Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Mercedes engines...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
Mercedes engines...

Rumor mill is back on about Ashton's with Benz engines. I hope this time it's true because the engine side of the business is lacking 100%. I'm currently not even considering an Aston as a possible future replacement.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Aston with a Merc engine? They may be powerful, but they are pedestrian when compared with the Aston V12.

Definitely NOT interested.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Agree with XJRS.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
There are a few small volume builders using Merc engines including Zonda
AM need to play catch up on engine design they have only just added knock control to the V12 in the new Vanquish
But I will believe it when I see it!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Aston with a Merc engine? They may be powerful, but they are pedestrian when compared with the Aston V12.

Definitely NOT interested.
Yes, because the Pagani Zonda is definitely pedestrian compared to the Aston V12! LOL

Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
This rumor is in the air because of the Lagnonda SUV, it is rumored to use the powertrain and chassis of the benz..there was even talk of using the mclaren powertrain being that there just down the street.. and still the benz chassis.

Again..all rumors till released

Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
In order to survive, they need Mercedes engine technology, they can't do it n their own. Out of all the major manufacturers, their relationship with Mercedes is by far the best, it's the natural choice. I can assure you using Mercedes engines are not "pedestrian", don't forget the AMG engines are by far the best sounding German engines IMO. I think it will be a great match. I have said before I think Aston will use the 5.5L A,G motor with cylinder deactivation technology to drastically improve their fuel efficiency and improve emissions.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
don't forget the AMG engines are by far the best sounding German engines IMO.
Yes, we really shouldn't forget your opinion on this issue.

I agree that AM probably needs Merc's help. I love having an Aston V12, but technologically speaking it's behind the times and I don't think Aston has the resources to catch it up.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
OH please let the Lagnonda be pretty.. oh please

Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Don't forget, Mercedes is the largest v12 manufacturer in the world, it's not impossible for them to continue producing it for other manufacturers. I still think the NA 5.5L and turbo v8 are more likely possibilities. They could still use the ZONDA v12 as well (m120 v12 which is actually over 20 years old now if you can believe that)

Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Yes, because the Pagani Zonda is definitely pedestrian compared to the Aston V12! LOL
I didn't call the Zonda pedestrian. The Merc V12 is no tech marvel. It doesn't even have DOHC, it is that old. Of course you can get power out of one if you turbocharge it.

V8 Mercs are not exotic. So replacing a V12 with a V8 Merc would be the height of stupidity on Aston's part. If you V8 Vantage guys want a Merc V8 in your car, then have at it. No V12, no Aston for me.

I want ZERO tie in with MB (including engines). Once that happens the AM brand identity is on its way out.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
that is incredibly foolish logic ... that is like saying "Lamborghini will be destroyed if Audi takes over" .... it ended up being the single greatest thing that ever happened to the company.

Mercede will be the best thing that could have happened to Aston bc instead of cheap ford parts, Aston will start using much better Mercedes parts.

I am 1000% for it, it will be a very welcome change.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
007--would be careful with the knock on Ford. They did great things for the brand. I quite enjoy driving a reliable exotic

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM
that is incredibly foolish logic ... that is like saying "Lamborghini will be destroyed if Audi takes over" .... it ended up being the single greatest thing that ever happened to the company.

Mercede will be the best thing that could have happened to Aston bc instead of cheap ford parts, Aston will start using much better Mercedes parts.

Well then, you should run right out and buy an MB. MB would swamp AM brand identity. It would just be a German car assembled in England.

I would much rather have a benevolent, deep pockets sugar daddy like Ford was, and Tata is now for JLR. Just remember the 'good' MB did for Chrysler because 'Ve Jermans know better, yah?'. Like the monstrosity of a Bentley SUV unveiled at Paris. Restrained good taste and German car designers is an oxymoron to say the least.

MB and AM: End of AM was we know it...and not for the better.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all

You berate other peoples opinion as foolish then state AM NEED Merc engine tech and belittle the Ford connection.

AM would not be around if Ford had not invested in the VH platform, the engine plant and Gaydon factory

AM have other "relationships" that could deliver much more modern engines (Cosworth & Toyota)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes engines...