Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Seats adjustment stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 PM
spmcevoy is on a distinguished road
AM v12v - interesting. my '05 doesn't have seat memory, but I will check the up/down thing first to see if could be the issue. Did your seatback tilt also stop working?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 PM
AM v12v is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spmcevoy
AM v12v - interesting. my '05 doesn't have seat memory, but I will check the up/down thing first to see if could be the issue. Did your seatback tilt also stop working?
Yes it did, the seat basically gets to a position and stops giving you certain options.

I even called AM warranty and they were sending an engineer to my house! embarrassing!

Old 12-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spmcevoy
Irish - your replies are greatly appreciated. I think I might have the issue, but it's a little different.

My 2005 DB9 coupe - driver side seat. Noticed the move back motion stopped, as well as the seat back tilt doesn't work either way. But, I still have seat forward motion (no back), and front seat tilt down (no up). So I have partial motion.

Do you think this could be the seat memory issue and is it worth a try to do the fix on my own?

Problem sucks since each time I fiddle with the controls I end up just a little closer to the wheel.
Being your car is a 2005, you have no memory seats..which means no seat modules to have programmed.

Your seats just sent power to each seat motor and reverse polarity to go the opposite direction.

To diagnose your concern, you would have to make sure each motor is getting the required power and polarity or requested direction.. It could be something simple as a chafed wire or even a faulty switch.

Your seats never had the the "clash avoidance" like the later cars(2008+) "with" memory seats..

Old 01-02-2016, 11:49 AM
spmcevoy is on a distinguished road
SOLVED! Thanks for the input Irish. I guess there is some 'memory' learning mode. I got a tip from the official workshop manual on Seat Module Calibration.

"Once the seat has been put into calibration mode it will remain in this mode until it has been re-taught its position. There is no physical indication that the seat is in calibration mode, the seat could be left in this mode for some time before a user notices. There is nothing wrong with the seat being in calibration mode for extended periods of time, it will only be apparent to the user when a rearward/downward seat movement is required. The seat must be calibrated before rearward/downward movement is allowed"

This described by condition exactly.

So, somehow my seats got into calibration mode was my guess. I followed the procedure you outlined (all the way forward, front incline all the way up, rear incline all the way up, seat back tilt all the forward, and all was well afterward.

I never would have tried this without all the posts. Thanks guys.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM
GM96 is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 Vanquish

I just replaced the battery on a 2014 Vanquish U.S. model. I used the sequence that you posted and did not work. Should this same sequence work?

Last edited by GM96; 04-19-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GM96
I just replaced the battery on a 2014 Vanquish U.S. model. I used the sequence that you posted and did not work. Should this same sequence work?
That's because Vanquish doesn't have the same seats nor the same type of settings. Your module shouldn't lose memory and it does not have clash avoidance. Your seat will just simply stop, and if you release and press switch again, you can get an extra inch but will chance clashing with the rear trim/seats.

If your seat doesn't work after a battery replacement, you would need a dealer visit to calibrate with AMDS(dealer tool)

Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I recently had the same symptoms in my 2012 V8VS - both seat adjustments stopped working and the nav screen would pop-up but no picture. After 10+ hours of diagnostic labor at my local shop, we discovered the F46 fuse in the passenger footwell was blowing due to some loose hardware (8mm nut and washer) from an interior trunk panel. They had fallen off into the interior trunk light housing and were rolling around against the terminals. Any time the trunk was opened and the trunk lights came on with the hardware against a terminal, it shorted out and caused fuse F46 to blow!!! Drives me crazy - it took 3 trips to the shop and $1500 in labor to get to the bottom of all this - hopefully my story will save someone if it happens you!

Old 10-27-2017, 05:04 PM
VirageVolante12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi! Guys, I have just bought an Aston Martin Virage Volanté 2012 MY. and I’m a first time owner of an Aston Martin, totally loving it. The first and only issue I am experiencing in this car is that my driver seat moves in all other directions but doesn’t go back, the seat is stuck all the way forward, and I have tried the calibration procedures as mentioned above by you guys but I guess in newer cars like Virage 2012, not sure if the calibration procdedure would be same. Also is there anything else that I could look into considering both seats move in all other directions except for the driver seat not going backward. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

P.S : I noticed this issue few days after battery change.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:28 AM
filwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Similar issue:- 2005 DB9 Volante, tracker fob slipped down the central side of the passenger seat. Moved the seat full up and forward and the backrest full forward. With a torch and some groping around under the rear of the seat I managed to retrieve the fob. Unfortunately then, the backrest switch would not activate any movement at all, rendering the seat completely unusable, stuck with the backrest fully folded forward. However the seat itself was fully functional. My underseat foraging must have caused the issue. I googled the problem and guessed it might need to be re-calibrated, aston1936 has some good information and a link to this thread. After a few attempts using the four step procedure prescribed (above) and at aston1936 it solved the problem. The two procedures described are virtually identical but It was the four seconds, and the fourth step that did it for me. Thanks to all the previous dated posts for their contributions.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:04 PM
jbuffa is on a distinguished road
Hi Irish07,

I'm having this issue with my Vantage GT passenger seat that came with no height adjustment. Do I just follow the same sequence minus the rear and front height adjustment? I've tried several times with no luck. Thank You!

Old 01-12-2024, 01:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by jbuffa
Hi Irish07,

I'm having this issue with my Vantage GT passenger seat that came with no height adjustment. Do I just follow the same sequence minus the rear and front height adjustment? I've tried several times with no luck. Thank You!
Yes, same procedure mins the up/down.

Make sure to hold the switch for 3 seconds after seat has stopped moving for each range of movement.

If that doesn't work, you can hold one of the pass seat switches to power a direction and disconnect the ground cable from battery at same time (make sure key on engine off), wait a few seconds and then reconnect battery cable. This should make up the seat and allow you to move in all directions, just make sure you follow the seat calibration routine to program the seat motor end stops.

If none of the above resolve the concern, means it's time to diagnose power to the seat motors via fuse and wiring.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-12-2024, 02:52 PM
jbuffa is on a distinguished road
Ok Thanks! I'll keep trying. My issue is the lower seat will not move all the way back. It get's about 1/2 way and stops.