Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Diminished Value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
*updated* Diminished Value

Hey everyone, I need some help. Last December someone hit my 2007 V8 Vantage, and I'm still fighting with the insurance companies about the diminished value of the car. I need some input to help support my case.

2007 V8 Vantage, fully loaded.
At the time of the accident, the car had about 24k miles and was in perfect condition.
The repairs took 58 days and cost $18,400.

How much less would you be willing to pay for such a car if it were for sale compared to one that had a perfectly clean title? Would you even be willing to buy the car, or would you only buy one with a zero-accident history?

Please let me know if you are a current owner, in the market, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by telum01; 11-15-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
It depends a lot on the damage; you don't say. Some I wouldn't touch, while other damage would be OK, but even then I wouldn't begin to pay full price. At least $5K off as compared to an undamaged car, maybe $10K. Without a doubt you will never get full retail.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
If the damage wasn't really bad, I'd still buy if I liked the car. I would also expect a discount though.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Agree with XJRS. Wouldn't be interested at any price if there was frame/structural damage. Less concerned about replaced body panels, but would still be looking for $5K-$10K off.

When I was shopping I only looked at cars with zero accident history. But I *might* have looked at something that had cosmetic repairs if everything else was just as I wanted, and there were no other choices available. Yours looks like a (very well equipped) classic silver/black example, and there are always some of those around. Given the choice between a clean history car missing a couple of options, or a loaded but repaired car, I'd almost certainly go for the clean history.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Telum -

Really sorry to hear about your car; makes my windshield fiasco seem so trivial

Anyhow, as a potential buyer, I'd consider a vehicle that had repair work done provided (i) the repair was not structural related (except, for a windshield replacement); and (ii) the repair was done by an AM certified repair facility. I learned that AM does designate certain facilies as authorized to do different levels of repair. As a prudent buyer, that's something I'd look for.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
thanks for the responses everyone, please keep them coming.

there was nothing structural, but the hood and grill had to be replaces, along with a few other bits in that area. the whole front end of the car had to be taken apart for inspection, and the front half of the car repainted to ensure the paint matched.

i called around to a few dealerships, and they've given me some ballpark figures as well (they're not quite as generous as you guys are!), and everything has been pretty consistent... the amount in my lawsuit is on the low end of the feedback i'm getting.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
When I was looking for my DBS, I would not consider a car with an accident history. Having said that, many cars have had repairs that were never reported. Customers just paid cash with no insurance company interaction. With today's high deductibles, I just assumed that if an insurance company was involved, lots of damage occurred.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
With these cars, there's no damage small enough to be lower (or even close) to most deductibles.

If something is just a panel replacement and paint, and done by a good, certified shop, its really no big deal at all. A new part is a new part is a new part, the real skill is in the paint job. Which is no different than someone having the front resprayed because of stone chips, it just needs to be a really good paint job.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM
the work was done by a shop recommended to me by AM's corporate rep for the SE US. they did a good job, but the vinyl wrap needs to be redone. however, they're 3 hours away from me.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
There is a 07 locally with a supercharger and other upgrades with crash damage repaired properly at 59K with no offers and it has been listed for almost half a year.

When I was looking any crash damage was an instant no sale.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
you are pissing in the wind unless you have an attorney, been there done that about 10 years ago

Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Telum, I agree with many of the others above. It would not turn me away (as long as the frame was fine) but I would probably expect a $5k or so discount. Would be most concerned with the outcome of the respray.

Good luck with it!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
$5k off market price sounds about right.

Would it turn me off from buying the car? Like others have said, it depends on the nature of the damage and how it was handled/fixed. I recommend you keep photos of before, during, and after the repairs were made; as well as all repair receipts. If a seller had all the proper documentation and the damage was cosmetic, I would be much more willing to purchase the car.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
I'm 50/50 as well, it really depends on the previous damage, and where/how the repairs were done.

I agree 5K discount will have to do

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM
thanks again, everyone

Originally Posted by Christian
you are pissing in the wind unless you have an attorney, been there done that about 10 years ago
yep, i have a lawyer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diminished Value