Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12V clutch engagment height

Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
sunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond reputesunir has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ ah okay. My clutch is pretty stiff (or at least compared to my other cars), it grabs quite high almost at the release point when engaging 1st gear...and of course like you said there's some clutch "squawk" but very slight... I tried doing a full thottle pull in 4th gear at 2500RPM and the grab was fine I didn't feel the clutch slip at all...so still trying to figure out of it's something that needs service or if it's all fine. I personally think it's okay simply becuase there was no slip in the test pull in 4th gear... an I missing something?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM
irish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond repute
Not missing anything, the 4th gear pull is really the best test..just you can't determind how much lifie is left. I must admit though, on the twin plate, there is a lot of clamping pressure compared to the single disc. Think in the past couple years I've only replaced 2 DB clutchs..V8V's hehe I lost count..have yet to do a DBS or V12V..But the max mileage AM's in my area have on the tack is 30,000km..very rare I see north of 30,000km...average mileage on AM's from 99-present here would be 1,000-15,000km(99% are only driven 5mths of the year)

Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 AM
age is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by irish07 View Post
Not missing anything, the 4th gear pull is really the best test..just you can't determind how much lifie is left. I must admit though, on the twin plate, there is a lot of clamping pressure compared to the single disc. Think in the past couple years I've only replaced 2 DB clutchs..V8V's hehe I lost count..have yet to do a DBS or V12V..But the max mileage AM's in my area have on the tack is 30,000km..very rare I see north of 30,000km...average mileage on AM's from 99-present here would be 1,000-15,000km(99% are only driven 5mths of the year)
Irish07,

I’m quite annoyed and fed up with the “squawking” clutch on my 2009 DBS manual with 7k miles, did that since 3k, but doesn’t slip at all. I was offered an updated clutch at AML, but instead of investing this kind of money shouldn’t there be a better (and more durable) aftermarket alternative out there that you could recommend? The car is a daily driver but never tracked.

I would prefer the pedal to grab lower, but not be stiffer than what it already is. If there is no better aftermarket option I was considering getting that updated clutch from the UK and installing it in a non-AML authorized shop. AML claims that a software update in a must after the update to optimize the clutch action. Do you agree with this or is this just bollocks?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:06 AM
irish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond reputeirish07 has a reputation beyond repute
Well the clutch squawk is common, and is really annoying at most!! There is a updated clutch for the DBS and I think by now DB9. The V12V has the updated twin clutch..for DBS and DB9 the vehicle Config file needs to be flashed when updated. AM doesn't inform us tech's much as to why there is a new clutch or even the "why" on flashing with updated conf file..by "best" guess, and again this is only a guess: the old clutch is not bing made anymore and a new version is done by Veleo, for ASM's the software needs to be updated and for manual they prob lower the torque at lower idle rpm to allow more of a clutch slippage versus a judder that causes the squawk..
The V12V has this new clutch and update from the first models that were released..best opinion I can give, would be to talk with some V12V owners, if they get the came concern..you know first hand the squawk will not be solved by installing this "updated" clutch