Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage V8 4.7 engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
Seems to me that the motor will support over 550hp as long as detonation is avoided!
Oh it will

Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Speedraser

I've heard the V12 is just two Ford Duratec V6s stuck together
Call it what you will my friend, it's a Cosworth/Aston gem of an engine, not derived from an external brand and only used in AM and provides a ton of desire and character to the DB line-up. Nothing trumps the V12's glorious sound and silky smooth torque dilivery combined with power and beauty to make up the soul in an Aston!

Lets see how that one gets under your skin lol !!!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
oh boy...

Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I like to make things last forever, I can't remember the last DD that didn't eclipse 250K or more with only normal maintenance. Should I find an engine from a wreck and send it to you or not worry? I always buy excess capacity and rarely use it, hence the longevity, but I love the sound of the v8 and well... If I ship you a used engine what would you prefer, stuck, in wreck, etc. to work on Pavel?

Last edited by oo7; 02-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oo7
oh boy...
haha no biggie Speedraser is bud, his posts are clever and he has good insight, we enjoy going back and forth sometimes it's all in good fun, we're both a little biased but we agree on a lot of the same things, he knows his stuff.

...I'm sure he'll come back with a nice retort to my post

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Sunir my friend,

Check out the bore center specs of the V12 Duratec. I mean the V12 and the Duratec V6

The V12 is "based" on the Ford design, but in all seriousness, I would never call it a Ford engine -- that just presented a starting point for a new V12 engine, and it is certainly a "gem of an engine." Regarding the V8, there is literally nothing shared between the Jaguar V8 and the Aston V8, which also is only used in Astons. And the V8 has a dry sump! So there

Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Sunir my friend,

Check out the bore center specs of the V12 Duratec. I mean the V12 and the Duratec V6

The V12 is "based" on the Ford design, but in all seriousness, I would never call it a Ford engine -- that just presented a starting point for a new V12 engine, and it is certainly a "gem of an engine." Regarding the V8, there is literally nothing shared between the Jaguar V8 and the Aston V8, which also is only used in Astons. And the V8 has a dry sump! So there
+1 though the V8 is more a slightly moist sump not a true dry sump

Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Nothing wrong at all with an engine built from Ford origins. That V12 does have great torque delivery.

However I must disagree with you in that the V8 sounds better IMO.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
It's more than a little funny that in a thread discussing relative reliability/longevity/durability of engines, that Ford's engines are brought up as the butt of a joke.

I'm not being all sensitive or anything, you two (Sunir and Speedr) got me thinking and I thought, "hey, aren't Ford's engines some of the most bomb proof mass production units out there? I mean, the Taurus and crown vic are some of the most notoriously "go forever" engines known."

Sure, I want to know that my exotic has some of the exotic in it's engine (Volvo in your DMC, sir?), but then again, I don't mind knowing that the core DNA of my powerplant comes from a house that's been doing it right for a long time.

The W16 in a Bugati is a VW engine. Complaints?

The olde tyme days of the tinkerking bloke and his motor car engine are long gone. I'll take a small army of engineers any day. Hmm, but then again, there's that Britton guy...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Very true -- Ford engines run huge mileages in taxis, Lincoln limos (I've been in several with over 400K on the un-rebuilt engine). They may not be exotic, but they are durable.

However, I have to say that the use of, for example, VW engines in Bentleys does detract from their desirability, for me anyway. It just does. At least the W16 in the Bugatti isn't used in another car, but it is essentially two W8s.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
The w12 in the bentley CGT is a beast of a motor! I love the ferd duratec in my fusion, err i mean Aston DB! Lol

Best engine in a road car IMO ... Porsche metzger engine! Basically a Twin turbocharged motorsport bullet proof race engine with forged internals and advanced metals mated to a stout RS gearbox in my GT2!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Sunir,

I have a Mezger engine also -- fantastic thing. Of course, real Mezger engines are air-cooled

Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Speaking of motorsport engines vs civilian.

A few years ago I heard an interview with an exec at GM. He had been promoted from director of Motorsport and now worked in consumer cars. He said he was often surprised by people's worship of motorsport engines and he liked to point out their misconception: A motorsport engine (yes, factory/big team style) is a fragile, delicate thing that is babied and coddled and still doesn't last very long. On the other hand, a regular sedan engine is expected to start from below freezing and immediately drive at normal perfromance. Also start and run in temps over 100, at all sorts of altitude and with a wide variety of fuel mixtures. And on top of all that, it's expected to run for years without a single tear down.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the demands of motorsport are huge, but I just wanted to share the perspective of a guy who knows both worlds well. The contemporary, mass produced auto engine is an impressive thing. Some more impressive than others.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Sunir,

I have a Mezger engine also -- fantastic thing. Of course, real Mezger engines are air-cooled
Haha nice one...is that why the LeMans winning GT1 used a water cooled turbocharged Metzger which later made it's way into the GT2?? hmmmnn.... makes you wonder why the switchover, and the win...coincidence

Okay your turn ...ball in your court

Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Speaking of motorsport engines vs civilian.

A few years ago I heard an interview with an exec at GM. He had been promoted from director of Motorsport and now worked in consumer cars. He said he was often surprised by people's worship of motorsport engines and he liked to point out their misconception: A motorsport engine (yes, factory/big team style) is a fragile, delicate thing that is babied and coddled and still doesn't last very long. On the other hand, a regular sedan engine is expected to start from below freezing and immediately drive at normal perfromance. Also start and run in temps over 100, at all sorts of altitude and with a wide variety of fuel mixtures. And on top of all that, it's expected to run for years without a single tear down.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the demands of motorsport are huge, but I just wanted to share the perspective of a guy who knows both worlds well. The contemporary, mass produced auto engine is an impressive thing. Some more impressive than others.
2 totally different engine purposes and build goals. Road going engines are made to last longer in stop and go and highway lower rmp usage, their tolerances reflect that.

Race engines are measured by hours of useage, their tolerances and materials reflect that. They are very strong if they are Endurance racing motors, the opposite end from fragile and delicate...I wouldn't call being at redline almost all the time over 24 hrs of uptime "babying" a motor at all. That's why they get rebuilt periodically based on hour logs, stuff wears out, they are under severe conditions and the highest usage load possible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage V8 4.7 engine rebuild