Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Salvage Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Salvage Car

My car was flooded during the last hurricane. I think it spent the night in about 5 feet of salt water. It is going for auction and I'm wondering if I should buy it back. Do you think that I could ever be able to get it properly fixed or is it just good for scrap now? Here is the link to the auction.
https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=13125791.&ItemID=1412 6170.&RowID=3&PageSource=VehicleResults

The auction's description indicates 60k miles but it actually has 6k miles.

Last edited by Norman75; 02-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough
I would stay away from anything that was flooded, especially salt water. Way too many potential problems to worry about. Unless you plan on making it a dedicated track car or something, but even then it will be a huge financial burden. just my $.02

Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
I wouldn't touch it. Salt is highly corrosive, and much of your car is aluminum. A year down the road you'll start finding more and more issues where the salt has eaten it's way out of whatever places it is hiding.

5 feet of salt water means the car was entirely, or almost entirely submerged.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Yes that's what I thought. I really love this car and would have liked to give it a second life. I guess it will end up being scraped for pieces..

Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
That's so sad! I hope insurance puts you back into the car of your choice. I have to concur with the others. Stay away from it.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Salt water is extremely corrosive. Have you seen the car since its been pulled? I bet lots of parts and grounds are already severely corroded. Shame..

Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Its only good for stripping and parts, mostly body panels, subframes, glass, engine block when cleaned up, etc. There's also a Ferrari 599 on the same site with salt water damage that will suffer the same fate.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
I saw it a few days after the flood and there was some signs of corrosion like the USB key located in the center console.
The insurance was pretty good and gave me a reasonable amount of money. I already bought another car but will miss my aston.

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
5-feet!? So the car was completely submerged? Was the interior fully filled with water as well? How sad.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Yes it was entirely submerged and floated for a few feet from where it was parked.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Speaking of salt!! How about the salt on the roads?? How corrosive is that to our cars? how long can that crap stay on the car before it's washed off? what kinda damage can it do (painted surfaces, most materials are aluminum, compostite of other metals on our cars) ... maybe it's not salt water but it still sucks! ugh

Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sunir
Speaking of salt!! How about the salt on the roads?? How corrosive is that to our cars? how long can that crap stay on the car before it's washed off? what kinda damage can it do (painted surfaces, most materials are aluminum, compostite of other metals on our cars) ... maybe it's not salt water but it still sucks! ugh
Exactly why my car is put away for the winter..........

Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Don't know about others that have to deal with occasional salt on the road, but I never take out the car until we have a heavy rain to wash away the salt.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
Can't imagine the salt is very good for the undercarriage.. BUT at the end of the day, I also can't imagine it affecting anything in a major way unless you DD it all winter for a few years. And even then, I remember a few people on this board dd'ing their AM with snow tires and not hearing terrible news from them.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Norman,

I feel for you. As you know, I got lucky and my car escaped getting damaged in the storm -- the water stopped rising JUST before it reached my garage. I am one of those people who gets quite attached to cars and I completely understand -- and applaud you for -- wanting to save your Aston. Sadly, salt is truly evil. To really save your car, it would require basically a full restoration. That might make it whole again, but nothing short of that would.

Modern Astons are so much better protected against salted roads than older ones were, but salt is still salt. People who drive their Astons on salted roads may not be having problems yet, but there is no question that it will take a toll. The only question is how long it will take.

Love the Brooklands.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Salvage Car