Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12V Versions and advice

Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Il Pres is on a distinguished road
Talking V12V Versions and advice

Greetings all,
I'm a new to the forum, so first of all I would like to say hello to everyone and thank you for accepting my registration.

I'm currently a 997 C4S owner, that actually never fell in love with it. So I'm looking for a more exclusive, sophisticated car. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the Porsche is so good in everyday use, it has become something ordinary to me. Furthermore, I had some frequent issues with the PDK gearbox that maybe contributed to make me look for another brand. I can also mention, a bit of under steer when going fast, low torque at low RPM, and the fact that we have so many Carreras where I live... all this led me to consider a SLS or V12V, possibly waiting for the new DB9, which could be the same old story as no new engine/gear box/shape is on the way.

I've tried to read all the posts in this very competent forum, but I'd like to have some specific advice from you experts. So I kindly ask for some questions, and thank you in advance for possible replies.

-How many versions of V12V there are from the launch in 2009? has the V12V always been the same in every aspect? From the outside to the SATNAV? Same stands for the V8VS?

-has Anyone experience in driving both C4S and V12V cars and would like to share his comments?

-Would you use V12V as an everyday car? I want it to be my everyday car, I'm so lazy, I don't want to carry stuff from one car to another. How V12V would compare to C4S in this aspect. Is the MPG decent?

-How about the SLS?

-Would you think that the V12V will become a classic car thus holding value during time?

-Jast saw on youtube a nice Top Gear video: Jeremy says that the V12V would be the end, the ultimate of the "old School" analog cars... I know this sounds romantic, but we live in a real world of kerbs, holes, oil price, pollution and so on...

-BTW, for how long this model will last?

I've booked my test drive next week, but I'm pretty sure I cannot get all the answers just with a 30 min drive...

.....or.... I'll wait for the new 991 Turbo

I suppose it's a big jump in philosophy...

Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
V12V is the same basic car as when it was first launched. The car was slightly altered (front crash structure, I believe) to satisfy regulations for import to NA. Otherwise, it's a few minor tweaks like improved nav last year, aero wipers etc. (Grant Neal's book lists everything).

I have driven a C4S and did not like the overall feel of the car. That being said, I am not a big 911 fan (far prefer the Boxster/Cayman handling). The quality, solidity, Germanic precision, great brakes, power etc. were all there, but I suppose I've just never gelled with the rear engine layout.

I would not use a V12V as a daily driver, but that is down to personal situation and climate. IMO it could satisfy the role quite well (assuming you don't need to passenger more than one person or carry a ton of stuff around). However, the MPG is awful - it is a big displacement engine, without the latest fuel saving tech. I guess it doesn't help that much of my driving is hard on the throttle LOL...

SLS - an acquired taste. Great engine and exhaust note, brutally fast, but looks not for me.

V12V a classic? Well, nat. asp., large displacement, RWD, manual are rare attributes these days, so maybe. Or maybe not - Astons depreciate like wildfire. Ultimately, who knows and a bit of a pointless debate, really. Just get the car you want and drive it.

So take the test drive. You should know pretty quickly if this is the car for you. Just be sure to press the sport button. If you value 'specialness' any Vantage model has it over any series 911 in spades - the looks, the smell, the style, the sound... oh the sound!

And with the V12V, the performance. A word about this: it may not be the quickest when the numbers are tallied up, but it is the delivery that sets it apart. The linearity of response across the rev range is difficult to replicate these days, as many cars are using smaller displacement and forced induction. And the low end torque makes it quite frisky in the lower gears - you have to concentrate to drive this car well - it is not a video game car, unlike many in this segment.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks for you reply, much appreciated

Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I have a V12 Vantage and I drove many 997 variants before purchasing an Audi TTRS for track and winter use.

Here are my thoughts:

The V12V has a more exotic feel than the Porsche will. Everything about it fels like it is NOT a regular production car. Of course the Porsche is cheaper and in many ways bullet proof because of the mass produced components, so exotic comes with a price.

Although I said the Aston will feel more bespoke/exotic, it is still at the liveable end of that spectrum. The cars, the service, the reactions to them from others are "within reason".

I daily drive mine in the summer and they are comfortable and doable. BUT Iam a committed sports car guy. Do not confuse these cars with a BMW or even a garden variety Porsche. It is more like driving a GTS or GT3 on the street. The ground clearance is very low and you will have to alter how you drive and enter some parking lots. This is more specific to the V12 and perhaps the S than the regular car. IT attracts more attention than a Porsche too, so thats good and bad. You might also be more concerned where you park it than an Audi or a Porsche, though to be honest I have not had any bad response to the car.

If you pull the fuse they are much louder than a regular car. For me that is a plus, as the sound is glorious (at highway speeds my TTRS is actually higher DBs)

The sight lines are worse than a Porsche, but better than a Gallardo. Rear vision is passable. Side rear is compromised. You can't see the end of your hood. The side windows are very low and you sit deep in the car. At first it might be intimidating if you live in a city with cyclists or park with a lot of tight radiuses and curbs. Once you get used to it, no problem.

The controls are fantastic. The closest car I have driven to them is the 997 series Porsche's. You will like the steering, very precise and not electronic. The brakes are carbon, yet they are not grabby or noisy around town. The manual tranny is awesome, I love how it shifts and my clutch is just the right weight, but I'm coming out of a manual AMV8. It is far better than my Audi.

The drive is more like the 997 cars than the new 991 cars. Even though its a GT car, it has a more raw road feel than you might expect from an Aston. There is plenty of gear noise etc like in a 997, but less tire roar and of course the exhaust is a "better" more beefy note. In sport mode the throttle is response is instant and linear, the suspension becomes more alert and the sound opens up. Hit the gas and its easy to break the rear loose, especially if the tires are not warm. This car is very analogue in a very good way.

I have had two Astons and they have been very reliable. But, I don't put huge mileage on them. I think Porsche guys drive their cars far more and in worse weather. My guess is they are more expensive and less bullet proof than a Porsche, but cheaper and more reliable than say a Ferrari (but I have never owned a Ferrari so take that with a grain of salt).

The interior is far better than anything you will find in a 997, but you sit very low and there is far less room behind you. By sportscar standards its astounding place to be, both purposeful and luxurious without being bi-polar about its purpose. The alcantara is perfect and I prefer it to leather. The dials are beautiful and the reverse revving tach is a treat. the handbrake will be a pain for the first few days, but then you will love it. The rest of the controls are not the best to use, but they look amazing. I love being in the car.

Last edited by black penguin; 09-04-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks again for the super complete answers... It seems that my enthusiasm is fading a little bit as I'd like to use the car everyday, any weather... Maybe the V8S would do a better work. Any rumors about a new Vantage model in the next years? Maybe with lighter chassis and better mpg? I see that combined 13 mpg is dramatic for everyday use. What's your experience here?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
In short, an Aston Martin is not a car you buy to get good gas mileage.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Sure, I know that... It's an additional tax you have to pay if you want aston exclusivity. My concern is to spend huge $$ on the 12V and have a new, more efficient and performant vantage model in 1 or 2 years. We all know that the vantage base is, how many?... almost 7 years old.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 AM
diprcr is on a distinguished road
Gas Mileage?

I bought my DB 7 in July. I am comforted by the fact that it gets better gas mileage than my motor home.