Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ultimate DBS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Don't for a second think that I don't like fast cars -- I certainly do. Racer -- your story involves a car that has a hp figure that starts with "merely" a 5. Last weekend I had a very similar experience -- and did much the same thing -- with a paltry 420 hp. You don't need 700 to have huge fun! At that point it's all about bragging rights.
I agree you don't need 700 bhp to have fun, but who's to say 700 bhp wouldn't be more fun than 500 bhp? Imagine what it'd be like on the highway to drop a gear and punch it in a 700 bhp car (traction control being there just in case). It puts a grin on my face just thinking about it. My thought is don't knock it till you try it. Ten or twenty years ago, people thought that 500 bhp was way more power than anyone needed on the road, but it's now common even in high-end sports sedans.

Originally Posted by black penguin
Aston's problem is weight, not power. To me, all their cars beyond the Vantage just feel enormous and heavy (even if they are not, especially since the Vantage also needs to lose weight).
I agree that Aston's cars would benefit from less weight, but that's not to say that they couldn't use more power also. The reality is that a luxurious car like the Vantage is not ever going to weigh around 3,000 lbs. All the luxury is heavy and carbon fiber is really expensive. So, there's a limit on how much they can reduce weight. Plus, there's something to be said for raw power. Lighter weight and less power are great on a twisty mountain road, but in normal day-to-day driving, it's great to have a ton of power that snaps your head back when you press the pedal to the floor, ala my comments above.

In addition, I think Aston needs higher power figures for marketing and reputation purposes. You can argue the numbers are just bragging rights, but don't think for a second that this means that the numbers are not really important. Everyone else is in the horsepower competition. Aston can stick it's nose in the air and act like it's above it all, but that's really just a cop-out and won't help them sell cars.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
What Aston needs is some new technology. The new Porsche 918(?) is where the future is headed. Fast, very fast and efficient.