Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

instrument cluster on 08 v8v not properly functioning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
slipperyvantage is on a distinguished road
instrument cluster on 08 v8v not properly functioning

Hey Guys. Thought i could get a little help. The temp gauge needle does not work all the time. It's almost like it is getting stuck; It will stay cold for about 10 minutes, and then within seconds will move to the middle, but does it in a way where it is clear there is an obstruction. It also, does not return to cold when car is turned off. Sometimes the needle won't move at all. I would hate to overheat the car due to a faulty temp gauge.

I called around and this seems like a very expensive fix, but I searched and could find a used instrument panel from the u.k for about $500. My only concern is what happens to my odometer? Do the miles stay with the car or with the cluster. Can i get my car programmed to have the correct miles? And finally, odometer aside; does the car need to be programmed to accept a different speedometer?

Any help appreciated.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 AM
mingso is on a distinguished road
I am having the same problem too, will take the car to the sevice on tuesday see what they say.I hope its a faulty sensor and not the temperature gauge

Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
May have some good news for you in that it's quite a common problem for earlier vantages and it probably isn't the dash cluster. Same thing was happening to me and it ended up being a faulty thermostat (housing degraded and something about a flap not being able to open/close). Search the forum for temp gauge or thermostat and there should be a few threads on it...

Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Hey Astro. I had my cooling system overhauled not too long ago, so I don't it is the thermostat, but thanks for the suggestion. If you were to look at it, you would see that there is definitely something wrong with the mechanism itself.

Still hoping someone will have info on the odometer swap working and how to get my old miles back, or if they are even stored in the cluster.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by mingso
I am having the same problem too, will take the car to the sevice on tuesday see what they say.I hope its a faulty sensor and not the temperature gauge

Hey Mingso, i hope for your sake it is a faulty sensor as well, because the repair quotes i am getting are crazy.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
Yikes, sorry to hear that it's the cluster. BTW what did you have done to the cooling system? (might help everyone troubleshoot)