Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage V8 4.7 engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Wow, did not realize the 4.7L were square bore motors (bore/stroke same).... No wonder its such a well balanced motor. 91mm bore / stroke is already pretty aggressive, I don't think you really need to go any bigger than 4.7L to get stupid power. I don't see why 490+ isn't easily obtainable with more rpms and full free flowing exhaust & tune.

Based on these most recent V12 issues I have been hearing, that only makes the case for the later 4.7L Motors even stronger. I think that has confirmed my choice of Vantage S.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Bamford Rose have the 4.7 to 450 BHP in GT4 spec & manifolds/cats, with the N400 intake and twin throttle inlet manifold they can get close to 490 BHP
They have also developed a 5.0 conversion get up to 550 BHP!
Who needs a V12.
You just need deep pockets

Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
490hp in the 4.7 is more than enough power IMO, when you factor in the almost 200lb difference between the V8 & V12 that puts them at almost identical power/weight ratio

Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
So true...as the GPA approaches 0, so does the likelihood of becoming a business major.

Love it !!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Pavel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Wow, did not realize the 4.7L were square bore motors (bore/stroke same).... No wonder its such a well balanced motor. 91mm bore / stroke is already pretty aggressive, I don't think you really need to go any bigger than 4.7L to get stupid power. I don't see why 490+ isn't easily obtainable with more rpms and full free flowing exhaust & tune.

Based on these most recent V12 issues I have been hearing, that only makes the case for the later 4.7L Motors even stronger. I think that has confirmed my choice of Vantage S.
Engine balance does not have a lot to do with a motor being square or oversquare. V8 engines are balanced with bob-weights. The weight of this bob-weight is calculated based on 100% of rotating and 50% reciprocating weight of engine components. Every time you change out for a heavier, or lighter, connecting rod or piston you have to rebalance the crankshaft.

91mm bore being aggressive is a relative term and all depends how much parent material you have in the block to allow overboring or support the sleeve you have. Subaru 2.5L flat 4 engines have a 99.5mm bore stock. Going to 101mm on stock sleeves in those motors is not possible and not advised. On the other hand Nissan sr20(2.0L I4) has an 86mm bore and when sleeved can be safely bored to 90mm.

Overboring the 4.7L AM from 91mm to 93mm is possible with respect to bore spacing and material left for proper headgasket sealing but it is not possible with stock iron sleeves. So if you really wanted to do it you can but it is not easy or cheap since sleeving the block is required.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
490hp in the 4.7 is more than enough power IMO, when you factor in the almost 200lb difference between the V8 & V12 that puts them at almost identical power/weight ratio
Horsepower goal is a relative term. To some a 500hp car is something fun to play with, while others its a dangerous scary weapon. I met Tonis Kasemets on several occasions. He drove the Vantage V8 and said the car is a dog. I would be more concerned with weight reduction than power adders. Tonis Kasemets use to drive Formula Atlantics. I met him years ago through my mentor and then one day I stopped by a neighbor's CNC shop and he was there on a lathe making some parts for his person projects.

Pictures of Tonis:
http://multimaticmotorsports.com/pho...ce-day-barber/

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by dan87951
As a guy who works on his own cars thats pretty cool you took on that project seeing there isn't many resources out there for these cars and most of the dealers pretty much laugh you off. I have never tried to rebuild an exotic engine but it seems odd that Aston did not include tolerances on any of the engine parts in the shop manual. Just out of curiosity what did the rebuild cost?
It is strange not to find bearing clearance or piston ring specifications in a 800+ page service manual but that is the case for a lot of "high end" cars. I have the service manual for the Vantage V8, Vantage V12, and the DB9. They list torque specs but not bearing clearances. They expect you to read journal size engraved on crank, read housing size engraved on block, and find correct bearing in a spreadsheet. Working backwards from then recommendations I purchased 2 of each grade bearing shells from Jaguar dealer(same bearings as AM) and went through the time consuming process of installing shells, torquing the caps, and checking clearance. This process I repeated for all grade main and rod bearings.

My friend recently fried an engine in his 997 Carrera S and asked me if I wanted to take a stab at it. I sources the complete 997 service manual and then same clearance and ring gap situation exists.... there are none.

This rebuild after all was said and done cost about $15,000. That includes all machining, custom parts, oem AM parts, and labor.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Pavel_Engines
Engine balance does not have a lot to do with a motor being square or oversquare. V8 engines are balanced with bob-weights. The weight of this bob-weight is calculated based on 100% of rotating and 50% reciprocating weight of engine components. Every time you change out for a heavier, or lighter, connecting rod or piston you have to rebalance the crankshaft.

91mm bore being aggressive is a relative term and all depends how much parent material you have in the block to allow overboring or support the sleeve you have. Subaru 2.5L flat 4 engines have a 99.5mm bore stock. Going to 101mm on stock sleeves in those motors is not possible and not advised. On the other hand Nissan sr20(2.0L I4) has an 86mm bore and when sleeved can be safely bored to 90mm.

Overboring the 4.7L AM from 91mm to 93mm is possible with respect to bore spacing and material left for proper headgasket sealing but it is not possible with stock iron sleeves. So if you really wanted to do it you can but it is not easy or cheap since sleeving the block is required.

By Well balanced I meant Balance of HP & TQ in the powerband, not the actual "balance" of the engine, that part is obvious lol.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikey k
Bamford Rose have the 4.7 to 450 BHP in GT4 spec & manifolds/cats, with the N400 intake and twin throttle inlet manifold they can get close to 490 BHP
They have also developed a 5.0 conversion get up to 550 BHP!
Who needs a V12.
You just need deep pockets
Until you mod a v12, now we're taliking 650 - 700 bhp... All things considered in the NA world without forced induction, v12>v8 stock to stock and modded to modded, any day of the week and twice on sunday ! Besides the torque, power deilvery, and glorious sound of the v12 is unmatched!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
besides the torque, power deilvery, and glorious sound of the v12 is unmatched!
this! :-)

Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Pavel_Engines
Here is food for thought...
4.7L engine bored to 93mm(91mm stock) and standard 91mm stroke: 4945cc... 5 LITER VANTAGE!!!
This will require custom sleeves to be made and pressed into the block.... details of course.

Not sure but I think BR use the same crank on their 4.3 to 4.7 GT conversion.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Impressive work and nice writeup/photos. Thank you for sharing your knowledge - people like you are what make the internet so great!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Did you get a chance to degree the cams?
I would be most interested in this data.

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
Did you get a chance to degree the cams?
I would be most interested in this data.

I have to look back in my notes for details. I checked camshaft lift and total duration. I did not check camshaft opening and closing. Static numbers do not mean much on these motors anyway since the intake camshafts have timing phasers and the ECU constantly changes timing. If total duration, both seat-to-seat and at 0.050", is known then the diagnostic scan tool can be used to check camshaft timing at different engine RPM and loads. (at least I hope it can be).

Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Wow! good job on the rebuild! I'm looking at a 2009 vantage which is flooded but i don't know if the engine was running at the time. Do you think it's worth getting a flooded aston martin?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage V8 4.7 engine rebuild