Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston to go AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AMR Power
It would be great to see AM offering engine and ECU upgrades to older models as a 'refresher' (like Nissan does with their GTRs). This not only increases profitability but offers dealer-installed upgrades to keep up the resale value of older Astons and in turn, the brand itself.
Sounds interesting AMR. To what extent does Nissan carry out these upgrades? Do they do it for mechanical parts like cylinder heads and inlet manifolds etc or just software upgrades?

FF

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM
AMR Power is on a distinguished road
To what extent, I'm not sure. But I do know they do offer that option for the first generation models. I believe I read it in Road and Track Magazine not too long ago. It may just be software upgrades.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yvr
I'm pretty sure all the engines (V8 & V12) are built in the Cologne engine plant.

The TT2 is a ZF box (ZF 6HP26 I think), and might be the only rear mounted transaxle variant of that.

The 7speed Sport Shift 2 in the Vantage S is a 7 speed Graziano Gearbox (same Italian manufacturer that makes the Ferrari & Lambo gearboxes). I am not sure where the 7speed comes from, it may possibly be the same on in the Ferrari 458. The 6speed graziano manuals & E-gears were used in pretty much all the exotics you can think of. It is the king of gearboxes.

The 6speed Autos or touch shift transmissions in the larger DB9s and etc are ZF based torque converter autos with updated software essentially. They are not to be confused with the 7speed Grazianos, totally different animal.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I love the graziano 6 speed manual transaxle in my DB. Such a positive feeling, nice and tight shifts with short throws, makes rowing the torquey Big v12 all that more pleasurable !

Old 12-23-2012, 02:27 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AMR Power
To what extent, I'm not sure. But I do know they do offer that option for the first generation models. I believe I read it in Road and Track Magazine not too long ago. It may just be software upgrades.
Nissan North America does not support this for the GT-R. There are no factory supported 'upgrade' packages. Not even a tune or TCM reprogram.

Though, the upgrades have caused people with '09's to sell and purchase 12-13's.

R&T did make that claim, but they make up stuff often.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
thanx for all the replies fella's, very interesting thoughts

Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 AM
jonby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
The 7speed Sport Shift 2 in the Vantage S is a 7 speed Graziano Gearbox (same Italian manufacturer that makes the Ferrari & Lambo gearboxes). I am not sure where the 7speed comes from, it may possibly be the same on in the Ferrari 458. The 6speed graziano manuals & E-gears were used in pretty much all the exotics you can think of. It is the king of gearboxes.

The 6speed Autos or touch shift transmissions in the larger DB9s and etc are ZF based torque converter autos with updated software essentially. They are not to be confused with the 7speed Grazianos, totally different animal.
the 458 has a dual clutch box, the same as all the current range. It's the same box that MErc use in the SLS, though they tune them differently. The 430 had a single clutch box (F1)

The 7 speed graziano in the Vantage V8 is a single clutch unit. Only Lexus in the LFA, Lambo in both Aventador & Gallardo and just one or two others now use a single clutch box - it 'feels' more like a manual and involves more driver skill than a dual clutch to change gear smoothly, it's also a lot lighter (hence some still using it) but it has dis-advantages - auto option is normally terrible and the clutch can wear out more quickly

Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I prefer AMG to Toyota. Their engines are epic and closer to Astons in character.
The watch out of course is they are slowly moving away from naturally aspirated too.

I think the C63 AMG (awesome motor) and the SLS AMG are the last hand assembles NA motors. I think the others moved to bitubos. Am I correct in thinking that???