Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12V clutch engagment height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM
EnataiV12V is on a distinguished road
V12V clutch engagment height

This question likely can relate to all AM models with manual transmission. I just recently took ownership of a new 2012 V12 Vantage. I only have about 300 miles in the seat (car had 100 miles on it when delivered) and came over from a 997 C4S with X51. I have no issue moving through the gears but I am having to get use to clutch engagment being much higher up than in the 997. I am not getting any slip once engaged and like the feel and weight of the clutch pedal. Is it the norm to have engagment about 50-60% up the clutch pedal travel. The 997 was closer to 25-30% Thanks

Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Same here. It can make launching the car from a stop tricky, since you really can't use your heel on the floor for better control. I finally had a custom pedal fabricated that makes 1st gear clutch control much more precise (no more lurching from a stop).

Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Yes, seems about right to me.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I ahven't driven another one to compare but the clutch pedal on manual on my DB9 is really stiff and grabs really high almost to the point of where you're letting off the clutch completely, I thought the clutch needed changing so I asked around and was told to do a test, put the car in 4th gear at around 2500 RMPS and floor it and see how hard the clutch grabbed...it grabbed well, no slip just torque transfer and the car hooked up just fine...so dunno what to say, I've not driven another manual DB9 since they are super rare and so I have no comparisons, I'd Imagine the DBS and V12V are the same way with their clutch but dunno for sure. This, by the way, is just for engaging 1st gear, all the others seem to shift at closer to normal clutch engagement point...once rolling shifts are buttery less heavy and more effortless clutch engagement, she cruises down the highway just fine!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Same here. It can make launching the car from a stop tricky, since you really can't use your heel on the floor for better control. I finally had a custom pedal fabricated that makes 1st gear clutch control much more precise (no more lurching from a stop).

interested to hear more

Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
...so I asked around and was told to do a test, put the car in 4th gear at around 2500 RMPS and floor it and see how hard the clutch grabbed...it grabbed well, no slip just torque transfer and the car hooked up just fine...

I may spend more time with the car before flooring it in 4th...I have found that the V12 requires quite a bit of focus when flooring...

Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by EnataiV12V
...I have found that the V12 requires quite a bit of focus when flooring...
Now _that_ is an understated assertion that made me ... well said.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:51 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ the torque figures on the v12 aston engines are the same across the board! V12V, DB9, DBS, Rapide all have the same torque rating...

why is this important> for a number of reasons, acceleration and so forth, least of which is the sheer FUN factor when burnin' a bit of rubber with a nice double black line should you choose to do so!

Torque...it's what gets you there!!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
My DB9 has less than 600 miles on it and the pedal is almost all the way out b/f the car moves. Thought there might be an issue but sounds like that's pretty much the norm.....

Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by LRDog
My DB9 has less than 600 miles on it and the pedal is almost all the way out b/f the car moves. Thought there might be an issue but sounds like that's pretty much the norm.....
Yup that's exactly how mine feels as well...it's wierd never had a car like feel like this but I agree I guess that's just how it's supposed to be? Any ideas guys?

LR how is your clutch feel? really stiff when engaging first gear?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sunir
Yup that's exactly how mine feels as well...it's wierd never had a car like feel like this but I agree I guess that's just how it's supposed to be? Any ideas guys?

LR how is your clutch feel? really stiff when engaging first gear?
Mine doesn't feel stiff at all. About the same as the 928 GTS with a 5-speed I came out of into the DB9.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM
^^^ I am not super experienced with the 928 chassis/GTS - but my DB9 clutch feels a bit stiffer then the clutch in my 911 GT2 ... the manual DB9 is so rare it's hard to get a few driving comparisons, I've asked the Service guy at Aston Martin Tysons to let me know if they get one in on trade or something I'd like to test drive it so I can compare...just to see how another one is like...

Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I've heard others say the clutch engages late. Maybe it does, but I haven't noticed. I think each car is a bit different in clutch engagement, and just acclimate.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I think with teh Vantage and DB9 having different clutches, maybe that is why the engagement point is so high - and the dual disk unit on the DB9 may be what leads to a firmer intitial pedal when engaging first, if the other components such as pressture plate and release fork/bearing are operating as the should and are the same that may explain the reason there are similarities in cltuch opperation and feel.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If comparing the V8V(single disc clutch) to the V12V(twin plate clutch), yes the clutch pedal will be higher on the V12V..But if you swap between driving a DB9, DBS, V12V(all 3 use the same twin clutch)..you won't see any difference. This is only because of the twin clutch AM uses, this does not require as much diaphram movement to free the friction discs as compared to a single disc. To hold 500HP+ you would have to use, a huge single style clutch and just PRAY you don't get stuck in stop-and-go traffic cause your leg will fall off..or use a smaller twin plate style clutch which avoids the really stiff pedal and just mkaes you deal with clutch "squawk"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12V clutch engagment height