wonder if this is related to ethanol in the fuel or just from regular use. This is the upsteam pre-cat sensor. Does anybody know if there is a Bosch aftermarket sensor for use in the V8 Vantage. I need a plug and play sensor, not one of those aftermarket splice-it-yourself ones. After 2 hours of google-ing I'm turning up nothing..
Many thanks!

Also, I'll have to replace front and rear brake rotors as they give me a lot of fade now and feel wavy. I have cut them once in the past as I own a brake lathe. Anyone got a rotor suggestion or know if there are alternatives to buying OEM ones from the dealer at $600 a pair?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Can't help u on the O2 sensors (I've only seen the 'spliced' ones myself) but you can save abt 40% on the rotors if u buy from one of the UK dealers (HWM, Aston Parts, Aston Bits). In my experience, calling directly can sometimes get u a better deal than paying their online asking price ...

Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
That is a great tip on the rotors. I might as well see what they get for the sensors too. I've bought all the parts for my vintage DB6 from across the pond but didn't consider doing so for the vantage.

As far as the sensors go, I did turn up some NTK (NGK) O2 sensors. For the V8 Vantage the part # they show is OZA488-AM1 about $100USD for the UK at http://www.lambdasensor.co.uk/main/n...tem=OZA488-AM1

Old 04-18-2012, 11:52 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Get the Brembo rear rotors, they shave roughly 18lbs of rotational unsprung mass (that's a ton). It's more expensive, but they are far less likely to warp. Also check your fluid, that's usually the #1 cause of brake fade. I recommend a castrol SRF or ATE type200. Motul 600 is also another option but it needs to be replaced if ever boiled over once

Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
. . . my vintage DB6 . . .
How about some pics?!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
How about some pics?!
Yes. Yes, this would be the right thing to do.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
FWIW... from my conversations with a lot of Aston owners, it seems that they all (but the V8 Vantage in particular) seems to "eat" O2 sensors.

I have my own theories about why, which are just conjecture based on what I know about the cars and what I'm seeing/hearing from owners (and in fairness, I do speak to a lot of you guys!) The secondaries are subjected to some pretty torturous conditions, sandwiched as they are between Primary & Secondary catalyts, there is a huge amount of heat generated there and I suspect that this is shortening the life of these.

The primaries I believe are more affected by the fuel trim. It is common knowledge that the AM's run richer AFRs than a lot of other manufacturers of performance/exotic cars and unburnt fuel in the exhaust system does have the potential to leave deposits (ever seen the tailpipes of a car that's been running rich, they can be totally coked up.) So my educated guess is that the primaries and to a lesser extent secondaries are having their lives shortened by running a touch on the rich side.

Another possible factor is that the thermostat seal has been known to break down on the V8's at around the 3-4 year mark (not always, but it is not uncommon) which prevents the thermostat from completely shutting. In warmer climes this probably doesn't make much difference, but for colder regions where the thermostat is going to stay shut more often, especially on startup, this means colder engine temperatures for a longer period of time and therefore less complete combustion = little bit more unburnt fuel escaping the engine.

I'm fully aware that there are some out there who would oppose this view, or who might feel like the AFR was set where it was for a reason, but the proof as they say is in the pudding and so I'm drawing my conclusions from the body of my customer's experiences.

Just my 2 cents...

Originally Posted by Doc Martin
I have a 2007 V8 Vantage that loves to "eat" upstream O2 sensors. It might be just that it gets a lot of use but at $200USD a sensor from the dealership, it is a bit annoying. I've replaced 2 in the past. I'm just about to clock 40,000 miles. When I read the codes and then clear the codes with my code scanning tool. It tells me that bank 1, sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 are reading slowly. I wonder if this is related to ethanol in the fuel or just from regular use. This is the upsteam pre-cat sensor. Does anybody know if there is a Bosch aftermarket sensor for use in the V8 Vantage. I need a plug and play sensor, not one of those aftermarket splice-it-yourself ones. After 2 hours of google-ing I'm turning up nothing..
Many thanks!

Also, I'll have to replace front and rear brake rotors as they give me a lot of fade now and feel wavy. I have cut them once in the past as I own a brake lathe. Anyone got a rotor suggestion or know if there are alternatives to buying OEM ones from the dealer at $600 a pair?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'm far from an expert on this, but I always figured the issue was from the rich AFRs as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Stu, nice synopsis. I'm considering trying the NGK-made sensors this time. As I said, the car runs fine but I don't want to trigger "limp mode". Been there, done that...

A couple of you had mentioned the brembo rears. Is there a front/rear package. If so post a link and I'll check them out. Aston bits has rotor/pad sets discounted right now fyi.

Happy Motoring!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Well being honest, I can't even remember the last time I replaced a O2 sensor period on a VH platform..I'm in a cold climate so Aston's aren't driven in the winter months, there only driven between April and November. We have a 2 that are driven though in the winter (which by law are fitted with winter tires for that season).

I don't see the heat being a factor of the Lamba sensors, if temps where really to hot for the sensor don't you think the insulation would also melt on the harness being that close?? Things do get hot but there are A LOT of vehicle that get the Lamba sensors in tight and hotter places..the Vantage/DB9 even have bonnet vents to help lower the heat and let it escape..none-the-less not really the topic

I have seen lazy Lamba sensors in general due to excessive oil burn, oil clogs up sensors and it's a done deal..new sensor needed and at times the catalyst as well. Do you find the car consumes oil? A common of Vantage oil consumption is the PCV and Oil/Air seperater. Take off the large hose at the PCV, stick your finger inside and see if there is a large amount of oil in there..it is normal to have a misty oil film in the PCV but should not be soaking. If it is, change the PCV at same time you change the Lamba sensors..it is very cheap insurance(if you want a better price Land Rover and Jag use the same PCV on there 4.4/4.2L). Don't see the stat being an issue, you would get a fault code stating this error.

If the system was running to rich for what Aston has set, to the point of faulting the Lamba sensor..I'd believe the MIL will activate right away. Although if you don't set the misfire factors, car can be missing at times and you can burn up the Lamba sensors upstream..even the catalyst..and the MIL light would not activate untill the sensors are faulting..

There are lots of "could be's"..I'd check the Lamba sensors in datalogger and verify there readings, I'd also check the PCV for large amounts of oil, and verify if the Misfire Factors are set...those would be the first steps

Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Might anybody have the Bosch O2 sensor part numbers for pre- and mid- catalyst?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
Are those NGK sensors plug and play?

Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Bueller?