Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Johnny 550 is Coming!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Some more progress
BR have worked out how to get the ASM2 box upto the same spec cooling as ASM3 on the V12VS
It just means the box has to come out to be modified
Pinnacle ceramic coated headers are on
Once the gearbox is modded it will go back in with the lightened flywheel and clutch
There may be an opportunity to move the mechanical twin throttle linkage on to a dual electronic throttles, which has a few benefits over the mechanical one. So the inlet manifold won't be "beautified" at this point
The monster is growing!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I was at Bamford Rose yesterday to collect Johnny
Well I'm back a lot quick than normal
I got to BR about mid day and we had a good chat about the work done on the gear box and the exhaust.
The lads were very thorough, adding extra internal oil distribution to the gearbox, flow control to the oil pump and then checking oil temps under all sorts of conditions. I'm going to post some amazing pictures of the before and after gearbox internals when I get them on email.

We headed off on the 1.5 hour drive to Millbrook. Roof up in none Sport mode (exhaust valves always closed), its like being in a Limo, very civilised, perfect for long distance autoroute runs. It's still got the ASM pause in D in this mode, massive improvement on what it was though. Not surprised or bothered as I've never used it in this mode. Stab the Sport button and its all change. The exhaust valves are open all the time, though amazingly the sound is quieter at low revs than the stock car, all hell breaks lose at ~5k rpm right up to the 7.6k rev limit. The sound is a lot less metallic than when I drove it in January with the stock exhaust. Its got a great low tone to it and barks on down changes This was a pleasant surprise to BR and me, I was dreading it being too loud and having to throttle it with resonators. Apparently its a result of the 4.3 rear box, the maximum diameter sports cats that would fit and slightly longer pinnacle headers.

Mike then took a hold of the paddles and slowed to a crawl, flooring the throttle. Jesus this thing shifts! It just pulls all the way up the rev range swapping cogs seamlessly with no lift, pause or delay. Problem is I think the speedo is out by a long way You just don't realise how many leptons you hit until you look down

We swapped over and I drove the rest of the way to Millbrook, getting stuck behind every tractor, bus and learner in the Midlands It did prove how well it behaves at slow speed and in traffic.

We got to Millbrook and signed in (Mikes on first names terms with many of the staff )
To our glee Aston were running a "driving experience" day
Mike drove me round the various courses and we caught up with a V12VS (thought it was Andy Brew for a second!) as he came to the 1 mile straight to try a vmax run. He wasn't playing As Mike did the first launch they were out the car trying not to look Mike fluffed a gear change (yes really) and we still hit 165 mph, after another run we hit 170 mph with a little more to spare, we decide not go for a 3rd go as 170mph tops the BR Vmax list and is faster than any factory car has done there

We meandered over to the handling course passing a few more factory guys trying ever so hard not to notice or hear us
Mike showed me the lines and I had a good blast round, he went very quiet. Not sure if he was calm or scared, hopefully the former! Caught the same V12VS who promptly moved over much to the amusement of a couple of the Marshals. Soon got the measure of the handling circuit and decided to go and explore the Alpine circuit. Bad timing, it was littered with van drivers testing Movano's and yes they still carved me up and hogged the lanes
So we went round again only to discover more of the AM factory group soon sorted that, only one hung on. Ironically a Rapide S but I'm guess it was a factory driver who knew the circuit, he gave up half way round. That is a scary circuit, get it wrong on there and you will know it!
We only spent 45 mins there but it was well worth it, I suspect there will be some interesting conversations at Gaydon tomorrow (Ian I guess you now know we fixed the gearbox despite your efforts )

Saw a nice McLaren 650C spyder out testing as well.

I drove back to BR in the style I would use the car, its ballistic, overtakes are like time travel, then it settles back to a comfortable limo, ready & waiting for the next opportunity
Drove past Gaydon at kicking out time in sport mode (just to let them know we were there )

The shot peening and polishing of the gearbox internals has really made a difference, loads less cabin noise and NVH, much much smoother changes. Frustrated by the fact the rear wheel bearings were shot after 13k miles, one of them was so bad it was either going to seize or completely collapse (AM quality control strikes again) full set of rear pads (brakes and hand brake) needed due to traction control intervention more use of track mode needed
I was pleasantly surprised with how little traction control intervention there is now, though I will be putting it in Track mode to stop this once I've "got the measure"
All in all it has exceeded my expectations of what I was aiming for and 2 weeks in the Alps is going to be EPIC!!

We got back to BR and put the smoked chrome alloys on with the oversized Michelin Pilot Super Sports, drove home with them on, they grip very well and actually feel a bit more comfortable than the stock RE050's

The only visible sign of what Johnny is are the powder coated wheels and if you look carefully the gearbox oil cooler. Not arsed about dynoing it, especially as there is still more to come with the twin throttle package that is going through electronics development (mechanical didn't cut it). Might do it then just to confirm the numbers.

I believe this is compulsory now Off to do some more "preflight checks"

Untitled by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

image by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

Better pictures over the weekend

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14372906479_9493f5c339_b.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	393917   Click image for larger version

Name:	14583428663_d0262e151a_o.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	393918   Click image for larger version

Name:	14583430193_7669e424ca_o.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	393919   Click image for larger version

Name:	14583432263_d9c41c941a_o.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	393920  
Attached Images         
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
That is epic. Congrats on finally getting it done. Sounds like you've built yourself the perfect Aston. More power, higher revs, and a gearbox it deserves. How does it shift from first to second under full throttle at peak rev? I think that's the most annoying part of my ASM1.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
thanks for the write-up... you've managed to put a serious dent in the bug population! Love those powder coated wheels. Good luck with the revised ride.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
That is one seriously tempting upgrade. Would rather have this upgrade then a supercharger any day. Look forward to seeing some dyno results. Especially the torque

Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
thanks for the write-up... you've managed to put a serious dent in the bug population! Love those powder coated wheels. Good luck with the revised ride.
There will be an even bigger dent over the next two weeks

Old 07-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by rbobby
That is epic. Congrats on finally getting it done. Sounds like you've built yourself the perfect Aston. More power, higher revs, and a gearbox it deserves. How does it shift from first to second under full throttle at peak rev? I think that's the most annoying part of my ASM1.
Doesn't bat an eyelid it just blasts through all off them at WOT up to 170 mph on a standing mile

Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Bit of an update

Did a 2k mile trip in it earlier in the month across France.
It was set up with newer versions of the BR headers (more torque), large area 200 cel cats (less pressure drop) and a 4.3 rear box (to tone the noise down a bit). Base tune and no twin throttles yet.
It's a real Jekyll and Hyde.
Sport button off, roof up it is a really quiet hyper speed GT. We did 950 miles in one day no issues. Drop the roof and hit the sport button it is ballistic! It just pulls all right up to the extended 7.6k rpm redline (might be possible to up that a bit) so it is very difficult to "be in the wrong gear"
The combination of the reworked gearbox (a lot smoother and quieter) and lightened flywheel/clutch package make the paddle shifts MUCH smoother both up and down. It even makes using D viable (only in Sport though!) The pops and bangs on down shifts are intoxicating and actually encourages you to change gear more.
He's now back at Bamford Rose having some more tweaks on the engine internals before we move on to the twin throttles.
Also found the Michelin PSS's to be fantastic, more comfortable, less tyre noise, more wet AND dry grip than the RE050's Aston fit.
Now to try and find some wider lighter alloys that don't detract from the "style"

Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 AM
A couple of pics of the trip for you

J & P Alps 14 038 by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

M Alps 2014 020 by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Congrats on the car, Mikey. Sounds like a complete animal! Great shots too. Where was the second one, with the mountains in the background, taken?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Congrats on the car, Mikey. Sounds like a complete animal! Great shots too. Where was the second one, with the mountains in the background, taken?
He's coming along!
I'm not entirely happy with the wheels and stance (working on that )
I need to video a flyby because the noise has changed a lot and is EPIC!

The mountain/lake shot is Mont Cenis on the Italian/French border.
It has a LOT of history and was apparently the route Hannibal took through the Alps with his elephants when he tried to invade Europe many moons ago
It was also one of Napoleons strategic routes as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Cenis

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Beautiful place. I'll have to add it to the "must visit someday" list.