Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Seats adjustment stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
boosting1bar is on a distinguished road
Ugh still nothing after 10 minute cable connected wait. I guess I'll try leaving it unhooked over night and try one more time then make an appt at the dealer.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Still nothing.

Any way to at least manually move my seat to where it's comfortable? It'll be a nightmare getting it to the dealer in the current position.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Nope, only switch operated..did you touch both battery cables together after taking them off?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Nope, only switch operated..did you touch both battery cables together after taking them off?
Yeah, left them touching overnight two separate times.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Okay Irish one more question, are both seats controlled by one motor? I've tried the reset procedure repeatedly now with no movement at all from the seats. If both seats are on one motor then maybe that went bad, otherwise I can't see them both failing at the same time. Are they both on the same fuse? Looked like they were on separate fuses in the manual but I didn't see the in-cabin fuse box with a quick peek under the dash. If they're separate motors and separate fuses then it would definitely seem that it should be that module and I'll try it a few more times.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Okay further update, decided to check the fuses just in case. As it turns out fuse 86 was blown, replaced it and did the battery procedure and did the seat memory thing on the passenger seat and it worked fine. Great. Start on the driver's seat and do the first two steps and on the lower cushion front step there's a pop from the fuse box (same movement as originally blew the fuse). Check the fuse and this time it's actually 85 that blew which is specific to the driver's seat. Replace it and start again and 85 blows on the same step. So now the problem is sorta narrowed down at least....but unfortunately the seat went from an uncomfortable spot to I can't even get in now. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by boosting1bar
Okay further update, decided to check the fuses just in case. As it turns out fuse 86 was blown, replaced it and did the battery procedure and did the seat memory thing on the passenger seat and it worked fine. Great. Start on the driver's seat and do the first two steps and on the lower cushion front step there's a pop from the fuse box (same movement as originally blew the fuse). Check the fuse and this time it's actually 85 that blew which is specific to the driver's seat. Replace it and start again and 85 blows on the same step. So now the problem is sorta narrowed down at least....but unfortunately the seat went from an uncomfortable spot to I can't even get in now. Any ideas or suggestions?
I have seen this a few times. There maybe a short in the wiring not under the seat but behind the CEM Module. What year is your car? This can be a pain to access. But the location you are checking the fuse at, thats the CEM module. The wiring behind it rubs on the body causing a short and the fuse to blow. Also I do recall a updated seat module to correct the concern of loss of memory.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by AMFixer
I have seen this a few times. There maybe a short in the wiring not under the seat but behind the CEM Module. What year is your car? This can be a pain to access. But the location you are checking the fuse at, thats the CEM module. The wiring behind it rubs on the body causing a short and the fuse to blow. Also I do recall a updated seat module to correct the concern of loss of memory.
Car is a 2005, I tried to look under the seat to see if I can see any wiring issues but it's in such a goofy position I can't see anything under there. In retrospect now I don't think there was ever an issue with the memory itself, I think whatever is blowing the fuse has been the culprit all along, especially since the passenger seat corrects fine.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
By memory I mean the calibration of the seats. It may reset fine but it will lose the calibration again. 05MY there were alot of issues of seats losing calibration. The updated seat modules corrected this issue. But what you describe I have seen on many of '05's. The wiring behind the CEM is rubbing and maybe causing your issue of blown fuses.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
By memory I mean the calibration of the seats. It may reset fine but it will lose the calibration again. 05MY there were alot of issues of seats losing calibration. The updated seat modules corrected this issue. But what you describe I have seen on many of '05's. The wiring behind the CEM is rubbing and maybe causing your issue of blown fuses.
Right I knew what you meant my memory, should've been more clear. What I was saying that is that I believe the calibration was fine all along and it was just the blown fuse 86 for both seats that was the initial problem and now it's where the wiring is rubbing that's causing the problem since the passenger seat is fine. So is the CEM module there with the fuse box? Is it something I can reasonably get to to check the wiring or not so much? I really appreciate you tossing your knowledge in along with Irish on this!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
That fuse box where you are checking the fuses in the passenger footwell, that is the CEM. Its a module/fuse box. The CEM is pretty much the brain of the car. It holds the car config file, tells the other modules what kind of car it is, things like that. It can be a pain to get to.
1. If you have a overmat take it out. Fold the carpet back, no need to remove it as pulling the seat would be needed.
2. Then you should see a giant metal plate. There are 2 nuts(10mm) on the top, a nut toward the center console(10mm), 3 nuts or torx(10mm nut, T30 Torx) under the foam padding on the floor, and 2 torx(T30) at the outer post.
3.The where that single nut was at the center cosole, I bend it up out of the way over the stud, to help removal.
4.Then careful pull out the metal plate. You should now see a white fuse box. That is the CEM module.
5.Remove the 2 bolts or nuts at the top of the CEM. Tilt out the CEM.
6.Check all the wiring behind the CEM for damaged wires. There is a lip or edge on the body of the car, bout in the middile of the CEM, that the harness likes to rub on. Look for burnt marks here too.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
That fuse box where you are checking the fuses in the passenger footwell, that is the CEM. Its a module/fuse box. The CEM is pretty much the brain of the car. It holds the car config file, tells the other modules what kind of car it is, things like that. It can be a pain to get to.
1. If you have a overmat take it out. Fold the carpet back, no need to remove it as pulling the seat would be needed.
2. Then you should see a giant metal plate. There are 2 nuts(10mm) on the top, a nut toward the center console(10mm), 3 nuts or torx(10mm nut, T30 Torx) under the foam padding on the floor, and 2 torx(T30) at the outer post.
3.The where that single nut was at the center cosole, I bend it up out of the way over the stud, to help removal.
4.Then careful pull out the metal plate. You should now see a white fuse box. That is the CEM module.
5.Remove the 2 bolts or nuts at the top of the CEM. Tilt out the CEM.
6.Check all the wiring behind the CEM for damaged wires. There is a lip or edge on the body of the car, bout in the middile of the CEM, that the harness likes to rub on. Look for burnt marks here too.
Alright, eventually got in there and don't see any signs of trouble there. Everything looks good, no signs of frayed wires, bare wires or burn marks. I put a new fuse in with the panel rocked forward and watched to see if I could see anything but no sparks or anything, just the fuse popped again.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM
When you move the CEM the fuse blows? Which way are you moving it? Toward the car or away from thre car? Anyway to snap a picture of the back side of the CEM? I have seen CEM modules go bad, but that is pretty rare.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM
When you move the CEM the fuse blows? Which way are you moving it? Toward the car or away from thre car? Anyway to snap a picture of the back side of the CEM? I have seen CEM modules go bad, but that is pretty rare.
No not when I move the CEM, when I try moving the lower front part of the driver's side cushion. Since I had the CEM out I tried redoing the seat again to see if there was a spark or anything in back.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I had the loom go in the drivers seat on my last roadster giving similar issues.
The dealer replaced the loom and subframe.
Might be worth disconnecting each seat one at a time from the whole electrical system to isolate which seat it is?

Only other thing I can think of is maybe take the offending seat out and try to power up each motor (with a fuse inline) to see which movement is causing it. Then replace that part?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seats adjustment stopped working