Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Finally drove a V8V sportshift today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
Finally drove a V8V sportshift today

Hi folks,

I finally had a chance to drive the V8V sportshift (non sports package) I must say, the car handles very well and was faster than I expected. Thsi was a 2010 convertible in Lighting Silver. For some reason, they did not have any sports packages so I could not comment on the difference. He told me sports package isn't that much different than the non-sports package and was pushing the Vantage S the whole time as the better alternative. He added that if I do not track the car, I will not notice a difference between sports package and non-sports package. Folks who have driven both, please chime in!

The brakes, I expected to be a lot better. The acceleration from a complete stop felt a lag. Perhaps I was just not used to the auto sportshift. But it took getting used to because it does not drive like a conventional auto. You have to slightly lift your foot off the pedal when it is changing gears. I really wish they had a manual in house to try. Lighting silver is beautiful in person and now I really want one! They had 2012.5 which I did not like the rear bumper. It had the black rubber inserts, found on the Vantage S. So I would have to opt for a 2010 or 2011 or early 2012, which I could not find in a manual (coupe). Perhaps in the next year or so more will pop up.

Last edited by irvineboy; 08-13-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
I did try both with and without the sport pack when looking to buy my 09. Now, you may notice a difference between the two, but whether that difference is good or bad depends on the kind of roads you are on. Realistically, if you are not pushing the cars performance on a track (and really you shouldn't be doing it with cars like this on normal roads), you don't "need" the sports pack. However, some people just like the slightly tighter feel and are rarely on bumpier roads. I'm in New Jersey and drive the car just about every day, so I ended up choosing the one with without the sports pack with no regrets at all.

As far as the sports shift goes, it does take some getting used to in order to get it to behave as you would like. Its never great at low speed parking lot maneuvers or backing up, but for normal diving you should be able to get it to behave as you like with a little practice. But you are spending real money on this car, if you really want a manual, get a manual because that's what you are really going to be happy with.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Hi Jay,

I had the sales rep search the database. There are only two lightning silver V8V in the states. Both are automatic. The only way is to wait until a used one pops up. Because I like the clear lights and sills, that only leaves the 2010 or 2011, which aren't any in the market.

The non-sports package does feel pretty smooth for a sports car. I guess I will have to wait to try a sports package to see if it is "bumpier". But then again, an auto is totally different than a manual. Manuals are hard enough to get, so this color combination will definitely be tough to find.

What was strange was that from a full stop, the sportshift felt like there was no power on the low end. You had to really step on it for it to move from a full stop. It probably was just that I was not used to driving a sportshift.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I had a MY09 ASM1 car with Sport Pack roadster and now have a Lightning Silver S roadster

The Sport Pack IS firmer than the standard car and does help with the handling. The S is even harder (more like the V12V). Decide carefully on what you want the car to do. The S can be a bit bump around town or on poor roads.

The trick with ASM1 is to do 3/4 learns to begin with and then do them regularly. DO NOT try to work against "creep" mode let it do its thing. Reverse is way to high geared as well causing some issues. DO drive it in manual (on the paddles)
ASM2 is ALOT better none of the above and a decent hill hold as well. The Sport button remaps the throttle and gives a better pull away.

Try an S if you can stretch to it and no mine is not for sale though I will leave you with a pic

Lightning Silver Vantage S Roadster 001 by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi Mike,

Congrats on the car. What is ASM1 vs ASM2? Does it hold true for auto or manuals?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jyeh74
The acceleration from a complete stop felt a lag. Perhaps I was just not used to the auto sportshift. But it took getting used to because it does not drive like a conventional auto. You have to slightly lift your foot off the pedal when it is changing gears.
The Sportshift is not an automatic transmission. It is a conventional manual with a hydraulic clutch and no clutch pedal. If you drive it just as you would a manual it's fine. It does take some getting used to and works best in manual mode using the paddles.

I took a V8V for a test drive this weekend as well. It did have the sport pack and the suspension seemed fairly compliant to me. Certainly not as harsh as the Cayman R. The test drive did make me like my R8 even more though.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
FYI: You can retrofit the clear lights onto an 09.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Yes, but then I would also have to get the sills, paint and install. 2010-2011 makes its easier. Just a lot more specific and harder to find.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
As others said (except by your dealer), the difference between standard and Sports Pack is definitely noticeable. The standard car is great. Like Jay, I drove both before I bought my '09, and I preferred the sharper response and handling of the Sports Pack. The ride is definitely more firm, though never harsh IMO. Neither is "better," it's just a matter of personal preference. Also, since you are interested in a manual, I highly recommend it -- the V8V has a great manual gearbox.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Was the sports package the only way to get the 5 spoke wheels in the 2009-2012 models?
Was the sports package available on both the V8 Vantage and the S version?

The picture that mikey posts above, is that non sports package wheels?

Last edited by irvineboy; 08-14-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jyeh74
Was the sports package the only way to get the 5 spoke wheels in the 2009-2012 models?
Was the sports package available on both the V8 Vantage and the S version?

The picture that mikey posts above, is that non sports package wheels?
To answer both sets of questions

ASM1 is the 6 speed sport shift
ASM2 is the 7 speed sport shift in the S and MY12 onwards
As others have said they are actuated manuals NOT auto's

You can get ANY of the Sport Pack bits retrofitted
The wheels in my picture above are the post 09 sport pack wheels
The N400 wheels (below) are the pre 09 sport pack wheels
The Sport Pack was an option from release of the 4.7's (first seen on N400)
A different set up is used on the S it is stiffer than the Sport Pack

Eurohoon 2011 30 223 by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

Last edited by mikey k; 08-15-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Dude, you need to get Grant's book. You are clearly embarking on a discerning search where the nuances of each model/variation are potentially important in the choice you make to the maximize value and enjoyment of the car you choose. His book addresses all these questions in detail. Highly recommended.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I get confused. I always thought the sports package came with the N400 (5 spoke rims) on all models 2009-2012. I have seen post 2009 models (2010 and 2011) with the N400 (5 spoke rims). The Vantage S rims look like this.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

I thought the 10 spoke forged should be standard with the V8Vantage. Now this sounds like it is post 2009 sports package wheels.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

Seems like everyone has a different combination. Gekko said he got the sports pack, but did not have the 5 spoke rims. He got the 10 spoke forged.
Mikey got the Vantage S, but also got the 10 spoke forged and not the Vantage S rims (my first link)

So what does the post 2009 non sports wheels look like?

Last edited by irvineboy; 08-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
The N400 wheels are the Sports Pack wheels for MY09 (but without the Graphite portion of the actual N400 wheel). They were also available for MY10, which was also the first MY that the later 10 spoke wheels were offered with the Sports Pack -- in MY10 the Sports Pack could be had with either the N400 5-spoke wheels or the 10 spoke wheels. Just to confuse things further, you could also order the 10 spoke wheels alone -- without the Sports Pack -- from MY10. If you got the 10 spoke wheels with the Sports Pack, they were finished in Graphite. Without the Sports Pack, they were finished in Silver. For MY11, the Sports Pack came with the 10 spoke wheel only (like Mikey K's car).

IMO, the N400 wheels are the best-looking wheels yet used on a Vantage.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 PM
That helps a lot speedraser. Thanks.
So what do the normal wheels look like in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012? Is it the 20 spoke wheels?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally drove a V8V sportshift today