Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help Me Decide Between These Wheels!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Help Me Decide Between These Wheels!

Guys, I posted this in my XKR thread but decided this needed it's own thread as I make my final wheel choice.

I'm trying to decide between these three wheels. I'm counting on my Aston Brethren to weigh in with impeccable taste and vision - hey you drive Astons after all! Do I go with the dark, sporty and mysterious Ace Mica Gray Mesh 7. Or the Hypersilver Convex. Or the concave 10 spoke look of the Koko Koutoure.

Here is how I summarize them:

Mesh
Seems more aggressive and subtle. No I would not do the red stripe.
Brake caliper will contrast the dark more. But may be a bit less visible than Convex.
Gray will provide more texture than typical black which can get completely lost
More of a motorsports look. But mesh is also known to be classy

Convex
More noticeable and jewelry like with machined and silver finish
More movement when they rotate because each spoke is more pronounced instead of being a weave. Especially at low speeds

Koko Koutoure Lindos
Has a concave look

First is my car. Then you have to imagine the two different wheels on it...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
I prefer the last ones, as shown on the white BMW. I think they would great on your xkr.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Thanks Jarod. So I just learned that the only version of that wheel available matte black face with polished. Not sure if I like as much as the all black:

Last edited by Evoking; 01-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
I don't like two tone either. But any decent wheel refurbisher should be able to paint them. Otherwise there are lots of other brands with similar design. E.g. http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_interlagos.php

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I like the ones on the white CLS

Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Just found out Vossen CV3 can be done on my car! This used to be my original preference. I think the long nose, low stance with deep barrel will look killer. And the silver would pop off the black!

Attached Images      
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to say this...but I LOVE the stock wheels on your Jag.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Haha, thanks Drcollie. They aren't bad stockers at all! But they are rather solid, show no brakes and are more luxurious looking. This is an "R" afterall. It should growl!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I've read a couple of threads (porsche, others) where guys used plastidip to try out different colors on their wheels. Might be worth a couple of hours spraying some black on your current wheels to see how you like it. Apparently just peels off when you want to go back to stock.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
My preferences:
1. Vossen CV3
2. Mesh

Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
OMG.... Another thread about wheels for your jag in the AM forum? One isn't enough? Said it in the other thread.... I think you are waaaayyyyy over thinking this! Please make a descision sometime soon....

BTW, this was my S5 (nice wheels but they scratch REALLY easy! and for that reason I wouldn't recommend them):

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Ldog, didn't make another thread because 1 wasn't enough. I mentioned how I have this in another thread but that thread is titled "2011 XKR" and was a general car post thread. One of the items I mentioned in that thread was wheels.

However, I made dedicated thread requesting feedback in the title because usually folks are more likely to quickly click, look, post an opinion. Regarding taking this too seriously its actually just the opposite. I do enough serious stuff in my life. This is all in fun - hence why I'm asking total strangers feedback

About the XKR in Aston forum - my thought was that if you own an Aston you're probably a car person and can appreciate other marques especially British and not throw it in my face - though I know you're messing with me ;-) Btw, I've had about 90 cars in my life and this XKR hopefully won't be the last!

Is that really your actual S5? What coincidence. See. Apparently we have similar taste Vossen CV3, British GT etc. Hmmm, perhaps you bust my chops because you see yourself in me

When you say they scratch easily was it the lip on curbs or do you mean the surface is too sensitive?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
^^. Haha! I'm half picking at you but honestly, do you really have that much trouble deciding on which wheels to go with? I've done the wheel thing many times and never considered anyone's opinion b/c I never asked. You need to go with what YOU like and the hell with everyone else's opinion! Be desisive and make your own decision.

FWIW, the Vossens had all kinds of marks on the face of the wheels after just a few thousand miles..... Don't know what caused the marks as I've never seen that b/f on any wheels I've ever owned; stock or aftermarket.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the Vossen experience. I've put wheels on every car I've owned and am generally decisive. The feedback is more in fun. Pictures of other cars make it fun as well. Order will be placed tomorrow. I'll surprise you guys with the results!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM
^^ the suspense is killing me!

Seriously, your car will look awesome with which ever wheel you land on. You're a good sport about my ribbing. Rep points for ya!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide Between These Wheels!